JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Power key in "My System" mode w/15-2117?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
damager

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Power key in "My System" mode w/15-2117? Reply with quote

First, thanks to any and all that offer help here - it is much appreciated.

I picked up the 15-2117 remote from RS for $14.99, and I think its a GREAT remote. I bought a JP1 cable, and have played a bit with the KM spreadsheet and IR.EXE. I've even added the ability to use my Go Video DVD player to the remote.

I love the concept of "My System" on this remote, because it is an easy concept for others in the house who are "technically challenged". The only problem is, it seems that the "Power" key in "My System" mode is not activated. Who thought this up?

I'm pretty sure I can make this work (i.e. make the Power key in "My System" mode power up my Sony TV) using JP1, but I'm not sure how to approach this. Can anyone offer some input?
vasqued2
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extender will definitely do what you want. I'm trying to remember how the non-extended remote works. Try the following...

1. Put a key move on the Power button for the TV device and see if MySystem will recognize the keymove. (MySys recognizes keymoves on the TV device keymoves for device 8 and device 0 are internally stored the same). If this works, you're done (assuming your Sony is mapped to your TV device).

2. If that doesn't work, put a macro on the Power button and see if that works. If it does, then you'll need a keymove on the Power button for every other devide to override the macro.

I'm also thinking that the Power button controls whatever the previous device was before you pressed MySys, although as I think about it I don't know how it would keep track of that. You can test this by pressing TV then MySys and seeing if the Power button controls the TV. If this works, you could try the following macro on MySys: TV;shift-MySys.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I haven't used a non-extended 2117 for a long time.

David
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember now which models totally disable the Power key in Home Theater (My System) mode, vs. which are just moderately stupid about it.

Whichever way the 2117 is doesn't change the fact that My System mode without an extender is pretty lame. If you want to configure the remote to be easy for technically challenged house mates, use the extender.
damager

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I'm playing with the extenders now. It looks really cool, but COMPLICATED for newbies like me.
damager

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Extender input Reply with quote

I've installed Extender 2 for the 15-2117 - cool stuff. I have a pretty basic question, though.

I've set up the device buttons using the macros as instructed, and they work fine. I want to change the operation of 1 button in 1 mode - I'd like the "Video/TV" button to operate the "Video/TV" input switch functionality of the TV when I'm in "My System" mode.

Without the Extender, I could just "Learn" this capability, but Learning capability is disabled once you install and run the extender. How do I change the operation of just 1 button in 1 mode using the extender?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the extender My System mode is normally not a unique mode but just a combination of other modes (without the extender it's kind of both a unique mode and a combination of other modes).

The Video/TV key is a member of a specific KeySet. You could find out which by looking in the extender documentation.

Your macro to enter My System mode assigns a specific device mode to that Key Set. (You should know which, but we don't since you didn't tell us).

The usual way to do what you request is to create a KeyMove in that device mode for the Video/TV key to do the TV's "next input" function.

That means Video/TV will do that BOTH in My System mode and in the specific device mode mentioned above. Usually that's not a problem. If it is a problem there are further work arounds to correct it, but descibing them would require knowing the whole layout you want for your remote.
damager

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "TV/Video" key is a member of the "Chan" KeySet. My problem is that I want "TV/Video" and "Sleep" fro this KetSey assigned to the Dev_TV, and the rest of the keys assigned to the DEV_VCR (which I have setup as my PVR).

What do you do if you want keys within a keyset to access different devices?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create keymoves for those keys that are in the wrong keyset. Bind them to the device mode (key) that matches the key set, but use the setup code and EFC/OBC/Hex from the desired device.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
damager

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I understand what you are saying I should do, but I'm confused by the fact that IR.EXE doesn't shot the codes for each button, so I don't know what the Hex codes should be and where to enter them - can you point me to the right info?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it all depends on what setup codes you are using, so we would need to know that. You might find the information you need at http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/adv-codes.shtml
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: