JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Magnavox 42MF230A/37 plasma TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lharles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Magnavox 42MF230A/37 plasma TV Reply with quote

Device: Magnavox 42MF230A/37
Type of device: Plasma Television
Year: 2005
JP1 Remote model: 15-2116 and/or 15-2104

JP1 user? Yes, (built the cable based on direction from the original Yahoo group...and had to build another one two days ago when I realized I couldn't find that one! Smile Thankfully, I kept my original notes! WOOT!).

Still have original remote? Yes
Checked the file section? Yes
Checked the Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
Partially working setup code? Yes, TV/0054

Learning remote question? (no or explanation) No...sort of. The remote learns the functions of the manufacturer remote, however it will only perform some functions once without a power off/on. I've only gone through the process of upgrading/uploading to the remotes approximately twice in 2-3 years...so I'm a bit behind on the info...and/or unable to absorb it. Smile

I would be glad to take direction on what to try next and/or provide saved data from the captured remote commands, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Lharles
lharles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject: ...a bit more detail. Reply with quote

Also, as a bit of info related to this...the remote model from the Magnavox website, (www.usasupport.magnavox.com - with a search on the model number), is "TXMTR".

...and, finally, the info I got from the Philips/Magnavox chat people is as follows:

Codes for Philips/Magnavox manufactured remotes can be gathered by visiting/calling: [This provided me no assistance.]
919-573-7854
http://www.gemini-usa.com/gemini/index.asp

OR: [Quoting the chatting person on ye' ol' Magnavox website...]

"If you have a technical question, I suggest that you call 1-888-PHILIPS Monday-Saturday, 7AM-11PM EST and 8AM-11PM on Sundays. A technical representative will be able to assist you with your concern.
Customer Service ..."

I have not done this/made the call to Philips...YET. However, without sounding too callous...I imagine it won't be too fruitful. I was told earlier in the chat session that I would have to get remote codes from Radio Shack since they were the manufacturer of the remote I was working with. The person on the other end o' the keyboard didn't seem to interested in helping me since the remote wasn't one o' theirs.

Thanks for listening...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV/0054 code uses the RC-5 protocol, with a device code of 0, so what I suspect is really happening with your learned signals is that they only work once in a row, but if you press different buttons in a row, they will work.

However, this is irrelevant because the only reason we ask if you have a learning remote is because you can use the learning remote to capture the signal info. After doing the learning, have you tried downloading the remote's memory using your JP1 cable? If you do this, I bet that IR.exe will have no trouble recognising the RC-5 protocol. You can then use this info to contruct a new upgrade.

Of course, most of the Philips TV upgrades in the file section also use RC-5 with a device code of 0, so I'm betting that you could use any of them as a starting point for your upgrade.
lharles

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Thanks for the response! Reply with quote

...and from the big man on campus, himself!

I'll try and go down the path of creating my own upgrade and see how badly I can muck it up. Smile

I have verified that the JP1 cable works, in terms of downloading from the remote, uploading to it, changing devices and mappings and the such. In fact, I'm gloriously pleased that everything else besides this device worked wonderfully, all due to the information I gathered here. Smile

One thing to note, (now that I'm away from my remotes, my house, and the device in question and unable to provide EXACT detail... Smile ), is that the capture of the codes from the original remote show up on the learned commands tab as something like '64 or 65 or 66', (this is in relation to the power button), in I believe the third field, (I'm doin' this from memory and I don't have the interface completely committed to said memory), as if it is changing signal. I don't know if that's relevant, pertinent, or useful...but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Would it be appropriate to continue a discussion in this thread as I proceed with attempting to create my own upgrade or should I start a new thread in another part of the forum, eh? Smile

Thanks!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the response! Reply with quote

lharles wrote:
codes from the original remote show up on the learned commands tab as something like '64 or 65 or 66', (this is in relation to the power button), in I believe the third field,

The reason you get three different EFC numbers for one decode is explained in the "mini combo" section of the DecodeIR documentation:
http://john.fine.home.comcast.net/ir/DecodeIr.html#mini%20combo

If you needed the EFC number, you would need to understand and work with the information from that documentation.

But, if you're building a new upgrade, you don't need to use EFC numbers. If you're using KM you can select to input by OBC number rather than EFC number (in RM you can input OBC numbers without any pre selection of the intention to do so).

When you type in the OBC number and selection (for which of three device fields to use), KM or RM figures out the right EFC value.

The learned signals tab displays EFC numbers in addition to OBC numbers because it doesn't know what you plan to do with the decode information. If you wanted to just supplement an existing setup code (TV/0054) with a few KeyMoves, you need EFC numbers not OBC numbers. If you want to build a new upgrade, OBC numbers are usually better than EFC numbers and for RC-5 protocol that is especially true.
lharles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Still havin' a bit of trouble... Reply with quote

So, I had some time this weekend to attempt building an upgrade for this device. All did not go well.

Following the advice and direction of 'johnsfine', I used the OBC numbers for KM and used that with IR to create an upgrade.

Everything uploaded fine but in the end, I still encountered the problem where the device will accept one input from a key and then cease to function until another key is pressed.

I even went so far as to try and make a macro that would call a key to select the input source, increase the volume by one key push, select the input source again, and then decrease the volume by one key push. This was, er, not effective. Smile

I'll be trying again in the next couple days. I can post information related to the specific information generated by IR or KM later on today if anyone is interested and/or can help this newbie loser. Smile

Thanks...
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Still havin' a bit of trouble... Reply with quote

lharles wrote:

Everything uploaded fine but in the end, I still encountered the problem where the device will accept one input from a key and then cease to function until another key is pressed.

It will behave that way when using learned signals and it will NOT behave that way when using an upgrade.

If you have both an upgrade and learned signals present in the eeprom image, the remote will use the learned signals.

To properly test your upgrade, you must delete the learned signals. That is easy to do in IR's learned signals tab.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you follow all of the steps that John outlined and things still don't work correctly, post your IR file in the Diagnosis Area (and post a link to it here) and chances are we can spot your mistake. It might also help to see your KM file.
lharles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: I managed to do it! :) Reply with quote

I completed the creation of a new upgrade for my TV based on the RC-5 TV/0054 setup.

Thanks VERY much to both 'The Robman' and 'johnsfine'!

At this point, I'm just tryin' to juggle all of the buttons for the various devices and make everything intuitive.

On a side note, is there a simple way to transfer, (as much as is possible anyway), from the 15-2116 to the 15-2104? Or is the most effective way to just import the upgrades all over and remap the keys and the such all over again?

Anyway, I just posted the upgrade in the file section and will be fartin' around with the remote again momentarily... Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't transfer stuff from one remote to another, so you would have to re-configure all your upgrades in RM or KM and then add them to the other remote.
Hichhiker

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Magnavox 42MF230A/37 plasma TV Reply with quote

lharles wrote:
Device: Magnavox 42MF230A/37
Type of device: Plasma Television
Year: 2005
JP1 Remote model: 15-2116 and/or 15-2104

Have you gotten the descrete codes, esp input select codes, to work with this TV?

I was asked to research this for a friend's TV, which does not have descrete codes on original remote.

Thanks,

-HH
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm.... what have you done so far? Checked the file section? Tried any of the codes there? lharles'upgrade is right there, and seems to have no discrete input selects. Does it work? You may have to embark on a code search (but you must be aware of the attendant risks of such a search to inadvertently send a master reset command or some other service-related command)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Hichhiker

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
Umm.... what have you done so far? Checked the file section? Tried any of the codes there? lharles'upgrade is right there, and seems to have no discrete input selects. Does it work? You may have to embark on a code search (but you must be aware of the attendant risks of such a search to inadvertently send a master reset command or some other service-related command)

Thanks for the link. Sorry, maybe I've been away too long, but I was looking in Yahoo's file section and did not realize there was a new one here. I am sure I am just blind, but there seems to be no link to downloads in the forum index and a search of this entire forum for the model number only shows this thread.

As for what I have tried so far - nothing. I do not have access to the TV in question yet, and wanted to do some research before I do. I found this thread and was hoping someone with exactly same TV has figured out what is possible. I am going to download the upgrade and try it when I have access to the TV.

Thanks

-HH

EDIT: Heh, I guess its the "File Section" link at the top of EVERY page. DUH. Sorry, I guess I am blind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: