JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I know it's been asked before...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediMasterNerd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: I know it's been asked before... Reply with quote

...and I have searched the records and I think I already know the answer but before I go down the full JP1 route I want to be sure it's needed...

I have been a URC 6131 user for years and years and love the remote. I never had a need to mod it so while I used the advanced codes I have not entered the JP1 world yet. It was time to re-do my home theatre, etc so my 6131 is now located in my bedroom and after researching for a new remote I've decided to pick up the URC 8820.

Most of my devices are straight forward - A Vizio HDTV, Onkyo Receiver, Sony Series 2 TiVo, etc... But of couse I had to complicate matters and get an XBox 360 as well. So now I'm looking for a remote to control the DVD player inthe 360.

From what I've read here and noticed through the OFA website, the XBox 360 code it not natively supported by the 8820 (or any OFA remote it would appear). If this not correct, please correct me (I'm holding out hope) Smile

Assuming what I said above is true, then based on other messages my options seem to be:
1) Return the remote to OFA for an upgrade adding the XBox 360 code to it.
2) Pick up a JP1 cable and use the file on this site to add the XBox 360 code to the remote.
3) Be unscrupulous and pick up a XBox 360 Media Remote, use it to teach the 8820 the new codes and then return the XBox 360 remote.

Option 1 is relatively cheap and uses the manfacturer to do the programming, however it limits the future upgrades of the remote compared to a JP1 cable.

Option 2 is the most expensive of the options making a $12.50 remote now cost $30 ($18 for the JP1.2 serial cable)... however this is the option with best possibilities for future use plus the cable could potentially be used with other remotes.

Option 3 is the least expensive but I don't like buying something just for the sake of using it once and returning it...

So does the above sound about right?

Assuming it is correct then I'll likely be picking up a JP1 cable for the 8820... Where's the best place to get one? The FAQ on the front page points to 3 places, 2 appear to be out of business and one is out of stock on the JP1.2 Serial cable (diygadget).

Also, what other fun things can one do with a JP1 cable? I see that everyone who has started to do it can't stop --- but what do you do to your remotes that makes it all worthwhile??

Thanks a bunch!

J.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jedi,

If the cable is going to be a hardship then by all means go with option 3. The 8820 has lots of learning memory. Certainly you must know someone else with the xbox 360. Borrow their remote, or if there's a gaming store around see if you can't just go into the store and use their remote. No need to buy and return.

But if you are trying to avoid the cable simply because its more expensive than the remote you might be missing out on some really Nerdy-fun. I know I was very reluctant to buy the cable, because it was 2x more than I had paid for my remote. For me, just being able to SEE my macros made this worthwhile. When I finally got around to using an extender, with all the JP1 specialty protocols, and fast nested macros, it really got me hooked. So hooked, that when the JP1 remotes started disappearing, I started JP1.2 extender development because I could NEVER go back to an unextended remote.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The xbox 360 code is dvd 1708 or 21708, and it isn't in the 8820. But it is in certain UEI made oem remotes for cable tv boxes and directv. And it is in newer UEI made radio shack remotes like 15-133, 15-134, and 15-135.
kupakai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have some difficulty with option 3 anyway. I'm not certain since I don't have Xbox 360, but it uses MCE protocol which has a toggle bit. That means there are essentially two sets of ir codes that alternates and learning the code won't learn both sets. The result is that you won't be able to use the same function consecutively since after the first time, it expects either a different command or the ir code of the second set of the same function. There is a way to turn off the toggle bit on the receiving end on an MCE computer, but I don't know if there is a way on an Xbox 360. Upgrading, either by option 1 or 2 will function correctly since the toggle bit function will be programmed correctly.

The DVD/1708 code is not built in on the URC-8820 as Edmund says, but the code for MCE is (CBL/1272). This page describe how to change the setting on the Xbox 360 to accept MCE codes. You can see if that works.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for a source for a cable, I recommend buying directly from Tommy Tyler, who designs and builds the best cables around. He also seems to be the only consistent supplier in recent months. His JP1.2 cable is a USB cable (not serial). But I grant you that the expense is a bit higher, so you may not deem it worthwhile, but as vicky explains above, with a cable, the world of customizing your remotes simply expands exponentially!

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also possible your Vizio TV remote is a JP1.2/JP1.3 remote so you can amortize the cost over 2 remotes.
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the Vizio remotes I am familiar with are not JP programmable...
JediMasterNerd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, awesome feedback, thanks all...

Getting the cable won't be hardship, but since it does significantly increase the price it becomes a factor in the decision making process. I hadn't considered borrowing an XBox remote from a friend - but I don't think any of my XBox-owning friends use the remote for it Smile

I had looked at some of the RS remotes, but all of them had the play button on the bottom of the remote which I really don't like - it's one of the buttons I use the most and having on the bottom of the remote doesn't work well for me. Yes, I could move it but that would just confuse anyone else visiting the house and I need some simplicity when the grandparents watch my boy (looking forward to using macros) Smile

That's good info about the 360 and the MCE... I wasn't aware of it. Right now, though, I'm leaning toward hitting the JP1 world and this bit of info helps to make that decision...

Thanks for the link to Tommy's cables... Looks like a good source for them. Should I look at the 1.2 cable though or would it be better to get a 1.x cable? The 1.2 cable will work with the 8820 which is my main target remote but I'm also think that maybe someday I'll get a chip in the 6131 or that another remote and it may not be 1.2 compatible. Of course, it's thinking like this that always makes me get something I'll never make use of so I should probably be okay with just a 1.2 cable and the USB interface is certainly better then a serial interface Smile

One of my Vizio remotes does have a chip that's visible that I assumed when I saw was a JP1 chip but I wasn't sure if it was and if the remote was programmable through it or not. I would assume so since they made it visible and accessible. Anyone have any more info on the Vizio remotes and if it is programmable through the chip and if it's JP1 or 1.2 or 1.3?

Thanks again! Love the info!!

J.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6131 is a plain JP1 remote.

JP1.x cables are ONLY compatible with JP1.1 and JP1.2 remotes. JP1.1 remotes are older and pretty scarce. IMO, there isn't one JP1.1 remote that has enough memory and forum support to make it worthwhile.

The JP1.2 cable is comaptible with JP1.2 and JP1.3 remotes. If you buy something new, these are the remotes you'll be running into.
JediMasterNerd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops! My bad then... I thought the JP1.x cables were good for all versions... Didn't realize it wasn't good for JP1 so I guess that changes everything Smile Guess I'll be looking at the JP1.2/1.3 cables then...

Thanks again!

J.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole JP1 JP1.x JP1.2 thing does get a bit confusing. One can only guess what UEI will be doing next.

You might want to look at the ATLAS remotes too. They are ugly, but they have a very nice layout. The JP1.2 and JP1.3 Atlases have lots of memory and extenders, although I'm not 100% certain if unclemiltie has the JP1.3 extenders out of beta or not.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediMasterNerd wrote:
oops! My bad then... I thought the JP1.x cables were good for all versions... Didn't realize it wasn't good for JP1 so I guess that changes everything Smile Guess I'll be looking at the JP1.2/1.3 cables then...

Thanks again!

J.
Read this.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The play key on the Radio Shack 15-133, 15-134, and 15-135 is dead center in the middle of the remote.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/popup.jsp?productId=3064079
kupakai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediMasterNerd wrote:
One of my Vizio remotes does have a chip that's visible that I assumed when I saw was a JP1 chip but I wasn't sure if it was and if the remote was programmable through it or not. I would assume so since they made it visible and accessible. Anyone have any more info on the Vizio remotes and if it is programmable through the chip and if it's JP1 or 1.2 or 1.3?

Both the universal remote that are shown on this page should work with JP1.2 cable (I believe the VUR5 is JP1.2 and the VUR8 is JP1.3, according to their RDFs). It seems currently only their largest TVs come with one of those universal remote, and others have dedicated remote that are not JP1 compatible. I thought I remember seeing more of their older models come with VUR5 before, but maybe they changed that.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is less of a JP1 question and more of a philosophy question. If it makes you feel better, buy three remotes (the 8820 looks and feels like the 6131) and then you'll worry less about the cost of the cable. If you can guarantee that you will never again be in such a situation (i.e. you won't be buying any new IR-controlled equipment) then don't buy a cable but just get the manufacturer to load the code for you (may be free but it's a hassle doing without your remote for a few days).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: