JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RemoteChart V24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tranx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Many of those details aren't as important as they were in the early days of JP1 when the chart was first conceived. I think the average person using the chart today needs to know the make/model and interface type, and signature for a kind of unique identifier. If it makes it onto the chart, we can probably say it's RM supported. Newer remotes will not be KM supported. Any remote that's not JP1 or JP1.3 probably won't be IR supported.

Extender, Phantom devices, EFC digits can all be pulled from the RDF.

I think Device Style refers to whether setup codes are manually entered using a device index (0 for cable, 1 for TV, 2 for video and 3 for audio typically) or rather using a device button (CBL, TV, etc.).

So please, if you're willing, go ahead and give it your best shot, and we'll review and try to fill in the blanks.

Back when I did it, I would download all the development RDFs and get as much info as I could out of them, then search some posts here for missing details (interface type, still made, etc.). I think some info, even just a list of models with no other details, would be better than nothing.

Thanks for doing this.

Thanks. For my own purposes it would have been enough to have less info, and the point is well taken that just a list of models would still be worth something.

From what you have said the following would now seem to be the essentials.

Model (e.g.'15-100)
Brand (e.g.'Radio Shack')
Name (e.g.'8-in-1 Remote')

Versions (e.g. R00/R01)
Devices
Similar Model

Cable (e.g. 'JP1/3'/'OE')
Learning (y/n)
Backlight

Signature
Region
Year

edited: Newer remotes such as Xsight and URC6440 which use 'EZ-RC' http://www.ez-rc.com/Pages/LogOn/NewUserRegistration.aspx and www.simpleset.com are supplied with a USB cable, with which RMIR can now communicate. In future this might become the norm so perhaps the 'Cable' heading can be left out.

It would seem consistent with the JP1 project for the existing very large Remote Chart to be preserved, and I see that it is being viewed quite regularly. To better accommodate only new additions, perhaps I should think about adding a link to a continuation page ('dumbed down' to suit me at least Smile ). That would be easier to do, and to read.

Any more comments would be appreciated.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx,
I agree that a continuation page would be a good idea. I would include on it any remotes which are still available, even it means repeating info that is in the existing chart. I'm thinking specifically of Atlas and Comcast remotes, as well as the RCRP05B. I think the info should include the processor type because we currently have no tools to support writing protocol executors for MAXQ processors. So it isn't difficult to write an executor for, say, a Xsight Touch, but it is difficult to write one for a Xsight Plus. Additionally, we currently only support FTDI chipsets with MAXQ processors- Prolific chips don't work. One can find the processor type in the RDF file, but it needs a fair amount of JP1 knowledge to think of finding it there.

Regarding the category "Cable", we need to distinguish among the 3 physical means of connecting to the remotes (6 pin header (the majority of remotes), 5 external holes (e.g. URC-8820 MOTO), or micro USB (Xsight class and SimpleSet). I doubt very much that UEI will in the future only offer USB connectors--they are more expensive than the 6 pin header.

I don't think a date field is very meaningful, unless we know when the internal database was compiled. In general, we don't know that. Should we include whether an extender is available?
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG,
Thanks for the reply and for giving good reasons. I will include current remotes such as Atlas, Comcast, RCRP05B, and wait a few weeks for comments. These are now the proposed headings:-

"Current at 2014"

Model (e.g.'15-100)
Brand (e.g.'Radio Shack')
Name (e.g.'8-in-1 Remote')
Similar Model/s

Cable (e.g. '6pins/5holes/MicroUSB')
Learning (y/n)
Devices
Backlight
Extender

Processor
Versions (e.g. R00/R01)
Signature/s
Region
CyberSimian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:

The Xsight Touch and Colour have mini-USB sockets (yes, different from the Plus and Lite, which have micro-USB sockets).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberSimian wrote:
tranx wrote:

The Xsight Touch and Colour have mini-USB sockets (yes, different from the Plus and Lite, which have micro-USB sockets).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Points taken.

** Those are just the sort of things I will need to be told **

- particularly when there is a mistake or a remote is entered leaving a space, or two.

Thanks
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this maintained in a spreadsheet and then dumped as a delimited file to just replace the whole page as needed? As you pointed out finding a line to change a column is tough. It would seem that maintaindnitnas a spreadsheet is much easier than as a wiki page.

The main thing I look for is does the remote need mod . I will not buy anything that requires me to solder ever again! I did learn the skill but it was not fun. JP1ing should be fun.
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Is this maintained in a spreadsheet and then dumped as a delimited file to just replace the whole page as needed?
Thank you for raising that, which might be a hurdle at the next stage. In fact I don't know about spreadsheets or delimited files but imagined that I could somehow open a new page in the wiki and insert a new link to that. I had planned then to extract bits of re-useable text and layout from the existing page, perhaps edit all that in notepad, and copy the result to the new much smaller page to try it out there. I have copied and pasted to put 6440 & OARUSB04 into the existing page, which seemed to work ok, but haven't yet tried to remove or adjust spacing of the columns and other paragraphs (which would be infrequent after the first iteration). Is that likely to be more problematic?
Quote:
As you pointed out finding a line to change a column is tough. It would seem that (typo, perhaps: 'maintaining it as a spreadsheet') is much easier than as a wiki page.

Yes it was hard to to find the right bits on the huge existing page but I have neither MS Word nor MS Office, which in any case I don't know how to use. Although I do have another spreadsheet program somewhere I do not know how to use that either!
Quote:
The main thing I look for is does the remote need mod. I will not buy anything that requires me to solder ever again! I did learn the skill but it was not fun. JP1ing should be fun.
With you on that for such fiddly and sensitive components, but guess that for some it is the physical modding, as well as software engineering that you do, which makes it interesting. For me it is only the application of JP1 at the user level, but perhaps even a cut down list could serve all three purposes to some extent?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tranx"]
vickyg2003 wrote:
Is this maintained in a spreadsheet and then dumped as a delimited file to just replace the whole page as needed?
Thank you for raising that, which might be a hurdle at the next stage. In fact I don't know about spreadsheets or delimited files but imagined that I could somehow open a new page in the wiki and insert a new link to that. I had planned then to extract bits of re-useable text and layout from the existing page, perhaps edit all that in notepad, and copy the result to the new much smaller page to try it out there. I have copied and pasted to put 6440 & OARUSB04 into the existing page, which seemed to work ok, but haven't yet tried to remove or adjust spacing of the columns and other paragraphs (which would be infrequent after the first iteration). Is that likely to be more problematic?
Quote:
As you pointed out finding a line to change a column is tough. It would seem that (typo, perhaps: 'maintaining it as a spreadsheet') is much easier than as a wiki page.

Yes it was hard to to find the right bits on the huge existing page but I have neither MS Word nor MS Office, which in any case I don't know how to use. Although I do have another spreadsheet program somewhere I do not know how to use that either!
Quote:

May i point out that openoffice has an excrllent powerful spreadsheet program available from openoffice.org. You can use it for free or make a donation.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
tranx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, I have looked at Open Office but uninstalled it, except for Abiword which I only use occasionally. However I have the free standalone Kingsoft Spreadsheet editor, which at first sight does not look like rocket science.

I see I could 'save' a spreadsheet, and see in the wiki editor 'upload file', which allows graphic files only - is the best thing to take a screenshot of the current state of the 'Current JP1 remotes' spreadsheet and upload that to the wiki? or do you have something else in mind?

Last edited by tranx on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abiword and kingsoft, are you using linux or android? Openoffice is really more mainstream, if you get it from their site, not someone trying to rebundle it with spyware. Its actually more like Ms office than the ms ribbon version of office. The only thing i use real ms office for is JP1 macroed spreadsheets.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would never have managed without using the spreadsheet and RDFs found so far!
Where is the signature on the RDF?

Last edited by tranx on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranx wrote:

Where is the signature on the RDF?

First 8 characters of the filename

3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good start, tranx!
The signature is hiding in plain sight. It is the first characters in the RDF file name, up to the first space. The Xsight class remotes start with USB; most others with start with a 3 or a 2. Those starting with 3 having 8 digits are JP1.3. JP1.4 start with a 3 and have 6 digits. JP2 and JP3 start with 2 and have 6 digits.

The RDF files for remotes with a MAXQ processor also list S3C80 as a processor, but this is a workaround to maintain backward compatibility of the RDF files. They actually only have the one MAXQ processor.

We refer to several remotes as Xsight class, but the one with model numbers starting with ARR are branded Acoustic Research, whil the Touch, Color, Lite and Plus are branded OneForAll. The Plus and ARRX12G have micro connectors and I believe the Color has a mini.
tranx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, can probably get on a lot better now. Will post in the wiki next, once I have done what I can with those and a couple more, including copying Atlas Comcast, and RCRP05B.
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=RemoteChart

Unfortunately it turned out there is low limit to the size of a graphic file which can be loaded into the wiki, but please post here or pm with additions, corrections, or further suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: