JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using the URC-8910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob - One URC-8910 received and working!

If I had to criticise this remote, and bearing in mind this is with the extender, that I have 4 devices and that part of the memory is almost full. Because UK devices and US devices have different buttons (no teletext in US), you need to build just about every device.

That said, there's enough for what I need (just), and I could be a little more creative. For example, with a "two sub-device" device, only set up the keys for the one used more, and set up a more or less empty device for the other. Then add the keys using key moves. I did this with a Sony TV in the past and saved loads of space.

Anyway signing off for now. Thanks Rob.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
If I had to criticise this remote, and bearing in mind this is with the extender, that I have 4 devices and that part of the memory is almost full.
This had been MY number one remote for years, until I ran out of upgrade space, as well. Before I had to transition to a JP1.3, however, I managed to squeeze out of it a few extra bytes.

If you're interested in recovering some memory, you could upload your IR file to the diagnosis area and somebody may take a look and have some creative ideas for you to consider.

As a first suggestion, you might consider deleting those extender special function device and protocol upgrades that you do not use (custom mode name?, pause?, others?) Even if you USE cutom mode name, you might want to dump it, if it helps you out. You have to decide how much you REALLY look at that LCD screen.

Further, there may be ways of structuring some of your upgrades to use less memory (using alternate protocols, NOT defining some buttons in the upgrade, but using keymoves instead, others.)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must be big device upgrades or you have some big protocols. I happily have 10 or so devices stored on my 8910 - Panasonic TV (UK with text buttons etc.), VCR, DVD player, DVD recorder, UK Freeview receiver, Topfield PVR, 3 devices in the kitchen (VCR/TV combo, Freeview receiver), Camcorder etc. I also use the custom mode name but have ditched the multiplexor (I think; I actually use the 8820 now and SWMBO uses the 8910). I have 290 free in the Move/Macro section and 28 free in Upgrades. I need to add a few extra functions for another, newer, Panny TV we have and that ought to just about fill it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: