JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Variable length pause in macros (URC-7800)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Hives

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Variable length pause in macros (URC-7800) Reply with quote

Switching video inputs on my TV is very slow. I am attempting to place a pause in a macro between those commands.

I am using the Pause.txt file from the group files to do this, however I can't seem to make pause.

The file says it works with S3C8 based remotes. Does the 7800 support this.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 7800 is a S3C8 based remote.

Upload your IR.txt file to diagnostics and lets take a look at it.
Paul Hives

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx..see 7800w-pause.txt
Paul Hives

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump..help
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or better yet, try this...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/7800w-pause.txt
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything wrong with the way you set up the pause protocol. However, in your shift-9 macro, I notice that you have the '2' button right after the TV's 'power' button and before the first pause. My guess is the TV takes some time to warm up, which is why you need the pause in the first place, so the pause should really occur before the '2' button.

Also, just FYI, there is another option for adding delay to macros, as detailed in item 1.17 of the old FAQ. If you assign an EFC from the VCR/0039 setup code to the RECORD button in any device mode where the RECORD button is not being used, you can then use this button to add 3 or 4 seconds delay in macros.
e34m5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few questions:

What are the differences in the file you reference. It looks identical to mine.

The "2" is simply to put the TV in a known state. I actually was trying this with the TV already on.

I tried the trick with the VCR code, but the darn TV is so slow that I ran out of steps in the macro.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with the way you set up the pause protocol. However, in your shift-9 macro, I notice that you have the '2' button right after the TV's 'power' button and before the first pause. My guess is the TV takes some time to warm up, which is why you need the pause in the first place, so the pause should really occur before the '2' button.
Pretty much what I replied to your PM about this.
e34m5 wrote:
What are the differences in the file you reference. It looks identical to mine.
He is referencing your file. Rob was simply trying to point out that you often get a better response to a post here if you provide a link to any files you want someone to look at.
e34m5 wrote:
The "2" is simply to put the TV in a known state. I actually was trying this with the TV already on.
It's possible that you need a longer delay after the 2. I've seen some TVs that use the same processor for the IR remote and tuning PLL functions, meaning that the processor may be too busy performing AFT on the newly selected channel to respond to more IR commands for several seconds. Another thought, you might try channel up or down instead of 2. Does your TV immediately change to channel 2 when you only press one digit? Probably not. Most TVs would need 0,2; some might need 2,Enter.

I don't know if it's relevant to your circumstances, but have you looked at this thread?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e34m5 wrote:

If you were trying this with the TV already on, wouldn't the "power" button turn it off?

If you were trying this with the TV already off, I think you would need a delay between the "power" and "2" buttons.
e34m5 wrote:
I tried the trick with the VCR code, but the darn TV is so slow that I ran out of steps in the macro.

The delay caused by the VCR/0039 "record" button is about 3 or 4 seconds, whereas the delay you are using is only about 1 or 2 seconds, so I don't see how what you said makes sense.
e34m5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had added another macro after I posted this file to try just the pause and A/V commands. Yes I have been reading the other thread as well.

From reading the file for the pause code it was suppose to give about a 15 second pause vs the VCR/0039 1-3 second pause.

I found that I had to repeat the VCR/0039 "record" button at least 5 times before executing the next A/V command. Since the input I need on the TV is the fourth and fifth then you see why I run of out steps in the macro. The problem isn't so much having the TV go to a channel (that is relatively fast) the slowness comes in the rection time in executing the TV/VIDEO command. I hate these stupid TOAD things.

This is why I was hoping I could place a command that would result in a 15 second delay.

I used a stop watch to monitor the execution time. The macro executes as fast as it does with out the pause. This lead me to believe that I did something wrong in setting up the pause. I was hoping somene might detect an error in how I set up the pause devide, protocol or keymove.

I guess I am not a very good explainer. My apologies. I'm sorry to ask so many questions.

PS I was having difficulty making the link work from my post.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e34m5 wrote:
From reading the file for the pause code it was suppose to give about a 15 second pause vs the VCR/0039 1-3 second pause.

You're right, you should have got a 15 second pause. I can't test it now, but I couldn't see anything wrong with the way you coded it.

However, even if you were to get it to work, I would think that a 15 second delay in a macro would be somewhat impractical. If you have to stand there holding a remote for about a minute while the macro runs, you might as well just press the buttons manually.
e34m5 wrote:
PS I was having difficulty making the link work from my post.

Then read this sticky thread from the JP1 - General forum:
Posting links to Yahoo files

Btw, it's kinda confusing when you keep changing user ids, could you please pick one or the other and stick with it.
e34m5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok..figured out what I did wrong with the link...get your message as well.

The macro for A/V selection is more for the rest of the family rather than me.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e34m5 wrote:
The macro for A/V selection is more for the rest of the family rather than me.

Good luck in getting them to remember to keep the remote pointed at the gear for a minute or so.
e34m5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping it won't need 15 seconds...but I have to get the code to work first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: