JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to handle 4 "learned" buttons with same EFC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LMolland

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: How to handle 4 "learned" buttons with same EFC Reply with quote

I have used Keymap-Master to create a device upgrade for my Philips DVD home theatre system (LX 3900 SA), and Uploaded it to my Kameleon URC-8060. I did this by learning all the buttons and noting all the relevant details, and then using a different Philips DVD upgrade someone else had created to discover that I needed the RC5/6 Combo protocol. Most of my buttons use "Device 4" but a few use "Device 16" and I have been able to handle that by specifying the device in the "byte2" column on the Functions sheet. (Thanks to everyone for all the info and advice available on this web-site.)

But I was unable to get the unit to "turn on" correctly. There is a power button which turns it off OK, but to turn it on using the original remote you have to press one of four buttons labeled Disc, TV, Tuner & Aux respectively. When I learned these buttons they all showed exactly the same Protocol (RC6), OBC (63), Hex Command (3F) & EFC (187). However they all showed different devices. Disc is device 4, TV is device 0, Tuner is device 17 & Aux is device 21. Also in the "Misc" column it says T=1 for Disc and Tuner, and it says T=0 for TV and Aux.

I've got the upgrade working by keeping the "Learned" signals on buttons M1 to M4 of the Kameleon so I'm happy with that, but I'm interested to know whether this situation can be handled in the Keymap-Master file without keeping the learned signals.

Can anyone advise me?

Many thanks. Lester
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RC5/6 Combo protocol allows for up to three different RC6 device codes. You're already using device 4 and 16, so you can use one more. The "disc" function comes from device 4, so adding that one is easy (so this should be your "power on" function). If you add either device 0, 17 or 21 in the main setup sheet, you can then add either the TV, Tuner or Aux button to the upgrade.

The easiest way to program the two functions left out is to use learning.

However, if any of the 4 buttons in question really use the RC5 protocol (as I suspect they might), you can add as many RC5 device codes as you need using the combo protocol (see 'Protocol Help" tab in KM for more info).
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another alternative is to use keymoves based on some built-in or upgrade helper setup code.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked his remote and there aren't any built-in setup codes with the other RC6 device codes that he needs, but a single "helper" upgrade would work. But if it turns out that some of the buttons in question are really RC5, he can do it all with one upgrade.
LMolland

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys for taking the trouble to help. I played around for a while with the "byte2" info, trying RC5 settings like "0 17".

I also created a new upgrade just containing three RC6 device codes (0, 17 & 21) and with just three of the buttons I need. I then uploaded this and tried key-moves, both with and without the three button device upgrade assigned to a device key.

I couldn't get these methods to work so I settled on Rob's suggestion of adding two of the buttons to my original upgrade (Disc and Aux which are actually the only two I currently use.) I left the other two as "learned" buttons. At the end of the day it's the result that counts and the remote does now work perfectly, with plenty of memory available.

I've now got 4 JP1 remotes doing exactly what I want in different rooms. If not for JP1 I'd have a total of 13 remotes. Plus it's good fun and very satisfying getting the bits together and forcing the remote to do what I need. My last improvement was to make a "battery contact adaptor" and get some little pogo pins from USA (I'm in UK) on e-bay to make it simple to upgrade my Kameleon (it has holes instead of pins under the battery connector.)

So thanks again to Rob, John & everyone whose posts I've read to learn about JP1. Cheers, Lester
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you double-check that all of the 4 buttons that you mentioned really use the RC6 protocol, as I suspect that the TV button at least really uses the RC5 protocol.

If you want to re-try the "helper" upgrade idea, first create the upgrade and assign the two functions to actual buttons (but not the buttons that you want to actually use for them), then assign the upgrade to the DVD device button (assuming that's the device button that you are using).

Then test the buttons to confirm that you set up the upgrade correctly.

Assuming they work, you should do the keymoves using the remote itself (ie, use the 994 command to copy the functions from one button to another), copying the functions from the buttons where you put them in the upgrade to the buttons that you actually want to use.
LMolland

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,
To cut a long story short - yahoooo... Thanks!!
I've got it working perfectly, creating the helper upgrade, testing it, then doing the key-moves (I even managed to do the key-moves in "ir")
----------------------

Here's the long version :-
I've checked the four buttons by learning them again (this time on a URC-7562) and can confirm that they all show up exactly as in my first post. I then deleted the learned signals.

I also uploaded three different versions of my device upgrade to the URC-7562, the only difference being which number I entered for "RC-6 Device 3". (I used URC-7562 buttons A to D instead of the URC-8060's M1 to M4) For example, when I entered "RC-6 Device 3" as 21, then buttons B, C & D all turned the LX 3900SA on in "Aux" mode. ("Disc" works fine on button A as you suggested using device 4) The info below shows some details of this from my keymap-master upgrade file:-
-------------------------------------------------
Protocol Name: RC5/6 Combo
RC-6 Device 1: 4
RC-6 Device 2: 16
RC-6 Device 3: 21
Function OBC byte2 EFC5 EFC3 b2/ov Hex Notes
Power 012 1 27332 050 1 0C 01 Device 4
Disc 063 1 62404 187 1 3F 01 Device 4
TV 063 3 62400 187 3 3F 05 Device 0
Tuner 063 3 62400 187 3 3F 05 Device 17
Aux 063 3 62400 187 3 3F 05 Device 21
-----------------------------------------------

"RC-6 Device 3" set to 0 makes buttons B,C & D turn unit on in "TV" mode.
"RC-6 Device 3" set to 17 makes buttons B,C & D turn unit on in "Tuner" mode.

This got me thinking why do I need the RC-5 part of the protocol when all the buttons seem to be RC6? There are two buttons which I didn't "learn" for my list of functions; these are labeled "TV Vol+" and "TV Vol-" (which I don't need because my TV is not a Philips.) I've now "learned" these buttons and they gave the following :-

Protocol: RC-5, Device: 0, OBC: 16, Hex: BC or BD or BE, EFC: 175 or 167 or 191, Misc: T=0 U=1757:1793

Protocol: RC-5, Device: 0, OBC: 17, Hex: B8 or B9 or BA, EFC: 207 or 199 or 223, Misc: T=1 U=1757:1793

Is that why RC-5 comes into it? Does this "TV Vol" info matter/help?

Anyway, I followed your guidance to create a "helper" upgrade, assigning the required functions to buttons "2" and "3". I then assigned this upgrade to the VCR device button (which I'm not using), and I tested that pressing "2" or "3" turned the unit on in the correct modes. I then did key-moves in "ir" to move these to "M2" and "M3" on the DVD device button. It sounds easy now I know how!!

Many thanks Rob.
Lester
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RC5 dev 0 is a common Philips TV code so when you said that the "TV" selection button used dev 0 (but with RC6) I suspected that it might really be RC5. It's not uncommon for an OEM to use a single OBC as their "select this device" button and just change the device code to the device in question (RCA does this a lot). If you haven't done so already, you should try OBC 63 with RC5 dev 0 to see if that also selects TV mode on this device. (As you don't have a Philips TV, don't worry about those volume buttons).

Just FYI, regarding your "helper" upgrade, you made it larger than it needs to be by putting the two functions on numeric buttons because in an upgrade you either get all or none of the numeric buttons, so even though you only programmed the 2 and 3 buttons, we would have had to put zero codes on all the other buttons. I doubt that you are close to running out of upgrade memory, but if you were you could make a smaller upgrade by putting the two functions on the POWER and MENU buttons (assuming that you're using DVD mode).

Doing the keymoves in IR is indeed easy enough, but IR gives you several options (ie, EFC codes, HEX codes and KEY MOVES) so there's always the chance that you'll pick the wrong one. Asking people to do it on the remote just eliminates the chance of user error.

So, it looks like you're all set now. Could you now load your KM file into the HTS folder in the file section. Regarding the two buttons that are not included in the upgrade, could you list their OBCs and device codes in the Notes section of the KM file.

Thanks,
Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: