JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Modem Upgrade procedure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Modem Upgrade procedure Reply with quote

Selected UEIC-manufactured JP1/JP1.X remotes are also modem-upgradeable, via a built-in internal modem. These include models like the URC-9910, 9960 and others. The procedure for adding a modem upgrade is frequently not available in the manuals, but is only provided when you call customer support and they walk you through it. Here are the procedures for installing a wav upgrade:

For remotes with LCD screens, like the URC-8910...

1) Press and hold SET (or MAGIC, SETUP, etc), screen reads "CODE SET"
2) Scroll up until scren reads "UPGRADE",
3) Press SELECT, screen reads "DOWNLOAD"
4) Cue up the WAV file so it's ready to play on your PC
5) Hold remote up to the PC speaker and press SELECT
6) The red light will stay lit while the WAV file is playing. When the upgrade is complete, the LCD menu will exit.

For non-LCD remotes, like Kameleons...

1) Press and hold setup for 3 seconds
2) press other (Kameleons only)
3) press 997
4) The key pad flashes in a circle at top then screen goes blank (for Kameleons. I assume a similar display of some sort (2-flashes of LED?) appears for straight hard-button remotes) awaiting new wav file,
5) Hold remote up to the PC speaker and press SELECT (about where numbers are on keypad and put volume upto max).

Phone Numbers:
(330) 405-8620

Corrections/clarifications welcome.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not competent to offer corrections/clarifications because I've never actually downloaded a wavefile. I was just curious about whether the comment "about where numbers are on keypad" referred to how you should position the remote relative to the speaker. The actual magnetic pickup coils inside the remote are located about 1-1/2 to 2 inches from the upper end, so I would expect the best reception would be with the back of the remote against the speaker, about 2 inches from the upper end.

In case anyone is curious, the remote is not actually "listening" to the audio with a microphone. Rather, a coil of wire in the remote is picking up the stray magnetic field given off by the little coil in the speaker that shakes the cone to generate the sound. It uses the same principal as the old cassette recorder pickups that you used to stick to the back of a telephone handpiece (before the days of wireless and cell phones) with a suction cup. That's why it needs to be as close to the PC speaker as possible.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That comment came from a Kameleon owner. Perhaps the pickup coil is located elsewhere in different remotes. I'll think of a way to phrase that guidance more vaguely Wink to avoid accountability.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
hansdegit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a strange question...
Is it possible to:
load an upgrade for a URC-10820 (which is not modem-upgradeable) into a URC-7560?

That way, the 7560 functions as a sort of temporary storage for the upgrade.

Edit:
It works!
Big C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Do Pioneer DVD Player Users Finally Have Some Hope? Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
Selected UEIC-manufactured JP1/JP1.X remotes are also modem-upgradeable, via a built-in internal modem. These include models like the URC-9910, 9960 and others. The procedure for adding a modem upgrade is frequently not available in the manuals, but is only provided when you call customer support and they walk you through it. Here are the procedures for installing a wav upgrade:

For remotes with LCD screens, like the URC-8910...

1) Press and hold SET (or MAGIC, SETUP, etc), screen reads "CODE SET"
2) Scroll up until scren reads "UPGRADE",
3) Press SELECT, screen reads "DOWNLOAD"
4) Cue up the WAV file so it's ready to play on your PC
5) Hold remote up to the PC speaker and press SELECT
6) The red light will stay lit while the WAV file is playing. When the upgrade is complete, the LCD menu will exit.

For non-LCD remotes, like Kameleons...

1) Press and hold setup for 3 seconds
2) press other (Kameleons only)
3) press 997
4) The key pad flashes in a circle at top then screen goes blank (for Kameleons. I assume a similar display of some sort (2-flashes of LED?) appears for straight hard-button remotes) awaiting new wav file,
5) Hold remote up to the PC speaker and press SELECT (about where numbers are on keypad and put volume upto max).

Corrections/clarifications welcome.
Is there a Wave file for that good ol' famous IR signal that makes Pioneer DVD players multi-region compatible? If so, can someone please post a link. If not, can someone please describe how to convert the files found at http://www.pioneerfaq.info/english/dv600.php?player=DV-600AV&question=Multiregion to Wave? Thanks a million!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: