JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8810w- a couple general questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbalight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: 8810w- a couple general questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I have a walmart 8810w and had a couple questions: 1. does anyone know if walmart will be re-stocking this remote again? 2. is the 8811 the same as the 8810w, and if not, what are the differences?

I was able to finally find a remote (the 8810w) that I was satisfied with, so now I'm considering a back up...just in case :) That is if I can find one...I had to go to a walmart about an hour away to finally find the 8810w, and the one I bought was an exhange at that! My paranoia about having a "back up" is due to this forum :) Let me explain, I built a jp1 cable yesterday and was able to interface with the remote...very awesome! So now I'm all hyped up about the possibilites, but I'm also worried about having only *1* of this awesome remote(you never know what may happen). Any input would be welcome and appreciated.

BTW, I'd like to thank everyone in this community, and everyone who has contributed to the archived info and files. It's really great when people develop ideas like this and then share the knowledge.

-paul
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 8810w- a couple general questions Reply with quote

gbalight wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have a walmart 8810w and had a couple questions: 1. does anyone know if walmart will be re-stocking this remote again? 2. is the 8811 the same as the 8810w, and if not, what are the differences?

1) You should have asked that when you were at the Walmart, and told them how many people in this forum have commented negatively on how long they usually take to restock the 8810w after it is sold out. They might actually listen.

2) The only differences are which retailers stock it and what they charge.
[/quote]
gbalight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply :) I'll *definitely* voice the question the next time I'm there. I have no problem with exhcanges/returns/interfacing with retail personnel in general, so I guarantee that I'll be heard. Maybe not by the *right* people, but someone will definitely get an ear full :)

I've been looking for one of these for about 2 weeks now, and had to hit 3 different walmarts in a 1 hour radius before finding one(the exchanged one). Depending on any info/help I get on my next trip to the walmart electronics dept. I'll post the results. Thanks for the model clarification.

-paul
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Another option is to buy one from Rob for $25. With tax at Wal-Mart they come up to $22 so it is pretty much the same, and with the gas money you are spending driving for hours to 3 different Wal-Marts, you will actually come out ahead! Smile

I like the 8810w alot. But after using it for a while, I realized I would also like to have available a smaller lighter remote so I could reach all the keys with one hand without doing alot of shifting the remote up and down. The 6012m looks like you took the 8810w and shrunk it. Then I decided I wanted a remote that had keys for my DVD and PVR, so I tried the 6131m and found I liked that one even more. They all have extenders available for them. So before you buy a few more 8810w's, take a look at some other models. (Rob has them all pre-modified and ready to go. The 6012m is $15, 8011 is $18 and the 6131m is $25).

Here are some pictures (click to enlarge):

[
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
Another option is to buy one from Rob for $25.

Actually, I'm all out of the URC-8811 and I don't have any immediate plans to re-stock it because I can't compete with the Walmart price. I'm also out of both the 6012 and 6131 but I do have more on the way. At this point, I'm expecting to get them sometime next week.

I do still have the 8011 available though, and I also have the classic URC-7800 "Cinema 7"
gbalight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
Paul,

Another option is to buy one from Rob for $25. With tax at Wal-Mart they come up to $22 so it is pretty much the same, and with the gas money you are spending driving for hours to 3 different Wal-Marts, you will actually come out ahead! Smile

I totally agree Smile He's currently out of the 8811s though, so I'll just have to wait and see(he doesn't list "more on the way", so...?).

It's funny that you mentioned the 6012, that was the model that I was originally looking to pick up. That was until I found out that -stock- it wasn't jp1 compatible. So I'm checking Rob's post daily, and just may end up getting a modded one from him(to save myself the time & trouble of buying one at WM, then ordering the parts & doing it myself).

I was originally looking at the 6012 mainly because of it's size(and also because the local WM has about 20 of them!), but actually after I -used- the 8810w, it's not too bad. This is probably because I have a panasonic vcr remote that is about the same exact size so I'm used to the larger design.

I looked at the 6131m also, but I don't have a PVR, and I *really* like backlit remotes(which I don't think the 6131m incorporates). However, I like the location of the transport controls a lot more on the 6131m than on the 8810 and 6012. Thanks for the reply Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the backlight is a big part of your decision, I would suggest avoiding all of the OFA remotes and get yourself a 15-2116 or 15-2117 from Radio Shack. The current batch of OFA remotes just use little LEDs for the backlight (and alot of people don't like the current red color), whereas the RS remotes use an EL backlight which is very bright.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

How big is the 8011m? Is it more like the 6012m, or the 8810w?
I've never seen one in person, only in pictures.

Thanks,
-Steve
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same (exactly) size and shape (and contents) as 6012. It is a 6012 with two extra device buttons squeezed in.
gbalight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If the backlight is a big part of your decision, I would suggest avoiding all of the OFA remotes and get yourself a 15-2116 or 15-2117 from Radio Shack. The current batch of OFA remotes just use little LEDs for the backlight (and alot of people don't like the current red color), whereas the RS remotes use an EL backlight which is very bright.

Interesting. So the RS models use EL sheets? The kameleons definitely looked to be lit by an EL sheet, but I never would have suspected the RS models to be.

I'm actually very satisfied with the 8810w's backlighting. Of course, it's the old green version so I'm not sure how the red would be. I'm curious: what type of LEDs are used in the OFA's? (SMD, 3mm, 5mm, flat?) I'm guessing it would be the SMD package... Wouldn't probably be too big of a deal to replace them either way if someone was that hardcore about it Smile

-paul
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbalight wrote:
I'm curious: what type of LEDs are used in the OFA's? (SMD, 3mm, 5mm, flat?)

Itty bitty SMD's... see here.
gbalight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
gbalight wrote:
I'm curious: what type of LEDs are used in the OFA's? (SMD, 3mm, 5mm, flat?)

Itty bitty SMD's... see here.

Thanks Mark. That's what I figured. That's an interesting thread... the idea of different colored LEDs for different key groups. Good thing the new digikey catalog came last week, time to see what all colors are available Smile

-paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: