JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

USB cable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reybie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: USB cable Reply with quote

Is anyone selling this cable style yet?
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of anyone selling them. When they are available I'm sure the cost will be considerably more than the parallel JP-1 cable due to the parts required and soldering time to get it all together on the perf board. I built one last week and highly recommend following Tommy Tyler's instructions for it manufacture. I put a capacitor in backwards and it wouldn't work. I read the instructions and they specifically said the capacitor was polorized and needed to go in a certain way. The parts list supplied is correct. The IC from delcom is $8.00 with $4.95 shipping but they hit you with a $5.00 charge for orders less than two or three. The stuff from Mouser is relatively inexpensive. I recommend getting the perf board from Mouser unless you have some laying around or have a Radio Shack close by. The fun part is putting it all together. It takes time but is not to difficult with basic soldering skills and a low power soldering iron.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just an idle thought, but since delcom already sells a complete board for $49.95 would it be possible to write instructions for how to add a JP1 interface to that? I haven't looked at the specifics of the board but it has a lot of holes -- could someone make a pogo pin type cable -- pogo pins on one end and a JP1 cable on the other?

I'm thinking that the reason no one has tried to sell the USB interface is that they think the cost would be prohibitve. But making a pogo-pin USB board to JP1 cable could probably be done cheaply.

Am I off base? Comments anyone?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USB is still relatively new, if you still tight, I would expect one of the JP1 vendors (ie, Hovis or Filebug) to offer the USB before long.
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The USB is still relatively new, if you still tight
You mean sit tight, right? Or are you telling me to sit still Smile? Or sit by the still Smile ? Sorry, but that typo seems to spawn lots of possibilities.
reybie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, anyways, I wish one of the hardware dealers get a few kits together so I can get 'em all in one place.
I was thinking of the convenience of front USB ports on my PC if someone had it available for sale Smile
I'll sit tight.
ddsmith60

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is exactly why I built my USB cable. That crawling under the desk thing sucks. Not to mention plugging and unplugging the printer all the time.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddsmith60 wrote:
That is exactly why I built my USB cable. That crawling under the desk thing sucks. Not to mention plugging and unplugging the printer all the time.

That's why you gotta love those USB printers! Smile
Filebug
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. USB cables and kits should be available towards the end of February. Check out http://jp1.filebug.com for details and ordering when they become available.
HovisDirect
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: USB IS AVALIABLE AT HOVISDIRECT.COM Reply with quote

I have USB cables avaliable at my website completed and shipped to the US for $45. I have several ready to ship and can provide help to get started. Check out my webpage for details. Kits coming soon. (mid next week)
HOVISDIRECT.COM

Richard
gavrett8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased one of the USB kits from Hovis Direct. Well see how it does when I get it.
Gary
gavrett8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the Hovis USB cable kit, built and tested it. Works beautifully.
I cut slots in each end of the box and installed rubber cable grommets.
I installed the grommets onto each cable before connecting them to the PCB. I then lowered the PCB, cables into the box sliding the grommets into each of the two slots cut in the ends of the box at the top of the box. This was necessary, for me at least due to the fact when I drilled holes and installed the grommets then pushed the cable through them, connected to pcb the wires kept breaking as it tried to pull the slack out of the cables upon lowering the PCB into the box. When I put the top on it pushed the rubber grommets down slightly and looked as if they were professionally done. I tied the cables with small tye wraps on the inside to keep the cable from pulling out.

I took the Delcom driver (INF file) and other files and put them into the
C:\Windows\driver cache folder in Windows XP. I then went to Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, System, Device manager and located the yellow question mark for the USB driver that windows tried to install the moment I plugged the USB cable with Remote to the computers USB port. I clicked on the Yellow ? and pointed to the location of the Delcom driver. It intalled it and now the USB instantly recognizes the USB cable when plugged in.
I have a drawing showing the grommet installation in Word Format if anyone would like it...email me and I will gladly send it to you.
Gary
gavrett@sbcglobal.net
classicsat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or A/B printer switches, which I have used until I got a Parallel port scanner (as I needed the cable that connected between the PC and the switch for the scanner). Before that, I used the A/B switch to switch between the printer and whatever dev plug I had (JP1, Atmel ISP, IR receiver)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: