JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

selecting input using device button - 6131

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reybie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:50 pm    Post subject: selecting input using device button - 6131 Reply with quote

I am a new user of a 6131, my first JP1 remote (thanks Rob!)

Is there a way of using the device buttons (tv, cable/sat, pvr etc.) to select the input of my TV?

I have browsed really quick on extenders but I have not a clue if this is possible. I have done upgrades and stuff and made my buttons work like I wanted it to, now I'd like to explore the above-mentioned.

Thank you.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the 6131 extender my 6131m (also from Rob) does exactly what you want.

For example, when I press DVD button, the following things happen:
DVD turns on
TV turns on
ReplayTV turns off
Cable box turns off
AV selector switch routes the DVD signal to the TV
Remote is set into a mode where most of the keys are set to control the DVD (but with volume keys still controlling the TV's volume. extenders are pretty damn cool.)

Pressing the PVR button, the CBL button, etc does similar thing for the corresponding devices (ReplayTV, cable box, etc.)

Download the extender, and also print out the design plans. Yes, it is true, I am not a genius, I did not invent this design, Greg did, he is the genius. But I (and everyone else) can follow a good recipe for setting up an extender. yum. Mr. Green

Live Long and Prosper,
JP1Files
reybie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will definitely try that. I did look at the readme file of the 6131 extender and at my first glance it looked greek to me. I'll probably have to sit and look at some examples...

Thanks for the input!
e34m5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it much easier to simply do a macro with the shift key. So that Shift+DVD sets up everything to view DVD. I do the same thing for other devices.

I have set up several remotes for friends and family and this seems intuitive to most non technical people.

Using JP1 to do these type of macros is sooo easy.
reybie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the mini tutorial 1.2 file in the yahoo files area and the author mentioned that upgrades were done to the remote first before actually doing the advanced extender stuff.

Should I do the upgrades to all my devices first before trying extenders? I did use the plain 6131 RDF when I started by the way, should I start using the 6131 extender RDF now?

Sooo many questions... Smile
e34m5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not be a nag..but try this first

SHIFT-DVD TV;power;RCVR;power;L1;DVD;power
SHIFT-SAT TV;power;SAT;power;RCVR;power;L2
reybie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm confused and not stating my question correctly.
What I'm trying to do is to get my RCA TV to select the input based on the device button on the top of my remote.

For example, pressing DVD button will switch the TVs video input to DVD. I'm not even concerned about the audio power and dvd power for now. I have one of those RCA TVs that have multiple video inputs and the RCA remote can switch them when the corresponding device button is pressed. I had asked about this in one thread and someone confirmed that the codes being sent by the RCA remote is discrete power on commands for the devices, ie DVD, VCR. How is the command sent is what puzzles me, discrete power then input select?
I'm rambling.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reybie wrote:
...I had asked about this in one thread and someone confirmed that the codes being sent by the RCA remote is discrete power on commands for the devices, ie DVD, VCR. How is the command sent is what puzzles me, discrete power then input select?
Only one command is sent by the remote. The TV responds to the command by changing it's input. The DVD (for example) responds to the command by turning itself on.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
Only one command is sent by the remote. The TV responds to the command by changing it's input. The DVD (for example) responds to the command by turning itself on.

You are talking about the discrete on command for an RCA DVD. If you have both an RCA TV and an RCA DVD that command will do both of the things you described.

If your TV is RCA and your DVD isn't, then the discrete on for an RCA DVD won't turn your DVD on and the discrete on for your DVD won't affect your TV. In that case you'd want a macro or DSM to send both the discrete on for an RCA DVD and the discrete on (assuming it exists) for the DVD you have.
reybie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I figure this out, I'm going to be the happiest dude in the world LOL. I was digging through the posts in yahoo but all I was getting was people asking the same questions and replies that are way over my head (for now anyway).

Quote:
If your TV is RCA and your DVD isn't, then the discrete on for an RCA DVD won't turn your DVD on and the discrete on for your DVD won't affect your TV. In that case you'd want a macro or DSM to send both the discrete on for an RCA DVD and the discrete on (assuming it exists) for the DVD you have.

I have a different brand DVD but when I press DVD on the RCA remote, the TV changes input to DVD. Do you think this is what the RCA TV is seeing (the two discrete ons)?

I'll post a link to the yahoo stuff later, maybe you can help me decipher it Smile
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reybie wrote:

I have a different brand DVD but when I press DVD on the RCA remote, the TV changes input to DVD. Do you think this is what the RCA TV is seeing (the two discrete ons)?

When you press DVD on the RCA remote, your DVD doesn't turn on does it?

You've made it clear that the DVD button on your RCA remote sends the discrete on command for an RCA DVD. We've tried to explain that the RCA TV will switch to its DVD input when it sees the discrete on command for an RCA DVD.

I don't know what else the DVD button on your RCA remote does (in addition to sending the RCA DVD discrete on command). You haven't told us.

With a JP1 remote there is probably a built-in setup code for an RCA DVD. If so you could use the standard EFC number for RCA discrete on (which I forget, but it's mentioned in several threads here and some other expert will probably remind us). You can use that EFC in a KeyMove to put that RCA DVD Discrete On command on some key (probably a shifted or phantom key) in the device mode of either your TV or your DVD (whichever is more convenient).

You would probably want to use the key of that KeyMove in some macro that switches to DVD mode.
reybie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your patience, I'll try this as soon as I get home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: