JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

keymoves vs device upgrades
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: keymoves vs device upgrades Reply with quote

wwwoholic wrote:
What if:

You want it to slice and dice, too" 8)

The extender writers would know better, but I don't think it's possible due to the way the remote processes the EEPROM contents (for sure, it would be difficult to do if it was).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add another twist to the mix, you've only mentioned the VCR/0162 combo code, did you also try 1162 and 1262? These two codes also combine the VCR/0162 and 0454 codes, but with different button layouts. For my VCR, VCR/1162 works perfectly, so I didn't bother creating an upgrade and I only needed to add one button via a keymove (for TAPE SPEED).
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwwoholic wrote:

I understand this is quite insolent of me to suggest anything to you guys, but

I don't mind suggestions, even bad ones can get people thinking, and this was unfortunately a bad one.

I won't go into the complicated reasons why that idea won't work. Just imagine for the moment that it would work and then compare it to the idea I proposed before.

The sole flaw in my version is that it is too much work for Mark to do at the moment to enhance IR. Your idea would have an even harder task for IR enhancement (to have any underlying meaning for that slider bar), but then require difficult (actually completely impractical) changes to every extender. And after all that work the benefits wouldn't apply to those not using extenders (no such problem in my version).

We are heavily constrained by how much programming you can cram in the remote's 2K eeprom. It makes no sense to add lots of code there in order to make slightly better use of the remaining space, when the code itself takes more space than the amount it lets you make better use of.

We are even more heavily constrained by the time available by volunteer programmers.

My suggestion is find a Delfi (Pascal) programmer who has time to make the moderate changes to IR.EXE to spread upgrades around memory, or find a Java programmer who has time for the larger changes to RemoteMaster to read/modify/write (and preferably also upload/download) IR files.
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
I won't go into the complicated reasons why that idea won't work.

Of course I have no idea how it affects the extender simply because I haven't had time and incentive to look at the source code. I just thought it's a matter of changing a couple of base address constants.

Quote:
require difficult (actually completely impractical) changes to every extender.

Actually, my suggestion specifically pointed out backward compatibility. If extender does not support it then RDF simply does not have that parameter.

Quote:
My suggestion is find a Delfi (Pascal) programmer who has time to make the moderate changes to IR.EXE to spread upgrades around memory, or find a Java programmer who has time for the larger changes to RemoteMaster to read/modify/write (and preferably also upload/download) IR files.

Don't kick me too hard. (kicking a little is OK, I guess)
I can volunteer myself, but since it is impossible to do in extender I'd better shut up.
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Just to add another twist to the mix, you've only mentioned the VCR/0162 combo code, did you also try 1162 and 1262?

In fact, I did. Ended up with 1162 as setup code. However I can not say it is perfect, as arrow keys do not work at all. This is probably due to the Panasonic's tendency to put playback controls onto cursor dial. I had to press "play" to make selection in menu go up etc. So I keymoved these and some other (e.g. eject) from 0162.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwwoholic wrote:

I can volunteer myself, but since it is impossible to do in extender I'd better shut up.

My bigger point was that it is unnecessary to do anything to the extender, not that it's impossible.

So are you volunteering for the Delphi programming to add this enhancement to IR or the Java programming to add it to RemoteMaster or what?
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
So are you volunteering for the Delphi programming to add this enhancement to IR or the Java programming to add it to RemoteMaster or what?

Either. Although not sure about Delphi; the last line I wrote on Pascal about 9 years ago. As for MCUs, my experience unfortunately limited to Microchip PICs only.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: