JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

15-2117 problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
warnockm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: 15-2117 problems Reply with quote

I have a RS 15-2117 w/ RF extender. I have all of my home theater devices programmed into it, but would like to download the settings to my PC and possible add some more buttons via the JP1 interface.

I picked up the parallel port cable from DIY gadgets, but i'm having some problems. I'm using IR.exe. First & loaded the settings for the 15-2117 and then tried to download the settings. I get an error saying the remote cannot be found. I also tried testing the interface and get the same error.

I've tried it on two different computers. One my PC, when i click download, every LCD on the remote light up and turn off after 3 seconds. on my laptop, the LCDs are lit up the entire time the cable is plugged in. I'm pretty sure i have the cable rotated corrected, but for kicks i turned it around, w/ no luck, except the LCDs do not light up. Not sure what else to try.
sfhub

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at the parallel port settings in IR?

For example have you configured the IO port for the parallel port to match yours?

The remote's LCDs are supposed to light up for about 3 seconds, just like you experience.
warnockm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfhub wrote:
Have you looked at the parallel port settings in IR?

For example have you configured the IO port for the parallel port to match yours?

The remote's LCDs are supposed to light up for about 3 seconds, just like you experience.

I have the Interface set to Parallel port. Other than that, i haven't seen any more settings for the port.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick parallel from the menu again and it will show the port address choices. You'll need to get the right values by looking in device manager or your Bios setup. If the port is on a card and not the motherboard, you may have to enter other. In that case it could be anything. For example mine is FFFFB000.
warnockm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, the address is correct. Do you have your port set to normal, bidirectional or ECP/EPP. i doubt that makes a difference since it runs at the speed of the remote.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used ECP in the past without problems, but I don't think it makes any difference. It's not an option with my current hardware. If the LCDs are always on, the cable is upside down. You may want to try removing the batteries as well. Otherwise, it could be a bad cable. If you can't exchange yours, I've got one for sale that I used with my 2117 for years. PM if interested.
warnockm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've tried all configurations of the parallel port on two different computers. i tried it w/ batteries, w/o batteries, w/ one battery reversed, new batteries. I tried it w/ the cable the correct way (arrow in the lower left position) and reversed. i checked the cable to ensure that pin 18 and 25 were connected (as was a problem w/ some cables). i even tried it w/ a 15-1994 because sometimes when i reset this one, i get a Bad E2 error, but when i do it again it works. No luck w/ the 15-1994 either. i've contacted diygadget.com about the cable.
warnockm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed that when the remote is not plugged in, or plugged in improperly, i get a "no response from the interface" error. When its plugged in properly, i get a "no response from the remote" error.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. If my cable is plugged into the computer and not connected to the remote I get the remote error, not the interface error. Sounds like more evidence pointing to a bad cable.
warnockm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Sounds like more evidence pointing to a bad cable.

you're right on. I built a quick cable on a bread board and it works fine. I accidentally had a wire loose, and the remote blinked and i got the interface error. Looks like that is what happens when a wire is loose. looks like a bad cable!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: