JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manually Inputting EFC Codes (to test for function)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstrickland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Manually Inputting EFC Codes (to test for function) Reply with quote

Is there a way to manually input an EFC code on a UEI (8910) remote? I have a Sanyo TV which uses the NEC1 (Device 56) codeset. All my searches to date have found no discrete codes for power or input. However, I thought if there were a way to try 0 through 255, that it would be worth the effort. Obviously, I can create a dummy device in RemoteMaster and map codes to remote buttons, but would be pretty tedious.

This thread at RemoteCentral.com contained a statement by Johnsfine (who I think posts here too) that made me think that direct or manual input of EFC codes was possible:

Another choice is to get an inexpensive OneForAll remote and try the 256 possible commands by keying in EFC numbers 000 through 255. Most OFA models have at least one of the NEC1:56 setup codes: 0045, 0154, 0208, 0339, 0847, 1142 or 1208. For keying in EFC numbers it doesn't matter which of those setup codes you use, they are all NEC1:56. An older OFA using 3-digit EFC numbers would be easier than a new one using 5-digit, but even with 5-digit you only need 00000 through 00255.

How do you key in an EFC code manually?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Setup]-#-#-#
gstrickland

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>> [Setup]-#-#-#

[Setup] is the set button, right?

# # # is the three digit EFC code, right?

Where/how do I tell the remote that it's the NEC1 protocol, device 56? Or are the EFC codes for 0-255 different for each protocol/device combo?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remote knows which protocol and device code(s) to use once you have programmed a setup code. In your case using the URC-8910, the only setup code that uses NEC1 dev 56 is TV/0154.

The way that most of us would look for secret functions is to program several upgrades that contain all of the unknown OBCs (ie, eliminate the codes for all the known functions). Then we would load those upgrades into the remote, using as many device buttons as needed and then press each button to see if it does anything. But, if you think it would be less tedious to press SET followed by the 3 digit EFC 256 times, that's your call.
gstrickland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob and Mark,

Thank you for your replies. As it turned out, I just pressed [SET] and a 3 digit number going through all the codes from 000 to 255. In hindsight, Rob's method would have been much better, but the job is done. Since I could find no published codes for my Sanyo tv (HT30744), I used the only other Sanyo TV file I could find (AVM-2564U) and then compared what I found. As you might expect, only one code which was published in the RDMU for the AVM-2564U was different from what I found. However, I found at least a dozen new codes which weren't documented in the RDMU I downloaded. As soon as I can clean up what I have, I'll upload a new RDMU for the HT30744 on the off chance someone cares. In any event, I did find some discretes for some inputs.

I've never done any macros with JP1, but it's time for me to suck it up and learn. With the discretes I found, it should be simple to create macros which chain together 3 or 4 commands so that for the first time in years, I can have grandparent-friendly buttons for each activity (Press "x" to watch a dvd; press "y" to watch the dvr; press "z" to watch regular cable; etc.).

Again, thank you for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: