JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DVD Recorders - Naming titles and disks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidiko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: DVD Recorders - Naming titles and disks Reply with quote

I am brand new.
Anyone used JP1 to expedite supplying all of the numersous key presses required to name titles, name the disk and begin finalization of a DVD?
floyd1977

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how you could expedite naming the disk and titles unless you use a keyboard. At this point, I can remember what letters are on each numerical key (2 = ABC, 3 = DEF, etc.), so typing in names isn't too bad.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another thread you wrote this;

Quote:
I am a beginner. But I have learned a lot following this JP1 Remotes "thread," if that is what it is called? (I said beginner, no forum experience whatsoever).

I have the RDR-GX330 with RMT 223A. The operator's manual does state that the 3 'code sets' are to resolve issues between different Sony components. (But similar perhaps).

I would like to know if JP1 is capable to expedite (maybe via macros?) the time-consuming and boring task of using the Sony remote, pressing the arrow keys and select keys, to name "titles" and "disks?"

Being a beginner, I think about the "user interface" I am stuck with right now. A "table," 3 teirs deep, the remote, arrow and select keys.

I hope JP1 is a way to make this easier, I dump tons of stuff from TIVO to my Sony DVD Recorder. Takes lots of time, attention and finger and thumb cramps.

I'm a big user of the GX330 too. As far as I can see, there isn't much you can do with the actual spelling of the name when naming the track title, and disk title. However JP1 can be very helpful in other ways. First off my official remote was the RMT-d229A, which has no Record-Pause, which is a really dumb move by Sony if you ask me! The unit supports a record-pause, there just isn't a button for in on my oem remote. Your JP1 remote can send that Pause Signal. Also dealing with only 1 remote vs multiple remotes is a real plus and the Jp1 remotes are great for consolodating your remotes.

Most of the remotes that we use have Macro capabilities. These can help you automate repetitive key strokes that you use for digging through complex menus. The drawback of a macro, is that its global, and there are a limited number of keys. Here in JP1 land, they have developed special protocols called DSM(Device Specific Macros). I use a DSM from the Title List menu, to navigate to the keyboard menu and erase the current title, but that's as far as I can go in automating this process. I still have to use Sony's interface to create the new title.

Another DSM I have for this Sony is the Record-Mode button. Instead of just flipping through HQ, SP, LSP.... (whatever they are), when I press this button it digs through the menu and pops a pick-list up on the screen with that shows each choice and how much record time is associated with the choice.

There are a lot of keys associated with the original gx330 remote, so you'll want to select a jp1 or jp1x remote with lots of keys. I have used the URC-8810, URC-6131, Comcast 1067a, and Atlas 5 day Jp1.2 remotes with the gx330 and I must say they all do a great job. However, everyone in our family has a different favorite. Its kind of a personal choice.

Hope this helps.
sidiko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you find out the recorder had record-pause capability?

I'll admit, JP1 sounds interesting. I had really hoped to solve the text issue first, but it may not be possible.

I have had a couple suggestions from non-JP1 sources.
(1) "Simple-Remote." @ http://www.geocities.com/odednoam/
This is basically an infrared LED driven by a PC and obviously some nifty software. The site and concept appears abandoned.
(2) John Wasser suggested a "WebTV" keyboard, or a computer controlled infrared remote control from "smarthome.com."

Does anyone have any experience with any of the above?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How did you find out the recorder had record-pause capability?

Its been my experience that most of my equipment has had hidden features that could be accessed via JP1 even though the features were not on my oem remote. So I was expecting there to be pause record, especially since when you do a timer recording you see the little record dot and the pause symol in the info bar, a minute before the start time.

I think your typing problem is going to be very difficult to conquer. Have you noticed that delay between when you hit 2 the first time, how its not ready to recieve the next 2 to move to B? I think that would be very difficult to handle, but I don't have any experience with keyboards.

Do you use numbers, or arrows to enter your title names?
sidiko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you for your help, and your prompt replies.

This is the first time I have ever been productive using any type of forum, and I have tried about a dozen. This JP1 community is very impressive in spreading this information.

I have been using the arrow keys to enter the letters. I tried the numbers just a little.

You are right, it will be hard, maybe not possible.

I am sending lots of dvds to a buddy who is deployed in the military and it is taking lots of time. I am trying to save minutes when I can.

So, let me see if I understand, you suspected the GX330 was record-pause capable, but how did you come up with the Infrared Code to make it work? I guess it might make sense to me if I new how the JP1 program, spreadsheet, and other items all "fit together."
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am sending lots of dvds to a buddy who is deployed in the military and it is taking lots of time.

I think its great that you are helping a buddy overseas.

Quote:
I have been using the arrow keys to enter the letters. I tried the numbers just a little.

Switching to the numbers took me a little time, actually it was frustrating because I kept wanting to switch back to arrows, and if you combine the two you get unwanted letters that you need to backspace. But once I got used to the number method it was significantly faster. Now I use a combination and its no longer the time consuming chore. I think learning how to do both, is a lot easier than trying to automate it.

Quote:
So, let me see if I understand, you suspected the GX330 was record-pause capable, but how did you come up with the Infrared Code to make it work? I guess it might make sense to me if I new how the JP1 program, spreadsheet, and other items all "fit together."

This forum has lots and lots of upgrades. Major manufacturer's like Sony, don't make a lot of changes in their codes from model to model. So I looked at the Sony G7 upgrade which had a Pause-Record listed. I tried it. It worked. Which is good, because Sony doesn't respond well to the "brute force" method that I normally use. Once I have information on some of the keys, I usually just try all 256 code possibilities, but with Sony there are thousands of code possibilities because they use a more sophisticated structure to their signals.
sidiko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finding out when you reply via my email application.

So, are our messages private or do they appear in the forum for all to see? How does this work?

OK, I am back at the http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml site trying to figure out what I need to do to get started. I want to do this! This would be a good place to read about the various components that make up the system, the executable file, spreadsheet, RMT-D22A code files, etc. Right?

Would you like to recommend a JP1 remote to me?

Are you using a serial or USB cable (PC to RC connection)?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These messages are all on the public forum, I didn't even know you could get email notification.

To get started look at the stickys at the top of this forum. There is an article that says Beginners Please Read This First

I'd start there.

As far as remote, to use with the GX330, you'll need a remote with lots of keys.

I'd recommend any of these remotes.
Atlas 5 Day Jp1.2
Comcast URC-1067a
URC-6131 modified
URC-8811
URC-8900
URC-9900
Atlas 5 Day JP1.3

Take a look at the pictures.
It all depends on if you want learning,
Backlighting
Large number of PVR keys (which you do want with a that gx330)
Extenders
Large number of devices.

Good luck
sidiko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were any of those you recommended a Radio Shack remote?

I would like to get into JP1 but I would LOVE to be able to PAUSE RECORDING as soon as possible. Any easy way to get that going before jumping into JP1?

I am trying to get as many movies together to send to Bagram, Afghanistan by Friday PM. (Postage is High). That is eating up my time right now.

I got an email from a friend stationed there recently. They are sharing everything we send them.

Thanks.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No none of them were radioshack remotes. I haven't tried any of the new radioshack remotese yet.

Since my first remotes didn't have built in support for the gx330, I've always used an upgrade. I'm not sure how good the built in support for this recorder is. I'll try to find time to test the UEI built in code and see how much you can do without a cable.

I've also always used an extender with this remote so I could stack the functions 3 deep.

Some of the remotes I was recommending were remotes that come with cable. The Atlas and the Comcast are cable box remotes. Are you a cable subscriber? If so, is your cable remote a JP1 remote?
sidiko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I am a Direct TV Fan, about 8 years now.

I see now I need to do some reading to pick up the lingo. I have figured out what an "upgrade" is, I think. I am not sure about the term "extender" yet.

I was just thinking I would go ahead and buy a JP1 capable remote, try my luck on some built in stuff, with plans to learn JP1 in a few weeks.

In fairness to you, I need to read some of the beginner stuff. But thanks for your info, I want to make an informed purchase never-the-less.

I have a Radio Shack Dealer 5 minutes away. She will have the RS stuff and maybe the One For All lineup too.

I have owned "intelligent" RC's before, if there is such a thing. I could learn other RC's commands, built "macros" that would start up a whole system or shut it down. I guess that is still what I need to look for.

Plus, I have the Robman articles to read as well. (RC info).

By the way, how did you do that "Quote" thingy? On the forum Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:18 pm? That was pretty slick.

I will check back in the forum in a couple hours. Thanks.
kupakai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidiko wrote:
No, I am a Direct TV Fan, about 8 years now.

Actually, the DirecTV remote is made by UEI (the company that makes the JP1 remotes), but with the recent ones (the straight white ones with the slider switch at the top), I don't think you can do anything with JP1 with it. It doesn't have the 6 pin header and even if you added one, there's nothing really programmable in it. The old black ones seems to be JP1-able though, since there is an RDF for it.

sidiko wrote:
I see now I need to do some reading to pick up the lingo. I have figured out what an "upgrade" is, I think. I am not sure about the term "extender" yet.

"Upgrades" are the files uploaded to the remotes to add new protocols, keymoves, macros, and button programming in to the remote. Extenders are uploaded to the remote to essentially reprogram the remote to add new functions.

sidiko wrote:
I was just thinking I would go ahead and buy a JP1 capable remote, try my luck on some built in stuff, with plans to learn JP1 in a few weeks.

Make sure to read the "Choosing the Right JP1 Cable" part of the beginner's thread and the links in it to get the right cable for the remote you get.

sidiko wrote:
I have a Radio Shack Dealer 5 minutes away. She will have the RS stuff and maybe the One For All lineup too.

There are 3 Radio Shack remotes that are "JP1-able". I think the 15-100 is a nice one, but it does not have easily accessible header and needs hardware hack to add one. See this thread on that discussion. There are two newer remotes that do have JP1 header, the 15-135 and 15-133. The 15-133 just came out and it seems like mdavej worked on the RDF for it, but the RDF for 15-135 is more complete at the moment. See this thread. These are all JP1.3 remotes. Radio Shack used to carry some Kameleon line, but I haven't seen them in RS around me recently, and some of those Kameleons are difficult to get the JP1 header in the remote.

Even without the JP1.2 cable, you should be able to add the "rec pause" function you want immediately by using advanced codes. I think they all three of the RS remotes have a setup code built in that you can use to program in a button for the rec pause function, depending on what AV mode you have the Sony setup to. Of course, once you get the cable, you would be able to do so much more.

sidiko wrote:
By the way, how did you do that "Quote" thingy? On the forum Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:18 pm? That was pretty slick.

To do the quote thingy, before replying, click on the "quote" button on the upper left side of the post you want to quote and the reply text box will quote the whole post with the [quote=][/quote] tags around the post. You can edit the quote to just leave the parts you want quoted. I would preview the reply first to make sure the tags are correctly placed if you use it.
sidiko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million. I was about to drop by my local trusty Radio Shack!

What is the difference in say a JP1 -vs- JP1.3?

I will use your advice and look for the 15-135 1st, then the -133.

Thanks again.
sidiko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

I bought an "R7" Universal RC at Circuit City. I thought I recalled seeing it mentioned in the forum, but I have checked and I don't see it mentioned in the 2 threads I have been involved in since I joined.

I thought I better steer clear of the Radio Shack RC after reading what Robman had to say. Too much resource devoted to Tandy, RS, "proprietary" stuff I think.

Hey, if anyone knows this R7 is NOT JP1"able" please let me know, I'll return it. But it looks pretty "high speed," (Army term for real cool), includes CD, book and AAA's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: