JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Discrete commands- how to make a toggle out of them

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Discrete commands- how to make a toggle out of them Reply with quote

USBlipitor, you sent me this for my last post regarding ToadTog stuff-this design by smithjo601/greg.[/quote]

I seem to have gotten the toadtog thing down, but in the example it tells how to set up a long key press on the power key. I am missing something because I tried it and cannot get the thing to work. If you look at the example and scroll to where it says EXAMPLE: "All off macro", is the "x_" in front of the device name a shift? My 2116 remote doesn't have a x_TV or x_VCR so it has to be either a shift or be the same as my remote DEV_TV or DEV_VCR. Now that macro (all off macro)is supposed to be set on phantom 4 and accessed with the LKPress right?
Next it talks about using phantom 3 as the short power key press. Well I have two devices (DVD and receiver) that only have discrete power commands so what do I set phantom 3 as for those devices? It shows that it is a tracking toggle or DUDE power. I don't know what DUDE power is. Since I don't have phantom 3 set up for the receiver or dvd player, when i press the power button quickly, nothing happens.

please give me some insight or something! Thanks

Last edited by BobF on Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greg's design is very nice. it was done for the type of extender that uses x_this or x_that for temporary device selection. dev_this or dev_that should do essentially the same thing.

dudes and toads. I can't recall what the acronyms stand for, but dudes are devices that have discrete power commands, and toads are devices that have toggle power commands.

lets say your dvd was a dude: on was $71, off was $72, and toggle was $73 (from the third column in KM you can get these $hex, or you can also use EFCs). you would set up your keymoves in IR.exe like this:
dvd/phantom1 - $71
dvd/phantom2 - $72
dvd/phantom3 - $73

lets say your cbl was a toad: toggle is $66. And lets say that the special device for toadtog is "misc:1800". Also, in gregs example he used L4, but the 15-2116 does not have an L4 button, so lets use phantom5 for the non-tracking toggle toad power. Here is your setup for the toad:
cbl/phantom5 - $66 (the toad toggle power)
cbl/phantom1 - misc:1800 $09 $3B
.....$09 for toad-off, $3B = phantom5 keycode hex from KeyCodes.htm and/or from extenderCodeCalc.xls
cbl/phantom2 - misc:1800 $88 $3B
.....$88 for toad-on, $3B = phantom5 keycode hex
cbl/phantom3 - misc:1800 $01 $3B $3B
.....$01 for toad-toggle, $3B = phantom5 keycode hex

I will let you digest this, and then ask more questions.
JP1Files
johann83

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
dudes and toads. I can't recall what the acronyms stand for, but dudes are devices that have discrete power commands, and toads are devices that have toggle power commands.

TOAD stands for Toggle Only Actuated Device. Don't recall myself what DUDE stands for.

Matt
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johann83 wrote:
Don't recall myself what DUDE stands for.

Device Utilizing Discrete Extensions
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are good. Thanks Matt and Mark. Now to see how long I can remember this.
JP1Files
BobF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I got the Toads down and working, but my last question is with the discrete commands.
I have discrete on and off for my denon devices, but they do not have hex values for toggle power. Even the remotes for the devices have seperate power on and off buttons. So with that in mind what do I put as a hex value in Phantom3?

My guess would be to put this string in there: $01 $71 $72

With 01 being toggle 0 and to toggle between $71 ( discrete off ) and $72 (discrete on )

*All theses hex values being the same as your example above
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds right to me.

Now all of our examples used toggle bit 0, which works well for your first toad device.

For your second toad device you need to use toggle bit 1.

If you have not already done so, download extenderCodeCalc.xls as it is the easiest way to ensure you use the right hex codes. Put in the examples above for toggle 0 just to double check to make sure we did them right - you should get the same hex codes (I hope Smile ).

Good Luck,

BobF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I got the extender code calc program and used it- It is nice to have! I did load two devices with toggle 0 and forgot about using different toggle bits for each device. After that though I did figure out by myself that I had to use different toggles.

I will try to get this thing working. I appreciate your help-
GMan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "x_" is defined by the Extender3 in this case. x_ means to interpret following key codes from the mode indicated (x_VCR means the following Phantom2 is the Phantom2 from the VCR device or keymove).

This feature may be different in different extenders or remotes.
bsoplinger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I could follow this setup and info, but I don't have a LDKP protocol, I had to remove it to fit the extender and the devices I needed into my remote. So when the example gets to the spot where it talks about setting up the power key, I'd think I'd want to put the phantom3 (discrete OFF) on power and say phantom4 (system off) on shift power. But I can't figure out how to do that. It seems I can only set a macro for all keys or use a special device and a key that already has a macro on it. I think I'd be ok with the all off macro bound to shift power always, but I'd need the power key to be just power and the fancy power thing, which makes me think I need a 3rd state, which is why I'm sure that person is using the LDKP protocol. Should I maybe have given up device specific macros instead of LDKP when I chose what to remove from the extender to make it fit?
e34m5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case I found the LDKP is much more useful than DSM. I was able to set up exaclty the same functionality you describe.

I set up a SKP/LKP in the same phantom3 key of every device I have. The keymove on every device is like this

DVD,PH3,TV,1106,$41 $83 $47 $83 $63 $83 $78 $3E $55 $83

where 41 is the timing and one function on SKP 83 is shift-power. The rest is the all-off fucnctions.

Then on the power key set up a macro calling the Phantom 3 key.

So the result is that on SKP the shift-power acts upon the last device key pressed, and the LKP does the all-off fucntionality.

You can copy and paste the hex codes above in the IRTOOL and you will see the keys I used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: