JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Multiple FAV lists on 8910 Extender?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpsherwo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Multiple FAV lists on 8910 Extender? Reply with quote

I've read the 8910 extender v1.1 ReadMe.txt and pondered this sections a few times:

"IR also allows you to create additional whole Fav lists; But the remote can't use them. The extender operates the Fav list differently than the unextended remote..."

So is there any way to use IR's 2nd, 3rd, 4th... Fav Lists in the 8910/9910 remote?

I would like to have at least 2 Fav lists.
One for my QAM In the Clear HDTV favorite channels, one for my standard favorite NTSC Cable channels.

For example:
FavListOne for channels: 8.1, 15.1, 33.3
8;Enter;1;Select;{Pause};1;5;Enter;1;Select;{Pause};3;3;Enter;3;Select;{Pause}

FavListTwo for channels: 5, 12, 36, 42, 56
5;Select;{Pause};1;2;Select;{Pause};3;6;Select;{Pause};4;2;Select;{Pause};5;6;Select;{Pause};

And finally, if a 2nd Fav list can't be done in the extender, is there another solution which would "imitate" a 2nd fav list?

Thanks,
Brad
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, welcome to JP1
Short answer: The current answer, unfortunately is NO, you cannot have multiple fav lists. I would love to use two lists, perhaps three Smile

Long answer, may need corrections from the Experts. As I see it, very dimly
1. IR permits multiple fav lists
2. IR has provision for assigning a fav list to a device (bottom left corner of UI)
3. IR does not make a distinction between several fav lists, or I don't see it
4. 8910 remote has only one slot ($30) for the fav device
5. Fav key is $2C (could we use high bits for a list number??)
6. Fav key entries in IR consists of $2C, "3" in high nibble of the next byte, number of mini-macros in this sequence in the low nibble, all that followed by the mini-macro key numbers and is terminated with a zero.
7. Remote watches where it is in the sequence (R_FavState)
8. Temporary device index is used in the extender for the Fav device from $30

So, given this list, I wonder if IR, as well as the code around L251 could be tweaked to permit more than one fav sequence by use of fake device index or fav sequence number or anything else someone might come up with.
bpsherwo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Multiple FAV Future Reply with quote

Thank you Liz. I'm glad to learn:

1. I'm not the only person who would like multiple FAV lists.
    2. It's not currently capable with existing tools (so I can stop looking).
    3. It may be possible to add the feature if some talented developer takes up the cause.

Thanks for taking the time to list your "gap analysis". Maybe it will inspire someone who has the time and talent to make the enhancement.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current favorites list trys to make something useful out of the existing favorites code in some of the older remotes. To add another favorites list, you'd need a new extender or a new protocol, and a dedicated registe r, and to make it user friendly you'd need changes in IR, but you could construct your keymoves by hand if necessary. This would probably be a much larger protocol than a toadtog, and I'd think if we were writing it from scratch you'd probably be able to make something a little more controlable.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE'S an imitation multi-FAV lists using ToadTogs. Each press of M1 goes to the next channel in list 1, M2 does the same for list 2. The best I could do is 2 lists of 4 channels each. Two sets of macros are required for each list. I put the channels on the Off->On macro of the XSHIFT keys. Modify these to specify the channels. The SHIFT key macros manage resetting the bits. So you shouldn't modify those.

It works like this. The macro M1 calls the first toadtog, sets bit zero and either enters the first channel if the bit was not set or calls the next toadtog if the bit was already set. The next toadtog sets the next bit and enters the next channel, and so on until the last toadtog is called. The last toadtog calls the first bit reset toadtog. That toadtog resets the next bit, and so on until the last reset toadtog. The last reset toadtog then calls the first set toadtog, and the cycle can then repeat. Each press of M1 always calls the first toadtog, but if the bits are already set for a channel in the list, the next toadtog is called. M2 works the same as M1, just on the second set of toadtogs.

In my example, I've made 2 lists of 4 channels each, but it could easily be modified to accomodate the OP's request to have 3 channels in the first list and 5 in the second, so long as the total isn't greater than 8.

Last edited by mdavej on Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
bpsherwo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: ToadTog FAV List Reply with quote

mdavej:
Thank you for your post and example. Using your Ideas, I have successfully created a a 2nd Fav List of 6 channels using ToadTog 2 through 7.
Thank You!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: