JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Magnavox BDP170MW8 needed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrenchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Magnavox BDP170MW8 needed Reply with quote

1. Device: Magnavox BDP170MW8
2. Type of device: DVD 1080P
3. Year: 2008
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: RCU810
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? Yes
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? No
10. Learning remote question? States SUCCESS, but won't work on player.
kupakai

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may still be useful to see the learned codes. Post your IR file with the learned codes in the diagnosis area, and post the link to the file here.
wrenchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cleared the remote completely and did it again, and now all commands work except ON/OFF. The ON/OFF turns only my RCA TV ON/OFF, so not sure if my settings are correct.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5681
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't learn anything to your On/Off power key, so it is going to use whatever on/off definition was in DVD 0539. Apparently this definition works for your RCA TV. Its a good thing your not working with a DVD that uses that code.

Try relearning that On/off signal again.

Also your Select button didn't get a clean learn.

It looks like this upgrade from the file area pretty much matches your learns. When you said you checked the file area, did you actually try the upgrades?
wrenchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried about 10-12 different files (.ir), but not that one. I'll try it as soon as I figure out how to do a text file, this has a steep learning curve! The weird thing is I have to keep doing the learned codes on this remote several times before it "takes". The On/Off never took, I tried a dozen times. Every code I tried from online turned the TV (L42FHD37) on or off with the On/Off button. Is there an On/Off "Pass Through" on the RCU810 remote? I think I uploaded one of the failed saves, sorry about that. I replaced it, but the Select button is turning the DVD On/Off now!
This is frustrating, thanks for your help.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For learning, read this.

Try learning the On/Off button to a different button on your remote other than the On/Off button.

Uhhh...what do you mean you tried a bunch of different .ir files? .ir files are not upgrades, they are remote images. You make your OWN IR file, but input into it upgrades created by either RemoteMaster or KeymapMaster.

RemoteMaster upgrades are .rmdu files, while KeymapMaster upgrades are .txt files.

Presuming you've been using .rmdu files and RemoteMaster:

For a .txt upgrade (Keymap Master upgrade), RemoteMaster can import it. In RM, go to File>Open> and change File Type to "KeymapMaster device upgrade files" and navigate to where the text file is saved and RM will open it just fine.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wrenchmonkey. I hear you on that steep learning curve! I really struggled with that myself. And then I didn't buy another piece of equipment for 3 years, and when I came back I had to start from scratch and I had to reopen all those circuits in my brain. It was painful all over again.

Some keys on some remotes don't allow learns, but I don't have any idea if the On/Off is one of those keys for your remote.

Here's a hint on learning. Do it in a very LOW LIGHT environment. Sunlight or fluorescents can interfere with learning process. Here in my office, I have to step into the closet to get clean learns.

Since you don't know how to use a txt file, you must be using RM. In the Open dialog, change the upgrade type to look for.

Good Luck
wrenchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'm using ir.exe. I finally cheated, and changed the Select button, which changed to turning the DVD On/Off, to the On/Off button, and relearned the Select button. I do think I was too close to the window. They're all working now, so I re-uploaded the working file in the diagnosis section, or should I put it somewhere else?

I did the same thing as you vickyg2003. I did this in 2001, and now learning it all over again with new equipment.

Thanks everyone.

Capn Trips: I meant codes, not ir files. Sorry.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what exactly are you doing with the "codes"?

I recommend that you re-read the beginners' readme (linked in my sig below).

1. You download your remote (with learns) into IR;
2. Read the decoded signals that you learned;
3. Enter that data in either KM or RM to build an upgrade;
4. Copy and paste that upgrade into IR;
5. Upload that IR image back into you remote.

You can skip steps 1-3 if you find an upgrade in the file section from which to start (as you seemingly have).

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrench, I really think you should go and review this thread. I think its been too long since you read the beginners docs.

I think you've totally forgotten about upgrades. You probably were just using keymoves and learns before.

Good Luck
wrenchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips: I'm putting the codes I found on the internet into the DVD section in the General tab in ir.exe.

PS- I can't get KM to work with Vista and Office 2007.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You REALLY need to reread the beginners' docs. It's not quite as simple as you are trying to make it.

The upgrade code numbers you find associated with device upgrades are arbitrary numbers assigned by whoever wrote that particular upgrade. Those upgrades are NOT pre-loaded in your remote, so they are EXTREMELY unlikely to work. If you want to use any of those upgrades, you MUST open it in RM or KM and copy the entire upgrade into the Device Upgrade section of your IR file.

It would be serendipity of ASTRONOMICAL proportions if a randomly selected Setup Code number you enter as you say you have been doing were to work.

Amazon Firestick
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn, I think wrenchmonkey only has one objective, and that's to make the remote operate the DVD. He's probably going to go into hibernation until the next piece of equipment comes along that isn't going to be able to fit into the learning section, or until he learns a signal with a toggle bit that will force him to learn about upgrades.

I know I left most of the power of JP1 untapped until that one piece of equipment forced me into it kicking and screaming. Laughing

Have I thanked YOU lately for helping me through that period where I couldn't make heads-or-tails out of all the technical jargon and was so absolutely frustrated that I felt like crying.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Capn, I think wrenchmonkey only has one objective, and that's to make the remote operate the DVD. He's probably going to go into hibernation until the next piece of equipment comes along that isn't going to be able to fit into the learning section, or until he learns a signal with a toggle bit that will force him to learn about upgrades.
Yeah, I figure you're right. Unfortunately, nobody else will be able to benefit from an upgrade that he could have easily created and added to the file section. It's the SHARING that makes this forum work. When it becomes a 1-way street, its utility falters.

Amazon Firestick
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's the SHARING that makes this forum work. When it becomes a 1-way street, its utility falters.

Well in this case, the functions appear to be covered in an upgrade in the DVD section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: