JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

VPT and 8810w

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oinge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: VPT and 8810w Reply with quote

I am loading my new 8810w with upgrades mostly originally created for my 15-2116 and 15-2117. No problems except with VPT. I want the volume to always control the receiver. This worked on my 15-2116 and 15-2117 and I have the "Other Settings' set up the same way. When using the SAT device VPT doesn't work. It works in TV mode. When in Sat mode the red LED deosn't light when the VOL+/_ and Mute keys are pressed.

I read through several posts that were returned whenI did a search for VPT, but didn't find anything that didn't checkout or otherwise help.

My receiver and DVR both use device upgrades that also require protocol upgrade.

Another piece of info, I can't manually program the VPT to make it work either.

I haven't tried it yet but I suppose keymoves would solve this problem.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all of the device buttons in their natural state? If you changed the CD button to be a VCR button (for example) that would break VPT in CD mode.
Oinge

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I understood your question. I hadn't resssigned any device keys. In KM I am using a different device type to get more keys. This wasn't different from my 15-2116 and 15-2117. I did try a 992 SAT SAT and VPT did work in the SAT mode, but then I couldn't control my DVR. IR confirmed the code reverted to 0392 instead of my upgrade (0618). Changing to 0618 didn't help until I repasted the upgrade code, but then VPT went away.

A quick attempt at a keymove, didn't work either. The LED would light but the recr didn't respond.

I am going to keep at it as I belive it is something simple I am doing wrong.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oinge wrote:
I am not sure I understood your question. I hadn't resssigned any device keys. In KM I am using a different device type to get more keys.
Translation: you changed the device type of a device button in KM, so VPT is probably "broken" for that device button. Different remotes act differently in this regard, but in most cases VPT will only work if the device button has it's normal device type assigned to it. Keymoves should solve your problem.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could install the extender, and set the TV as the volume device (general tab, other settings) on the front page of IR. "Set it, and forget it."

the extender also adds some other nice features: toadtog (create discrete on/off even if device only has power toggle), long/short keypresses can do different things, increase memory for macros, keymoves, device upgrades and protocols, etc.
Oinge

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was it. I went back and checked my upgrade for the 15-2116 and it was not a problem on that remote, but my problem was solved when I selected SAT in KM for the device type and then transferred the upgrade and protocol to IR and uploaded to my 8810w.

Thanks for the help.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oinge wrote:
...my problem was solved when I selected SAT in KM for the device type and then transferred the upgrade and protocol to IR and uploaded to my 8810w.
Glad you have it worked out.

For future reference, you should know that changing the device type in KM in order to save key moves is perfectly legitimate, as long as you realize that the VPT may not work. In those cases, you'll need three key moves for vol & mute, so changing the device type should be saving you more than three key moves in order to be beneficial. Another penalty in remotes with an LCD display might be that the LCD shows the "wrong" device.

And before Steve mentions it, yes, an extender would do away with the problem too. Razz
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor already wrote:
...or you could install the extender...
mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
...And before Steve mentions it, yes, an extender would do ...
before?

I resemble that remark!

(required wal-mart plug) go forth and buy more wal-mart 8810w remotes people! wal-mart stock closed today at $52.80 a share... that's good but we can do better... let's shoot for $60 by May/04!
JP1Files
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
let's shoot for $60 by May/04!

And that's all from the sale of 8810w's! Shocked
Oinge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally like the 15-2116 and the 15-2117 that I have. The biggest thing I don't like is the LCD displays the Device type selected in KM and not the current active Device (as selected by the button). I have been buying 8810ws (plural) and giving them to friends who have multiple remotes laying around. They like them so well, I have decided to keep one for myself.

So I am helping Walmart stock, although I don't currenlty own any of it.

Also I think I will grow to like the 8810w as I use it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oinge wrote:
I generally like the 15-2116 and the 15-2117 that I have. The biggest thing I don't like is the LCD displays the Device type selected in KM and not the current active Device (as selected by the button).

That's the way LCD remotes work, they display the mode for the kind of device that you have programmed. The idea is that if you have a second VCR programmed to the CBL button, when you press CBL it will display VCR2.

Obviously, this falls down when you pick the wrong device type in KM just to make some extra buttons available. The answer is to pick the right device mode and fill in the blanks with key moves (or learning).

As I'm sure the Lipitor man will point out soon, the extender would allow you to customize the display to read what you want.

Last edited by The Robman on Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
As I'm sure the Lipitor man will point out soon, the extender would allow you to customize the display to read what you want.

Can you imagine what he'd be like if the 8810w had an LCD? Shocked Wink
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
usblipitor already wrote:
...or you could install the extender...
mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
...And before Steve mentions it, yes, an extender would do ...
before?
Before and after, Steve! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Mark Pierson wrote:
Can you imagine what he'd be like if the 8810w had an LCD?
usblipitor at some point in the not too distant future wrote:
...or you could install the extender... ...go forth and buy more wal-mart 8810w remotes...
On second thought, I'm not sure the LCD would have a profound effect.
e34m5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have jp1 an 8810w, an 8910 and a 15-2117. The only thing I find the LCD useful for is to verify the commands when checking a macro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: