JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

hidden discrete power controls

View previous topic :: View next topic  
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: hidden discrete power controls Reply with quote

hello
thanks for the excellent forum and great tools. I have already made some progress in customizing my OFA8811 so that it automatically sets my home theater amp to the proper audio input when a video device is selected. COOL! I am using the version 3 extender.

question 1. All my keymoves vanished when I converted my remote configuration to the extended version. Is this expected? This is not really a problem for me - I don't need all those keymoves any more because of the powerful macros I can build on the device selection keys, but I was surprised to lose them all. The documentation suggests the keymoves should be preserved, did I misunderstand?

my next mini project is to set up the power macro. Unfortunately 4 of my 5 devices are TOAD (in other words these devices have only a power toggle control on their remotes as opposed to independant on and off controls). I suppose this is common and but it looks like a pain to deal with.

question 2. Is it at all common that a/v devices support additional (secret) on and off commands when the remote only has one button? Should I search for upgrade files or am i better of spending my time programming a TOADTOG extension?

I have some more questions about how to configure power macros but I leave those for another day
thanks again
Brian
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha, I researched further and I see now that the concept of hidden discrete codes is nothing new. The hunt is on for codes for the input and power controls for my JVC TV!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loss of keymoves shouldn't happen, unless they were overwritten by some default keymoves the extender installs automatically, or something.

As for discretes, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't don't. Why don't you list the gear you're using and what setup codes work, and someone should be able to point you to at least some codes to TRY.

You could also look here and here for some options to consider.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friendlyfire wrote:
aha, I researched further and I see now that the concept of hidden discrete codes is nothing new. The hunt is on for codes for the input and power controls for my JVC TV!
As luck would have it, I have a JVC TV and had to do a code search for exactly those items, and I got:
function OBC
stereo I/II 000
off timer 003
display/back 004
return (prev ch) 005
Video Status 2 006
OK (menu/select) 010
Ant/Cable 011
AV Status/Video status 1 013
Closed Caption 014
tuner 016
Video 1 017
Video 2 018
tv/video 019
Video 3 020
power toggle 023
channel down 024
channel up 025
Discrete off 026
Mute 028
Discrete on 029
Volume Up 030
Volume Down 031
0 032
1 033
2 034
3 035
4 036
5 037
6 038
7 039
8 040
9 041
Recall 060
Biphonic 065
cinema surround 066
VNR 069
Sound Turbo 071
right arrow 090
left arrow 091
Service Menu 1 096
Service Menu 2 102
Muting 2 104
On Screen Volume 105
Test mode 107
Brightness 109
Notch 116
+100 119
picture mode 121
Menu/OK 122
down arrow 123
up arrow 124
PIP Freeze 128
PIP 133
MOVE 134
SWAP 137
eco 138
bass 145
colour system 146
-/-- 157
PIP Source 178
sound system 180
PIP Channel + 190
PIP Channel - 191
Game 216
Exit/PIP Off 230

and be VERY careful with this one:
Service menu 106

Further, I would imagine if you have Video 3 and Video 4 inputs, it's worth trying OBCs 021 and 022.

The file I made is HERE. It's a bit unique in that it has a manually-created combo protocol to combine several JVC device numbers, to support some teletext functions from my European JVC TV, but the EFCs and OBCs for the regular functions are standard JVC stuff.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks. I've made significant progress since my last post. I installed a new device for the TV that contains extended codes supportiing discrete power on/off and (hooray!) discrete selection of any of the four TV input signal sources. This drastically simplified the programming effort.

I programmed device select macros to turn on the appropriate device and select the appropriate input on both the TV and receiver. I also programmed power macros to turn on or off both of these devices (everything else I am leaving on all the time, at least for now)

there is one problem I am working on now. Logically everything is working well, but I have a reliability issue. Once in a while the TV fails to obey the command in these macros. It seems that when it fails to respond it stays in a mode where it won't work for a while (i.e if I try a different macro it still doesn't work) and after a bit it "wakes up" and everything is working perfectly and stays that way... until the next time...

The behaviour is consistent with the TV landing in a mode where it has received a partial or invalid command and then new commands won't process correctly until it gets in synch again. Is that a plausible explaination? If so, can I precede these commands with some kind of flush command?

I should also mention that I split the turn on command and the input selectiion command as far apart as possible in case it was a tining problem and the behavior didn't change. The problem occurs if the TV was on or off before launching the macro

The TV model by memory is a AV32D501, hope I have that right. (I'm not home right now) I used the device codes for the JVC 32432 posted by raycam2250 and as far as I can tell those codes work for my model also. I have a few tests in mind to try and isolate the problem but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. If I have ongoing problems I'll post the configuration to the debug site.

thanks again
Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: