JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

help with creating an upgrade

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tildajones

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: help with creating an upgrade Reply with quote

I'm not sure which forum to really post this in; so, I went with the safe bet and put it in beginners. Here's the issue:

I have created an upgrade file for a satellite receiver (Sonicview SV-360 Elite) and all the buttons are working as expected except one. I used a JP1 learing remote (URC-8811) to store the IR code for the FAV button, and it works when I press the L1 key that I programmed it to. I open IR.exe, and it decodes the signal (perfectly???). I put the OBC, EFC, and hex values into my RM upgrade file, get the upgrade code, and use IR to load it back to the remote. The FAV button does not send the same signal. It appears to cycle channels until pressed a second time. Very strange!

I have created a fair amount of upgrade files and this is the first time this has happened. I can provide an IR file with the learned signal as well as any other files needed to help figure this out. The RM file is already uploaded to the files section.

If anyone wants to take on (what I feel is) a challenge, I would greatly appreciate it.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall exact details of what you can change for the Fav button without using the extender, but anyway not much. The "strange" behavior you see is the default behavior of the Fav button.

You might need to use the extender to get the behavior you want.
tildajones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply johnsfine. I will look into using the extender; I'm not familiar with it.

I do have another quick question. What is the misc field in the learned signal tab of IR used for?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tildajones wrote:
I do have another quick question. What is the misc field in the learned signal tab of IR used for?

DecodeIR.dll is designed to cram as much information as practical into the structure of device, subdevice and OBC numbers, even if that doesn't really fit the meaning of the values within a specific protocol.

Different protocols vary widely in what sort of data is carried in each IR signal. Sometimes the information can't be reasonably crammed into device/subdevice/OBC. The misc field is one of the places DecodeIR.dll reports information that doesn't fit well elsewhere.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FAV button on the 8811 is considered a "special" key and is not programmable without using the extender. If you were able to assign a function to it in RM then there's a minor problem with the RDF that should be corrected (unless you selected one of the extender RDF's by mistake).
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded that rmdu file to take a look, because I wasn't sure about Fav support. Some model (I think the 7800) lets you put Fav in an upgrade.

RM put Fav as a keymove, because the 881x does not allow Fav in the body of an upgrade.

So far as I recall, no model allows Fav to work as a KeyMove, without the extender. Certainly the 881x doesn't.

I remember we defined some RDF file syntax that would tell RM which keys can't work as KeyMoves. I don't know how far support for that got. Maybe the 881x rdf file just lacks that info for the Fav key. It is unfortunate, that the user has to discover certain KeyMoves won't work, rather than getting warned on the buttons sheet of RM when defining the impossible buttons.

The extender would make it work. One of the purposes of extenders is to allow KeyMoves and Macros on almost all of the buttons on which the built-in firmware rejects them.
tildajones

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! That was a lot of great information. Glad to know the FAV button my 8811 is a special button that cannot be assigned with out using an extender. So, based on what I'm reading, my decode of the IR signal is correct; the button assignment is the issue (because FAV is reserved in the regular RDF). Using an extender will allow me to program the FAV button as I expect?

I have read up a little bit about the extenders (what little I can since this morning during work hours). The extender appears takes the learned heap space and convert it to macro and keymove space on the EEPROM. I'm not sure how that would modify the pre-programmed functionality of the FAV button on my 8811 unless that code was in the learned space. Or is there more to an extender than just memory allocation?

[edit]
Disregard the above question. From the Extender FAQ:
(c) Much greater control and flexibility in button/function assignments. This goes from being able to assign keymoves to buttons you normally could not to virtually unlimited macro length (through nesting)
[/edit]

Some threads I've been reading:
Beginner's Extender FAQ
8811 Extender

Any other recommended threads for helping me to wrap my head around this? I greatly appreciate the help; it will certainly help me to get my SV-360 Elite rmdu correct for the community.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: