JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

'Greyed Out' Buttons in Keymap-Master

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnormandin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: 'Greyed Out' Buttons in Keymap-Master Reply with quote

Currently working with a RS 15-2116 and one of the buttons I'd like to program is the Fav/Scan button. It's on the remote, but in KM it's grayed out.

Is there a way to make this key available for programming or should I move on?

I did a search on the forums but didn't find that this question was asked previously.
asinsh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move on. If you look at the layout tab in KM, you will see the keys that are available for programming in a device upgrade depending on the mode. For the 2116 CBL has the most keys (which is why I program all of my upgrade codes, even TV, DVD, Audio, etc, to be on "CBL" mode rather than the more logical mode...so that I will have more available buttons to program to); but even CBL omits fav/scan.

There is nothing we can do about that limitation...it's hard wired into the remote that in a given mode the codes only tie to certain specified keys.

However, you can of course do a keymove or a macro to the fav/scan button, which should be fine for your purposes.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asinsh wrote:
However, you can of course do a keymove or a macro to the fav/scan button, which should be fine for your purposes.

I don't think the 2116 supports macros &/or keymoves on the fav/scan button by default. I'm sure the extender makes this possible, but on most remotes you need a special protocol to do send an EFC (only for the current device).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using an extender, you can program a keymove to the FAV/SCAN button (but you still can't include it in an upgrade).

Without an extender, if you are using a hacked protocol, KM will allow you to program the FAV/SCAN button as part of your upgrade.

For non-extender, non-hacked protocol situations, you can use the fav/scan special protocol to program am EFC to the fav/scan button (with certain limitations - see the readme)
TimH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asinsh wrote:
For the 2116 CBL has the most keys (which is why I program all of my upgrade codes, even TV, DVD, Audio, etc, to be on "CBL" mode rather than the more logical mode...so that I will have more available buttons to program to); but even CBL omits fav/scan.

When you do this the LCD display reports the device as CBL, contrary to what it might actually be. Is there a method for making the LCD correct other than the CustomModeName in 15-2116ex2. Can the CMN protocol be used exclusive of the extender?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimH wrote:
Is there a method for making the LCD correct other than the CustomModeName in 15-2116ex2. Can the CMN protocol be used exclusive of the extender?

AFAIK, the CMN protocol is currently only supported in the extender. I'm not positive, but I think it uses features of the extender which is why it can't be made into a stand-alone protocol.
asinsh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimH wrote:
...When you do this the LCD display reports the device as CBL, contrary to what it might actually be. Is there a method for making the LCD correct other than the CustomModeName in 15-2116ex2. Can the CMN protocol be used exclusive of the extender?

I don't think so. I use the extender, and I have gone ahead and relabeled all the lcd names so that they read correctly. But if I weren't using an extneder, I still wouldn't care about this, because the lcd display is not terribly important to me.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, this is a clearer definition of why buttons are "grayed out" in KM. Wink

For any given Remote/Device Type combination, there is a "key map" hard-coded into the remote that specifies what buttons are available to it directly. None of the JP1 tools can overcome this limitation, restriction, feature, bug, whatever-you-want-to-call-it, etc. Wink As has been mentioned, take a look at the Layout sheet, and you can see what the default available buttons are for any given device mode. The built-in Setup Codes ONLY supply commands on those default buttons (but don't always use all of them), and cannot use buttons not defined in the key map.

KM uses a "generic" button list (originally based on the 15-1994's VCR mode) that changes with various Remote/Device Type combinations (again, check the Layout sheet). It also allows KM the ability to change remote models, but maintain most, if not all, exisiting button assignments in a sensible manner. In addition, KM shows most of the other available buttons on the remote (including phantoms that don't physically exist). These are prefixed with the "@" symbol, indicating that they're NOT part of the default key map, but can be used as key moves within the the current device upgrade. KM and IR handle all the details of setting these up for you.

Still, there are some buttons, like Fav/Scan on most remotes, that cannot be used in an upgrade or a key move.

The intention behind the key moveable buttons ("@") is to allow users the ability to specify even more buttons in a given device upgrade without having to manually setup the key moves in IR. It is simply a convenience feature.

Therefore, as all the warnings on the Buttons sheet state (in addition to the readme), Buttons on the Buttons sheet that are grayed out are NOT available for use by the current Remote/Device Type.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: