JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do you get from a learned IR code to an upgrade?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacqueusi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: How do you get from a learned IR code to an upgrade? Reply with quote

Happy New Year everyone. This is my second attempt at trying to replace my Pronto Neo with a RS-2116. Since my first attempt 6 months ago, I've noticed that the documentation, groups, and tools have gotten much better. I've reviewed How To Rev 1.1 and have gotten further than my first attempt.

Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty grasping how to convert a learned IR code to an "upgrade". For example I have a Qtronix IR keyboard. My Pronto would not learn the code, but out of desperation I found my 2116 would! Quickly ran out of memory though hence the need to upgrade.

Anyhow, for each command (i.e. CBL: Up) I'm getting two # (1 and 2), Protocol of Gap-260-610-40?, Device 128, Sub-Device 0, OBC 0, Hex Cmd <blan>, EFC <blank>, Misc 80.0.0.53.0

There also references to Raw Data.

Could anyone point me in the right direction to converting this to less memory intensive remote upgrade?

Thank you.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Gap" decodes are just rough summaries of the signal that help an expert jump start the process of investigating a new protocol, and/or check for CCF files with the same signals. There isn't much there a beginner could use.

To get expert help you should learn several of these (I guess you already did if you filled memory) and use IR.EXE's file/save command to create a file of the eeprom image, and upload that to the Yahoo JP1 group's diagnosis folder (then post that file name back here).

Meanwhile I might be able to find a CCF file for the same signals based on just what you quoted above.
jacqueusi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine,

Thank you for the quick response. I uploaded the file (qtronix.txt) into the diagnosis folder. I took a peek at the file and am amazed that anyone can make sense of it Wink.

Thanks again.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you get from a learned IR code to an upgrade? Reply with quote

jacqueusi wrote:
My Pronto would not learn the code, but out of desperation I found my 2116 would!

Did the signals the 2116 learned work?

At first glance (especially given the fact that your Pronto couldn't learn these) I suspect what the 2116 learned is just the beginning of a signal that is too long for the 2116 to learn correctly.

But maybe it's actually correct, or maybe the beginning it learned is enough to operate the device. So it would help to know if those signals work.

I also would have expected a Pronto to learn a decent chunk of the beginning of these. What DID happen when you tried to learn them with the Pronto.

I'll examine the learned signals more carefully tomorrow, except hopefully by then Jon will have looked at them and told us the answer.
jacqueusi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that you would bring up the subject. Some of the keys worked, for example the up, down, left, and right. I don't recall the number keys working though, but chalked it up to a user error. Strange as the 2116 stated that all the codes were successful. Looking forward to seeing tomorrows reply.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also John, just FYI, he was using a Pronto NEO which is a totally different beast to the regular Prontos that you are used to seeing the output of. The NEO doesn't use CCF files for example.

And here's the link to Jac's file: qtronix.txt
jacqueusi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generated the file from the 2116. The ProntoNEO refused to learn the codes Sad

Actually, it may be a good thing as I've been wanting to dump the Neo for quite some time. Having real buttons is a big plus.

* Just a sanity check. I found codes for both my Onkyo 898 and Philips Tivo. The steps I followed:

1. Import from keymap-master v8.08.xls
2. Copy the files and and paste what's in the clipboard into the ir.exe (v4.01) Devices tab > Add > Paste.
3. IF protocol is available, follow steps 2 but for Protocol.
4. Next, under the General tab take the "Code" from step 2 and assign it to the desired device.
5. Last, Upload to remote.
6. Use remote? Correct? I think I may have missed something as neither the Tivo or Onkyo commands work.

What have I missed?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacqueusi wrote:

* Just a sanity check. I found codes for both my Onkyo 898 and Philips Tivo. The steps I followed:

"codes" could mean too many different things, so I have no idea what you mean by the above.

jacqueusi wrote:

1. Import from keymap-master v8.08.xls

I also don't know what you mean by that. For the level of detail you used in the rest of the steps, I'd expect a few more details here (loading an upgrade file you found, changing the model of remote to match yours, reaaranging assignments on the buttons tab, etc.)

The rest of your steps sound right.

jacqueusi wrote:

6. Use remote?

Always save the eeprom image to a PC file before uploading to the remote. If the results are confusing, you can post that file to the diagnosis folder and post the name of it here and describe the unexpected symptoms you got. ("doesn't work" usually isn't enough. People say that same thing when a few of the functions fail, or when all of the functions fail, or when the display on the LCD indicates the functions aren't even there).
jacqueusi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips. I was writing things on the fly which I've found doesn't provide enough detail. I did manage to get my Tivo functions working using the txt files I found on the Yahoo site. The results were quite encouraging. My next step is to document the steps I took for my Nokia 898 and assuming my steps don't work, I'll be sure to post the steps to the letter to the group. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: