JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I know it's been asked before...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
This is less of a JP1 question and more of a philosophy question. If it makes you feel better, buy three remotes (the 8820 looks and feels like the 6131) and then you'll worry less about the cost of the cable.

The 8820 looks and feels like like the 6131N, not the original 6131, but Underquark has a really good suggestion. Buy a few remotes if that will make you feel better about the cable. You won't be sorry.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's human nature, I guess, to baulk at spending more on an "extra" than the original item costs. Today I ordered a trailer lights cable (fried the old one on the car exhaust Embarassed ) for £1.20 and hesitated before agreeing to £2.50 postage. The total cost of the solution is still cheaper than if I'd gone to the local automotive store.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
It's human nature, I guess, to baulk at spending more on an "extra" than the original item costs. Today I ordered a trailer lights cable (fried the old one on the car exhaust Embarassed ) for £1.20 and hesitated before agreeing to £2.50 postage. The total cost of the solution is still cheaper than if I'd gone to the local automotive store.

You're definately not the only one with that problem. Everytime I ordered remotes from Rob, I'd order as many as he could ship at his flat rate. That really adds up at fast, and then WHAT DO I DO WITH THEM ALL?!? Rolling Eyes I hide them so my husband doesn't find out, and then can't remember where I put them and need to order more. Embarassed
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be thankful Bob doesn't sell shoes. Much harder to hide, more of a tripping hazard.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention shoes. Several people that have seen my collection of remotes have called me the Imelda Marcos of remotes. Laughing
JediMasterNerd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I received the 8820 remote yesterday (had already ordered it before seeing the latest comments) and I had made a discovery that may solve my XBox 360 issue altogether... More on that in a minute...

First, regarding the RS remotes... Wow, I guess I totally missed those! I did a search for universal remotes at RS and a bunch come up. The first few are RS remotes that have the play buttons on the bottom and then came TONS of OFA remotes for different college teams. I guess I didn't look much past that and missed the other RS remotes Embarassed C'est la vie!

Now on to the discovery. Maybe this is old news but I never saw any references to this and maybe I can't do what I want to do but I think I can...

So I was programming my equipment into the remote yesterday and while programming my Sony SVR-3000 (TiVo) I tried the first code (PVR/1972) and while it didn't turn the TiVo on - it did turn the XBox 360 on! I then loaded up a DVD and all of the keys work... I can turn it off and on, I can play, pause, FF, Rew, Next, Back, arrow navigation keys and info. The only key that doesn't work is the menu key. It does something but does not do the DVD menu. So it works almost 100%... One of these days I might play around with it and see if I can get the menu working and then I'll be all set. Of course, I still want a PVR too...

So I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) I can do a keymove from PVR to DVD for PVR/1972 and then setup PVR to PVR/0636 to control my TiVo? Then the XBox 360 control will work off of DVD and TiVo will be off of PVR again. Am I missing something?

Thanks again!

J.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its not keymoving, its actually remoding the device as another, but yes it can be done. Like so:

1. press and hold SET for two blinks
2. enter 9 9 2
3. press the PVR device key
4. press the DVD device key

Now program the dvd device key with PVR code

The reason the 360 responded to the PVR 1972 is because it is a MCE..
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PVR and DVD device buttons both use "VCR" codes, so there shouldn't be any need to use MODE MAP, the same set of codes should be accessible from both device keys.
JediMasterNerd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The PVR and DVD device buttons both use "VCR" codes, so there shouldn't be any need to use MODE MAP, the same set of codes should be accessible from both device keys.

Just tried that and it worked great... Guess I should have tried that last night! Embarassed

Awesome, thanks!!

J.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: