JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

possible to program Comcast remote to use with Pioneer 1018?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gryphon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: possible to program Comcast remote to use with Pioneer 1018? Reply with quote

Hi,

First time here. I'm wondering if it's possible to program the Comcast remote for use with a Pioneer 1018 avr?

I have the Aux set for the Pio, but that just does volume. I've found that some numbers change a couple but not all, inputs. For instance CD and DVD are #6 and #7, I think. I'd like to program the others - esp. HDMI and BD.

I'd also like to know if it's possible to change the All On so that it only turns on and off for the Pio and my Panasonic plasma. I've got TV set for the Panasonic. But the All On currently controls the comcast box too. I try to leave the Comcast box on all the time (less problems that way). So is it possible to take the Comcast box out of the All On button so it will just control the receiver and the TV?

thanks!
kupakai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: possible to program Comcast remote to use with Pioneer 1 Reply with quote

gryphon wrote:
I have the Aux set for the Pio, but that just does volume. I've found that some numbers change a couple but not all, inputs. For instance CD and DVD are #6 and #7, I think. I'd like to program the others - esp. HDMI and BD.

It is possible to program in missing functions using advanced codes, but in order to get the correct code, you need to post what setup code you are using.

gryphon wrote:
I'd also like to know if it's possible to change the All On so that it only turns on and off for the Pio and my Panasonic plasma. I've got TV set for the Panasonic. But the All On currently controls the comcast box too. I try to leave the Comcast box on all the time (less problems that way). So is it possible to take the Comcast box out of the All On button so it will just control the receiver and the TV?

You can do that by following the instructions here

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Programming_the_Remote#All_On_key

That page also has other useful information.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. I'm wondering if it's possible to program the Comcast remote for use with a Pioneer 1018 avr?

I have the Aux set for the Pio, but that just does volume. I've found that some numbers change a couple but not all, inputs. For instance CD and DVD are #6 and #7, I think. I'd like to program the others - esp. HDMI and BD

The good news is you already have a partially working upgrade. This master list has the codes you need. You can keymove the functions to your desired key, without use of a cable.

Quote:
I'd also like to know if it's possible to change the All On so that it only turns on and off for the Pio and my Panasonic plasma.

I'm not sure what you can do with the all on button without a cable.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
gryphon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, kupakai. That page does look very helpful.

The code that's working as described for my Pioneer is 1023.

vicky -- thanks for the response, but I get a not found when I click your link.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I guess I wasn't quite awake.
Pioneer (Yet another Master file) VSX2016
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4128

I corrected the original link too.
gryphon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, vicky.

That link works now, but I'm having trouble getting the codes to work.

My Pio works on code 1023.

I've done the All On/Power settings provided by kupakai which work great (thank again, k!).

But now I'm trying to use the codes from the link to program HDMI 1 and BD. I see HDMI, but no BD in the list of codes.

I tried programming a PIP key with 00094 (I've got the grey OK button comcast remote and read I should use 2 leading zeroes?) but it doesn't work.

I also tried programming the number 1 key (since 6 and 7 work for other inputs by default).

Any thoughts?

p.s. I did find a code that works to step through all the inputs in order, so I know codes can work with my remote, but I was hoping to find the specific code so I don't have to toggle through a whole list of inputs every time.
kupakai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it looks like you won't be able to program the two input functions without using a JP1.2 cable and programming your remote using the computer.

Pioneer has the codes for all the functions published here. It lists the code in Pronto hex in that file, which can be converted to JP1 code using IRTool. It has the code for BD input and verifies that the code of HDMI1 is correct in the file vicky linked above. They are both two part ir signal, and are the type that can't be generated using setup code AUX/1023. If you have the JP1.2 cable to connect the remote to the computer you would be able to use the file above to create a new upgrade to generate those codes.

If you do decide to get or make the cable, I can help decoding those hex codes on Pioneer's site to JP1 codes.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kupakai

Quote:
They are both two part ir signal, and are the type that can't be generated using setup code AUX/1023.

What does this mean? Does the Pioneer master file have a customized protocol? Is this something I should have known? Where would I have found out about this? I just popped open the text file in notepad to see if the functions were there. If I had used KM or RM would this have become self evident?

Anything you can do to educate me would be appreciated.

Thanks
gryphon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, bummer. I kinda thought you were going to say something like that.

1023 was the first Pioneer setup code in the list and it worked, so I stopped there. Probably not possible that a different setup code would work better?

I really appreciate the responsiveness and helpfulness of this board. It seems to be THE place to go for these questions. Thanks for taking the time to explain it all to me!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The audio/1023 code uses UEI's "Pioneer 3DEV" protocol, which is flawed and cannot re-produce all of the button codes that Pioneer uses, and the HDMI button uses one of the codes that cannot be re-produced. Here in the JP1 world, we wrote our own protocol called "Pioneer 4DEV" which can re-produce all of Pioneers codes.

If you were lucky enough to have a remote which includes audio/0300 or audio/0823 (and your Comcast remote doesn't have these codes) you would have been able to program the codes in question.
kupakai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
kupakai

Quote:
They are both two part ir signal, and are the type that can't be generated using setup code AUX/1023.

What does this mean? Does the Pioneer master file have a customized protocol? Is this something I should have known? Where would I have found out about this? I just popped open the text file in notepad to see if the functions were there. If I had used KM or RM would this have become self evident?

Anything you can do to educate me would be appreciated.

Thanks

I think starting from around RM version 1.84 there's a note about some codes not working with Pioneer 3DEV and that RM will not allow you to enter the codes that are not valid. I guess the text file wouldn't have had that note since that note would be in the protocols.ini file.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I verified it was to open the KM upgrade file (using KM) and switch the protocol from 4DEV back to 3DEV, then when you look at the functions list you'll see that some functions have "ERROR" listed where the hex code should be. That implies that these are functions that cannot be generated using the official 3DEV protocol and therefore advanced codes won't be of any use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: