JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What can an 'Comcast' (w/JP1 pins) do for me.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
burchis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: What can an 'Comcast' (w/JP1 pins) do for me. Reply with quote

I was digging around my arsenal of old remotes and came across an Insight Remote that has the 6 pin connector in the battery compartment. It has AUX, TV, Cable, Power, & Setup buttons across the top. Is this remote usable with my Dish Satellite, Sony TV, Sony DVD player, and JVC Receiver?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These silver 3 device remotes can be JP1.1 JP1.2 and JP1.3.
These
Insight Remotes. do look very much like the comcast.

You should be able to use it with 3 devices, and perhaps even use a phantom device if its the remote shown with the RED [OK/SELECT] button. The JP1.3 remotes have the Red ok/Select button. Unclemiltie is planning on doing an extender for the JP1.3 version.
burchis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
These silver 3 device remotes can be JP1.1 JP1.2 and JP1.3.
These
Insight Remotes. do look very much like the comcast.

You should be able to use it with 3 devices, and perhaps even use a phantom device if its the remote shown with the RED [OK/SELECT] button. The JP1.3 remotes have the Red ok/Select button. Unclemiltie is planning on doing an extender for the JP1.3 version.

I believe the remote I have is JP1. At least that's what is printed next to the 6 pin connector inside the battery compartment. Would that confirm without a doubt that it is JP1 or could it still be JP3?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe the remote I have is JP1. At least that's what is printed next to the 6 pin connector inside the battery compartment. Would that confirm without a doubt that it is JP1 or could it still be JP3?

No, more than 50% of my JP1.2 remotes say JP1 on the board. However if your remote is the silver comcast with the RED ok/select button, I'm very so sure that its JP1.3, that I'll send you a JP1.3 remote if I'm wrong.
burchis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:

No, more than 50% of my JP1.2 remotes say JP1 on the board. However if your remote is the silver comcast with the RED ok/select button, I'm very so sure that its JP1.3, that I'll send you a JP1.3 remote if I'm wrong.

Okay, I will accept your answer if for no other reason, you have over 800 post and I have, well four now, lol.

Now I guess I'm in the market for a JP1.3 cable or maybe instructions on how to make my own.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Okay, I will accept your answer if for no other reason, you have over 800 post and I have, well four now, lol.

All that proves is that I'm gabby. Laughing But I have been on a quest to stockpile these comcast remotes for next February when the OTA boxes become a necessity. I buy big batches of these remotes, and without fail, all of the remotes with the Red ok/select buttons have been JP1.3.
burchis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:

All that proves is that I'm gabby. Laughing But I have been on a quest to stockpile these comcast remotes for next February when the OTA boxes become a necessity. I buy big batches of these remotes, and without fail, all of the remotes with the Red ok/select buttons have been JP1.3.

Maybe I too should consider the 12 or so that I have as gold.

I am either going to buy or build a cable. Can I verify which JP model I have by opening the remote up and looking on the circuit board?

Last edited by burchis on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine from Tommy Tyler. See this link http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9405

He has supported the JP1 community with many great designs. and he does great work. You might be able to save a few dollars but you wouldn't end up with such a great cable. I would recommend you spring for the small connector, since it will work on all JP1.2 and JP1.3 remotes. The standard connector is too large for some that you might want in the future (or have now). Don't ask how I know.
burchis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should ask this before I buy anything:

Ultimately I want to use my unused Comcast JP1.3 remote to teach my HTPC universal remote various commands.

Having said that, can all JP1.3 remotes accept discrete codes whereby I can program what functions I need and then use this JP1.3 remote to teach (via by learning) to my HTPC?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, if you have a partially working setup in the remote, chances are you don't need any cable at all to send your signal.

Where did you find the discretes?
burchis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
You know, if you have a partially working setup in the remote, chances are you don't need any cable at all to send your signal.

Where did you find the discretes?

Are you referring to those 994 (I thank that's the number) 'long button press' commands. I'm very new in this arena and I remember something about this.

I don't have any discrete codes yet. I was hoping to get the codes from the forum.

What I need is the ability to send discrete codes to my sony TV that will switch to a particular video input. With the factory TV remote all I can do is cycle through one of the available inputs. This makes it impossible to create a working macro. Also I would need discrete codes to turn on the TV and a separate code to turn off the TV. Same with all of my audio/video components.

This is my reason for wanting to program my Comcast/Insight remote, which is a JP1.3 (??) to those specific functions.. That way I can teach my current universal remote these discrete commands.

Maybe this is the back door approach to accomplish what I want. If so, I would hope that a reader would offer a better approach.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you referring to those 994 (I thank that's the number) 'long button press' commands. I'm very new in this arena and I remember something about this.

Kind of. Before you do a 994, you test by doing a short press setup followed by the EFC. This only works IF you have a partial working setup built into the remote. If you don't have a partial setup, then the only way to do this is with a cable.

Have you tried using KM or RM to look at the upgrades for your equipment? You'll have to do this with or without the cable. Since you are using it just to teach another remote, you can do this easily with a set,x,x,x,x,x command.
burchis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am totally lost. Definitely more research is needed on my part. I don't even know if I understand enough to know what questions to ask.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burchis wrote:
Quote:
What I need is the ability to send discrete codes to my sony TV that will switch to a particular video input. With the factory TV remote all I can do is cycle through one of the available inputs. This makes it impossible to create a working macro.
I have no idea about your specific TV, but many that do not have discrete inputs on the remote, also do not have any codes they respond to for discrete inputs. Sometimes you just need to experiment and find creative macros that work. For instance:

I have a TV with no discrete codes and the input selection menu always comes up with the current device highlighted. What I had to do was a macro that started with CH+, CH-, <Input>, and then the correct number of up or down arrows to select the correct input. The CH+, CH- always selected the antenna input, so the Input Device menu always started in a known state. If you are lucky, this won't be necessary. If you are unlucky, the trick may not work for you. Good luck.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ch+/- is a great trick, but luckily sony usually has discrete input codes.

What Vicky is saying is that you don't need a cable to do this. You can download a sony file from the file section on this site for your tv, open it in Remote Master or Keymap Master, also from the file section, and look at the discrete codes in the EFC column. Press the set button on your remote, followed by the code and see if it works. For example, if you find that video 7 is code 12345, press the set button, then 12345 and that will send the discrete command to your tv. If it works, do it again to teach your other remote. The caveat is that you have to have the right sony device code to start, perhaps 0000 or 1100. If you post your sony model, someone can probably tell you which one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: