JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Issue with learned codes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
e34m5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...let me see if I get this..you are saying that setup code 1023 doesn't accept EFC's. I don't understand that statement.

What I was trying to say is that in either case with the 7800 using 0013 and the 8810 using 1023 and both with learned signals I could not get htis to work when using the EFC's.

I guess it's not a big deal since I have it on the learned buttons, but I like cleaning up those learned signals.

But I will try a few things that have been suggested when I get home later.....
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e34m5 wrote:
Ok...let me see if I get this..you are saying that setup code 1023 doesn't accept EFC's. I don't understand that statement.

In certain setup codes (1023 is one of them) using an EFC number does not work correctly.

e34m5 wrote:

What I was trying to say is that in either case with the 7800 using 0013 and the 8810 using 1023 and both with learned signals I could not get htis to work when using the EFC's.

The setup code has no effect on learning a signal, using a learned signal, nor decoding a learned signal.

The setup code does determine what is sent when you use an EFC.

The EFC methods (keymove or direct) would work correctly with your URC7800, so you must have made some operator error when testing that.

e34m5 wrote:

I guess it's not a big deal since I have it on the learned buttons, but I like cleaning up those learned signals.

You can clean up the learned signals for either the 7800 or the 8810, but the process is different. The KeyMove you defined for the '1' key for the 7800 is an example of the simplest method of replacing the learned signal on a 7800 using setup code 0013. Using a KeyMove on the 8810 using setup code 1023 is trickier and you would need a little more help.

On either the 7800 or the 8810, if you are short of KeyMove/Macro memory and/or you want to clean up several signals, it may be better to create an upgrade using KM or RM. That process is the same for either the 7800 or the 8810, since it is used instead of the built-in setup code rather than with the built-in setup code.
e34m5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok it works on the 7800 but not the 8810. It must have something to do with the 8810 and setup code 1023.

I haven't tried making a new upgrade code in KM yet. How do I extract all the codes from an existing built in code so I can start from there.

If this is explained somewhere just point me in that direction and I'll read..tx
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many setup codes, including RCVR/0013, are included in the devices4.xls file that you can find in the Yahoo files area. It is fairly easy to copy a column of EFC numbers from there to KM or RM to start an upgrade.

Most of these Pioneer receivers use pretty much the same signals as other Pioneer receivers, so you could look for an existing upgrade file for any Pioneer receiver and use it (rather than device4) as a starting point. Either way most of the work will be done as soon as you start.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now that you have one remote working, I am curious: what were you doing wrong before? this would be nice to know for future similar problems people may post.
JP1Files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e34m5 wrote:
Ok it works on the 7800 but not the 8810. It must have something to do with the 8810 and setup code 1023.

YER THINK!!!!! Have you been listening to anything we've been saying???
e34m5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez Rob..give me a break...maybe there are topics that I know better than you but I wouldn't rag on you about it....I'm not dumb, I am a programmer by trade, I have a EE degree and Masters Degree. Depending on our ages I may have even been programming in assembly when you were still in high school. So please show some respect for people you don't even know.

I simply was trying to understand the rationale...It seems illogical that EFC's work for everything except one setup code.

ubslipitor...

thanks for your help...I can only assume that the 7800 was some how hung up...I did a total reset on both remotes and started again, that worked on the 7800.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e34m5:

I have a simple guess about why the RCVR/1023 code does not work with EFCs in your keymove in the 8811. Opinions or other explanations would be welcomed.

[warning: SWAG detected on short range scanners, capt]

Here goes. The 1023 that I know of from the device upgrades folder is based on the pioneer protocol, but there can be up to 3 different "device numbers." So if you just supply an EFC and not a device number to the 1023 protocol, it does not know which of 3 different signals to send, so it sends nothing, or sends nothing useful.

I am not certain, but I would say there is a strong possibility that you could use the RCVR/1023 code in a keymove using the hex option, if you knew what hex to put in. Perhaps create a keymove in KM RCVR/1023 and paste it over to IR and see what the keymove looks like.

[SWAG in visual range. shall I charge weapons, capt? " Wink ]

On the other hand, the built-in RCVR/1023 may be very very different from the device upgrade version posted in our files.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e34m5 wrote:
Jeez Rob..give me a break...maybe there are topics that I know better than you but I wouldn't rag on you about it....I'm not dumb, I am a programmer by trade, I have a EE degree and Masters Degree. Depending on our ages I may have even been programming in assembly when you were still in high school. So please show some respect for people you don't even know.

I simply was trying to understand the rationale...It seems illogical that EFC's work for everything except one setup code.

e34m5, just how much "break" are you looking for? Tell me how we could have made this ANY CLEARER??? ...

johnsfine wrote:
Neither an EFC keymove nor the manual method of sending an EFC will work with setup code 1023.

The Robman wrote:
And what John was trying to clarify is that the URC-8810w doesn't have the RCVR/0013 code, so unless you add that code as an upgrade, the EFCs in question won't work. You mentioned the RCVR/1023 code in passing as though you could use the EFCs with this code instead, and the answer is... you can't.

The Robman wrote:
You could possibly be referring to the 1023 code in the 8810 which as we've also pointed out, doesn't accept EFCs!

e34m5 wrote:

johnsfine wrote:
In certain setup codes (1023 is one of them) using an EFC number does not work correctly.

mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e34m5 wrote:
Jeez Rob..give me a break...
I think he already did, and it's apparent that what we've got here is a failure to communicate (sorry for the cheap Easy Rider quote). Rolling Eyes

Anyway, just for your reference in future, the RCVR/1023 setup code is not the only one with this problem. A small (but growing) percentage of UEI's setup codes use what we call "2-byte" protocols, meaning that they take two bytes of command data in order to operate correctly. An EFC can only supply one of those two bytes. When you attempt to invoke these types of setup codes with an EFC, the missing data will be picked up from leftover garbage in the remote's RAM, and the resulting IR command sent will probably not be the one you want. As Steve has mentioned, there are ways around this in IR, but just entering the EFC is not one of them.
e34m5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally someone with a technical explanation as to why EFC's may not work..that is all I was asking for.

Sorry I ever asked.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e34m5 wrote:
Finally someone with a technical explanation as to why EFC's may not work..that is all I was asking for.

Sorry I ever asked.

But the point is, you didn't ask, you just kept ignoring everything we were telling you. Try looking at it from our point of view, we're here every single day trying to help you guys get started with JP1, and I think we do a pretty good job, but there's only so much we can do. When someone repeatedly ignores what we are saying, it can be pretty frustrating!
e34m5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...let's stop...thanks for the help...
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e34m5 wrote:
Just trying to help you out, same as everyone else here.
e34m5 wrote:
Sorry I ever asked.
Ok...let's stop...thanks for the help...
Hmmm. Most of us check our attitude at the door around here. I think you'll find that we're a very agreeable bunch for the most part. I also think you need to give Rob a break. He's been doing JP1 longer than any of us, and in my book, that gives him the right to become frustrated every once in a while. Wink
e34m5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never exhibited attitude..I was looking for logical explanations....and no I will never give rudeness a break.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: