JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OT - HD Converter Boxes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I posted that info was because, last time I tried calling Comcast on this, they said that they were going to discontinue all analog channels, thus requiring everyone to upgrade to a digital package. So, while cable is not affected by the broadcast channels switching over to an all digital format, it sounded like Comcast was going to use the opportunity to also switch over to an all digital format, whereas it sounds like this is not the case (at least, for now).
jetskier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, understood. It's a good ploy for the cable companies to get people to pay more for a digital settop box rental and programming. Technically, they could turn off the analog at any time, but there are a lot of older folks who have basic cable and don't want to deal with the digital boxes. I picture my wife's g-ma. She's 85 and learning new tricks isn't something she wants to do at this stage of her life. She did finally jump to digital box, but it took some time for her to learn buttons other than channel/volume up/down and power.

Dish is doing this with the MPEG4 HD conversion (Friday 8-1). If you want to keep all your satellite based HD channels and you have a MPEG2 box, you have to upgrade. The good thing it is free. I'm sure they will start push the MPEG4 SD conversion in the next year or two to free up the need bandwidth on the existing birds. It's a big expense to upgrade millions of people. Eastern Arc is starting to roll out for the folks on the east coast.

I put the two d-a boxes in my RV. I just need to build a 12V-5V converter to hardwire into the trailer. The cigarette lighter adapters are too bulky.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my coupons today, does anybody have any reason that I should not buy the Dish DTVPal other than it costs more than the coupon allows? I'm mostly worried about tuner quality, but haven't read any comparrisons. I certainly like what I've read about the features.
jetskier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my DTVpals so far. The program guide is great and the data updates fairly quickly.

I heard you can get them from Sears now.

I never compared. I just like the Dish guide interface.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you pick up the digital versions of all the channels that you pick up analog?
jetskier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has analog pass through so you can still get the analog channels like you always have.

I think the answer to your question is yes, the digital version is the same or better than the analog. Better being, if it is an HD version of the program, you get the letterbox version. You can change the format by zooming, full screen, etc. This allows the sides of a 16:9 digital broadcast to be cropped to fit a regular 4:3 TV. You also get the subchannels. On our local fox station, they run old shows like TV Land on the sub 2 channel. The NBC station airs a mexican channel completely separate from the main channel. They also each have a 24/7 weather channel so you can get the forecast for your area anytime.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jetskier, I went ahead and ordered the boxes.

Quote:
the digital version is the same or better than the analog

This is what I'm hoping for. My fear is that because we get interference every Sunday and Wednesday that makes all of our signals fuzzy, that we won't be able to get any form of digital signal. I got the impression that with digital its either crisp or doesn't come in at all, no fuzzy.

I guess nobody else complains because nobody in our area does OTA. When we were doing our listing with our real estate agent, talking about what is and isn't attached to the house, I said we have the antenna in the attic, and she actually lost control and laughed out loud. Mad
jetskier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people think OTA is dead. I have a 10' boom in my attic. My house is 4 years old.

Digital signals will pixelate if they drop for a fraction of a second.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got my DTV Pal today. Overall I'm pleased.

My one complaint is that the analog pass through doesn't work very well. Of my 17 analog stations, only 7 pass through, and the ones I get the clearest without the dtvpal don't come in at all. Since all my favorite channels are broadcasting digitally already, this is not an issue for me. I have noticed that most of the non-English speaking channels are not broadcasting digitally and none of them pass through either. If I could speak the other languages I'd be angry.

With the DTV Pal I get 27 English speaking channels, and they all come in crystal clear. I don't get the shadow nor the annoying line that was a problem for me before. It will be interesting to see how this handles the Sunday interference that gives my analog viewing problems.

The guide is a very nice feature. Its worth the extra $20 that alone.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently we can add the Apex DT-250 to the list of CECBs that work with ReplayTV.

yankeebean wrote:
FYI, this works well for recording via RTV S-Video input. Just select DirecTV-local to match the OTA primary channels, then satellite
box Hughes with IR-Blaster code 0749.

I'm getting a nice picture, good reception, and I leave the box on all
the time since it is a well ventilated metal box. Available at Bestbuy and
more info in the CECB forum...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055381
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you have one of the DigitalStream boxes, could you verify if it responds to CBL/0749 and CBL/0899 please.

In case this question is still on the table ...
DigitalStream 9950 (with analog passthrough) responded to CBL/0899 (Zenith cable box I gather) but didn't budge on the Philips Sat 0749.

Did I do it right? I forgot how to do these things. I did setup on 8910 for CBL/0899 and it said Success.
Power, vol+,vol-,mute,ch+,ch- worked, Power again shut it off.
This box is hooked to a TV (OTA), so that's about all I can test, I think.

Edit:I just reread your post. I see you want to test your upgrades. Will do.
Edit2:Rob, your 1899 upgrade works well. So I decided to learn few more buttons and will post later. But something funny is going on. I'm having trouble dealing with 6131 unextended format, because the codes I see are totally different. And my device/subdevice are 18 and 52. I have to brush up on jp1. If needed, please isolate this out to another thread.
Edit3:My learning completely matches Zaphod's RM file. Analog/Digital toggle is NEC1, Dev18, Sub52, OBC=40,Hex=EB,EFC=085.

Last edited by ElizabethD on Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskier wrote:
Most people think OTA is dead. I have a 10' boom in my attic. My house is 4 years old.

Digital signals will pixelate if they drop for a fraction of a second.

That's what I'm thinking as well. All or none proposition. When it works, the picture is fabulous but the occasional dropouts do occur. I'm on the fringe of OTA transmitters, still, it's disappointing to see they skimp on power or something like that.
jlv

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in July, mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
Here's an upgrade based on the OEM remote for the Channel Master CM7000.

This box also responds to CBL/0533, using the Pioneer 00E2 protocol (40 kHz). It appears to have the same subset of functions available for both CBL/0144 and CBL/0533. Here is what I've been able to determine so far:
Code:
OBC - function
...(codes for 0144 & 0533 deleted)
It is unfortunate that it does not appear to respond to the Enter function for CBL/0144 (OBC 012). I'm still looking for another code for Enter, but no luck thus far.

There does not appear to be a dot or dash key (or function), so channel entry is just done with digits. For example, 4, 04 and 041 all change to channel 04-1. Channel changes are pretty quick if you use the Enter key, but otherwise you need to wait a couple of seconds for it to timeout.

I have not tried it on the Replay yet, but it looks like it should work. Hopefully the info over at the AVS forum about using a satellite guide with local channels will prove to be workable. I don't think the IR carrier frequency will be an issue using the IR blaster at close range.

The lack of an Enter key (for CBL/0144 & CBL/0533) will mean that channel changes will be slow. It would probably be a good idea to load the OEM upgrade into the Replay if you can so that an Enter funtion is present.

I found this thread while looking for the code for Enter on the CM-7000, so that the channel change time for my ReplayTV 5000 isn't so long.

I took the KM upgrade file you posted there and (using these instructions) created a Replay RID file from it. However, after installing it on my ReplayTV, it doesn't seem to work for any of the digits. Power on/off does work, but that's all. I certainly could have botched creating the RID file, but has anyone used these codes for the CM-7000?

After switching back to code CBL/0144, I had an idea that seems to work. If you feed the CM-7000 3 digits, then almost any other remote function will act as an Enter. E.g., 0-2-1-VolUp will immediately switch to channel 2-1, and then raise the volume. I already keep the CM-7000's volume all the way up, so this should act as a convenient replacement for the lack of the Enter code. I'm about to make a modified CBL/0144 RID file to test this out.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlv wrote:
I'm about to make a modified CBL/0144 RID file to test this out.
Be sure to let us know how this turns out.
jlv

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn... I was hoping you tell me I must have messed up creating the RID file from the CM-7000 OEM remote codes you posted. How did you generate them?

I did create a modified RID file for c0144, substituting 'volume up' for 'enter', and it works -- but with one problem.

I've got the fine tuning set to send 3 digits minimum along with send enter. If I'm on channel 441 (44-1) and hit channel-up, the CM-7000 tunes to 442 (44-2) without the pause, so the 'volume up' worked. (in fact, I don't even see the volume-bar from the CM-7000).

However, for channels that are only 2 digits, it isn't working at all. If I'm on 51 (5-1) and I hit channel up, it doesn't switch channels at all. From 51 (5-1), the Replay would be sending 71<enter> to get to 7-1. The CM-7000 displays the info box at the top saying it's still on 5-1, but it doesn't tune to 71 (7-1) at all. It's as if it didn't get any of the digits.

I'm wondering if this may be one of timing params in fine-tuning., but I've not had a chance to look. But, my c1000 is just c0144 with the 'volume-up' code for enter, so I'm surprised at this. I did retest that 071<vol-up> on the CM-7000 remote works, so I'm puzzled.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: