JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for Niles IRD8 infared router.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SemperFi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Looking for Niles IRD8 infared router. Reply with quote

1. Device: Niles IRD8
2. Type of device: infared router
3. Year: ? Guessing around 10 years ago
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: 2117
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? yes
6. Still have original remote? no but note after questions
7. Checked the file section? yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? yes
9. Partially working setup code?
10. Learning remote question?

This piece of equipment doesn't come with remote. It supposedly has a ir emitter built in to teach a learning remote. I went to try to learn the the codes and it isn't seeming to be transmitting. I just get error when trying to record. I can learn from other remotes so it has to be the router.

I am hoping someone has one of these.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a digital camera or camcorder? If so, you can use the viewfinder to see if the IR blaster is actually transmitting.
SemperFi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting Rob. I do have one. do I have to put some special setting on it?

I am sure it isn't working though. Like I said had the remote right in front of it and it just reported an error. When I used a remote to test it had success.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital camera or camcorder will pick up IR from remote without any special filters or anything. It should show on the display as a rapidly-flickering white light. If no light then I suppose next step would be to measure across IR terminals and see if current is getting to the emitter or not.
beverlyhoward

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to robman's suggestion, one tool which has been valuable for me has been a windows media center (EHome) ir dongle coupled with the hid software from;

http://www.byremote.com.au

This combo gives concrete information about what is coming out of any ir device along with the hex values transmitted.

Using _most_ video web or digital camera's in video mode will allow you to visualize the ir beam coming out of any remote... in addition to verifying output, aiming a remote at a blank wall in a dark or dimly lit room will show you how the beam is aimed as well.

I say _most_ as I have encountered one camera which would not detect ir, so, start with a "known good" remote such as your oem tv remote to see what a working device will look like.

hth,
Beverly Howard
SemperFi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Beverly Howard. I don't have a copy of of windows media edition but thanks for the heads up.

This is my dad's system so I get info that is scattered out. I knew 1 of the tv's would sometimes not get the signal. I found out that occasionally others would have same problem. System has been there roughly 10 years and looks like taking the top and having at it with some compressed air would be a major good idea. I don't know if that will fix anything but couldn't hurt.

Anyone know if I can get IR emitters from radio shack, if that is what the problem is. I hate buying from them but sometimes convienence wins out.
beverlyhoward

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't have a copy of of windows media edition but thanks for the heads up.

Sorry... should have included the following.

You don't need to be running windows media edition... just XPPro and install the media edition "IRRollup" on any XPPro box and plug in the EHome ir dongle.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b39d53f1-0ac9-433b-b488-4cab82f31dc8&DisplayLang=en
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=065

The above rollup download requires WGA verification, but, once installed and the dongle attached, the pc can accept many windows commands from the remote and be controlled with microsoft's ir keyboard.

Beverly Howard
SemperFi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beverly Howard where do you get the dongle? I haven't checked out your links yet.

Ok I spent the evening looking around trying to find anything for this ird8. The first place I went was remote central. I did several searches and came up empty. After persuing different avenues I finally did a simple search of niles ird8 and lo and behold I find http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/codes/niles/ird-8/. Looks like pronto info. Can I take this info and get it on my JP1 remote?
beverlyhoward

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming the items shown in the last image are included, looks like

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16880100851

is a pretty good deal as these are the units I am using. Note that two additional ir emitters are shown in the image and those can be used with other ir extenders such as the powermid.

However,

http://www.virtualvillage.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=4474495&utm_source=baseusa&utm_medium=shopping

also looks interesting and is priced right but, while the specs indicate they should work, I have no information.

Beverly Howard
SemperFi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the tool that takes the hex codes from that page and converted them. I used this info in KM and made a new code. Hopefully I can go try it out tomorrow to make sure it works on the equipment.

Beverly Howard thanks for all of that info.
SemperFi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, seems I have a no go here. None of the codes worked. So it seems to me I probobly messed something up.

I think I know where it is. In the pronto decode tool when you click decode hex a box pops up called DecodeIR DLL Results. The first weird thing is there are 2 protocol, 2 devices and 2 each or the obc and efc. The first one is:
protocol Gap-0-3033-33?
device 1
obc 0
efc 189
In the same box listed right below that is:
protocol NEC2
device 128.93
obc 157
efc 0

Now in KM I select NEC2 as the protocol name, correct? Then right below that in the main devices box do I need to put in the 128.93 in that box? I am figuring that is where I messed up. Any ideas?

I guess I can make it work another way if I need to. His current lexicon remote has some of the 16 functions on it. If I learn one or 2 off of that remote I can probobly get the protocol and device info from that. If the efc's are right I could be in like flynn. Only problem is I have to bring the remote to my house so I can upload an old program to it that has the router info on it and program it back. I used to be able to do this at his house until he bought a computer with vista on it. Mad Why can't things be easy?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protocol=NEC2
Device= 128
Subdevice=93

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
SemperFi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I look at it now I can't believe that I couldn't figure that out. Smile

Thanks captain. I saw your post and made the changes this morning. I just tried it a few minutes ago and all the ones I can try work. I assume they are all right.

That got me fixed up. I have the original remotes for everything else so problem solved. I am programming an mx3000 for my dads system. He has 6 toshiba tv's thus the need for router. When he bought the system it came with 2 lexicon 700t remotes. One crapped out last year. I found him a replacement on ebay that is now dead. So with 2 down I told him you need something new. I don't know how good the mx3000 is but I guess I am going to find out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: