JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Power Button Not Working?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silly Burrito

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:15 pm    Post subject: Power Button Not Working? Reply with quote

I've just started messing with the JP1 remote, and so far this is very cool! Now, I have a problem and a question.

For the problem:
It seems as though my power button doesn't want to work. I have a Radio Shack 15-1994.

I press the power button, and nothing happens on the LED. I try other buttons, and they all light up. I can map a power off button to another button, but would anyone know why it's not working?

For the question:
When I began, I chose the plain Jane 15-1994 setup with no extenders. Was this a mistake? What I'd ultimately like to do is to make a macro that I can use for one of the device keys to turn the TV and receiver on at the same time, then set itself up for the Tivo input. Will I need an extender, and if so, will I just have to reload the protocols with a new remote?

P.S. Is there a FAQ about extenders? I've read Tommy's 1.1 guide and I don't remember reading much if anything about them.

Thanks!
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Button Not Working? Reply with quote

Silly Burrito wrote:
It seems as though my power button doesn't want to work. I have a Radio Shack 15-1994.

I press the power button, and nothing happens on the LED.

That sounds like it might be a hardware problem. If you have a JP1 cable and IR, try downloading the remote and saving the file. Then do a 9-8-1 reset. After the reset, see if the Power button starts working. If not, it's likely hardware. If it does work, try reloading your saved configuration and try it again.

Quote:
What I'd ultimately like to do is to make a macro that I can use for one of the device keys to turn the TV and receiver on at the same time, then set itself up for the Tivo input. Will I need an extender...

No... you should be able to setup that macro using IR without the need for an extender.

Quote:
will I just have to reload the protocols with a new remote?

I don't understand this question. What do you mean by "reload the protocols" and "new remote"?

Quote:
Is there a FAQ about extenders?

No extender FAQ, sorry. But, most of them come with very detailed readme's that explain everything they do, and how to do it.
Silly Burrito

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Power Button Not Working? Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:

Quote:
will I just have to reload the protocols with a new remote?

I don't understand this question. What do you mean by "reload the protocols" and "new remote"?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. When I initally set up IR, I had 6 RDFs for the 15-1994 in the main directory. I chose the first one (without any extenders or anything.) because I believed it to be the way to start.

Now that I'm thinking of trying a different RDF file with my remote, I wanted to know if I had to start with a new RDF remote profile and then open up my Tivo and AVR 525 spreadsheets and repaste the same information (device upgrades and protocols), or is there a way to swap RDF files but keep all of your macros, key moves, etc...

It's not that big of a deal to repaste (in fact, it probably took more time to redo the explanation), but I wanted to make myself clear. Thanks for your help, Mark!
Silly Burrito

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I just took apart my remote using the excellent instructions at http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/disassemble/

I found that the rattling noise in my remote was indeed the transformer. Since I'm really not sure how I would reattach a new one, I just took it out. Now, my question is, all of my buttons EXCEPT the backlight button and the power button respond with a flash of the red LED. Does this mean that the transformer controls both the backlight button and the power button? If so, I'll just have to make one of the 4 smart keys an on/off button.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only one RDF file that works with an unextended 1994 and it's named "RSL6RSL0 (RS 15-1994 6-in-1 Smart).rdf". All the other 1994 RDF's are for the various extenders available for it. You can't use any of them unless you're installing the corresponding extender.

If you happen to buy a new JP1 remote, and it's not a 1994 (likely since it's no longer available), you will need to reopen your upgrade files in KM and change them to the new remote before uploading the code. Upgrades are remote specific so you can't use the IR configuration file for the 1994 on any other model.
Silly Burrito

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that makes sense.

Now, last newbie question, Mark. You say that I can set up that macro without an extender. Since I may have lost my power button, I'd like to set it up to when I press and hold the Satellite button, I start a macro that flips to Aux1, changes the input to Video one, flips to the TV, turns it on, and flips back to the Satellite input ready for me to go. I can do this with a long button press without an extender? I was hoping that a short button press would just flip to the device, while a long one would turn everything associated with it on. I plan to use the sleep button to turn everything off as a surrogate Power button now.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need an extender to use the LDKP protocol. You can fake it on an unextended 1994 by using Shift-Sat to do the power-on-and-set-everything macro, and the regular Sat to just enable the Sat device.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you definitely lost the Power button, chances are it's either a bad trace on the PCB, or maybe even dirty or worn contacts. Maybe you might want to try opening up the remote and checking it. I had a 2104 quit on me this summer due to humidity oxidizing the exposed contact areas of the PCB. A little rubbing alcohol and a pencil eraser got it back in working order.
Silly Burrito

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I checked the button itself, and it looked fine. I'll see what I can do...

I like your Shift Idea. That might be what I need to do. Thanks!
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definately stick with the unextended version and write macros to the shifted version of the device key or the 1s through 4s buttons. I personally have the go into a mode set up on the 1s for instance and the come out mode set on the shifted 1s. It makes it easy to remember. My wife doesn't have any problems with it. I'm looking at an extender more from a learning perspective than a need thing. So far I haven't been able to determine it worth in my setup. Maybe after some more digging I'll figure out why I need an extender.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: