JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New radio shack remote; 15-135
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: New radio shack remote; 15-135 Reply with quote

The new Radio shack remote, it is HD TV remote, the 15-135, $19.95.

It takes 5 digit setup codes and 5 digit EFC's. It is a learning remote, and is marked jp1.3 on the PC board. Unlike the 15-100, the pins are in plain sight. And unlike the 15-100, this remote stinks. Keys are too small, and feel like they're even with the case. No backlighting,

Speaking of the 15-100, its on sale for $19.99.

Last edited by MaskedMan on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that it's on sale for $14.99, it's not so bad. I picked it up just to have another JP1.3 to play with. But it's actually starting to grow on me. MaskedMan correctly pointed out it's flaws, but for $15 I can overlook most of them. It does have a few things going for it:
    Tons of buttons (more than my 8910)
    Tons of codes (even DirecTV and my new Toshiba DVD-R)
    Tons of memory (double the move/macro, upgrade and learning of an 8910)
    Small and light
    Learning
    Shift key is not recessed

Last edited by mdavej on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
hwiggers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Radioshack 15-135 and jp1.3 Reply with quote

Hi,
I am newbie to this forum. I just bought the 15-135 figuring like you that for $16 it's fun to play around with. If you are thinking on making some files for this I would really appreciate a copy. Also I ordered the JP1 "contact less" cable from eBay. This device seems to have jp1.3 does that work with a jp1 cable and "remote master" or is it a whole new ball of wax? I can easily build a jp1.2 serial cable as shown in this forum. Would that have a better chance of success? The problem I face is that I have bunch of no-standard equipment to control. The TV is a Viewsonic N2750W for which nobody seems to have codes. Then I have a hi-sense (DB2020) HDTV receiver which also seems to have no standard code. Finally an Emerson DVD player MVD2042. So the only way out I see is to use the original remotes to gather the codes and then teach them to this device. If this device is not suitable, I would appreciate a recommendation for an alternative. As long as it does not involve a lot of money.
Thanks for your help
Evan_s

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could link the cable you bought that would help but most likely no. A jp1.3 device requires a cable that would usually be referred to as a jp1.x or jp1.2 cable. If it's a parallel cable then it definitely won't work. There has never been a parallel cable design for jp1.x remotes.

The jp1.2 serial cable should work great and since it's a learning remote getting it to control your devices shouldn't be a problem.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-135 is on sale for $10 thru 3/15. Even if you can't stand it for every day use, it's worth that just to have a JP1.3 learning remote on hand for building upgrades.
sidiko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej

I bought a couple of the 15-135s today for $10 each. I do not have a serial port on my new compaq notebook. Is there a USB cable I can use to program this remote?

I am a beginner, so I know I need to look the forum over for the necessary reads, but right now I am wondering what the difference is between a JP1, JP1.1, etc.

I downloaded your RDF but I am a long way from upgrades.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need THIS JP1.3 cable. All you really need to know as a beginner is that older remotes are JP1, newer ones are 1.1 (rare), 1.2 or 1.3 (collectively 1.x). JP1 and 1.x require different cables, but all use the same software tools - IR, RM, KM. JP1 is also a very broad term applied to any remote these tools interface with. Since the cable is your biggest investment (more than your remotes in this case), once you go down the 1.3 path, you'll probably want to stick with those. Luckily most new JP1 remotes are JP1.2 or 1.3, both of which will work with your cable for years to come. Just search the forums for more details.

Also, the standard connector is too big to fit the 135. You may opt for a more expensive cable with a smaller connector (just tell the vendor), or simply remove the outer clip from the standard connector yourself.

You can also do quite a bit without JP1. Check out Rob's wonderful MANUAL to use learning, key moves, advanced codes and macros right away. A quick reference updated for the 135 is available HERE.
sidiko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks a lot. I will check all of the links you provided right now.

Also, one or two other forum members have given me suggestions on what to read first.

I just "road tested" the remote, and by following the directions in the book, I have been UNsuccessful in controlling my Sony GX-330 DVD recorder. Also, can't control my Harmon Kardon AV receiver either. Unexpectedly, I turned off/on my RCA laserdisk player and my RCA TV while scrolling through codes "searching" for a code that would control the DVD recorder.
sidiko

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Trouble using the 15-135 Reply with quote

mdavej,

I tried using the pregramming link for my 15-135 and I could not program it to control my Sony DVD recorder, even after I read it needed to be programmed "under" a VCR key. I searched for the codes after entering manually. I am striking out big time.

What do I need to read to implement some of the upgrades or even see in any of my entertainment equipment remote codes are known to use these tools?
kupakai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: A Reply with quote

If you want to try using a built in code. you might have a better chance with the Sony GX-330 by changing the DVD recorder's command mode to DVD1. There are very few remote models with the default DVD3 mode, but plenty with DVD1 mode built in. Of course, when you get your JP1.x cable, it doesn't matter so much.

It doesn't look like the 15-135 has a built in setup code for the HK receiver, but HK is fairly consistant about the ir codes they use so you should be able to find an upgrade file that you can start with. However, make sure you use an upgrade file that uses "NEC 4 Device Combo", not "HK Combo". HK Combo is essentially NEC 2 DEV Combo with the first device as 128.112 and second device as 130.114. It was created before there were NEC Combo protocols, and will either require a protocol upgrade, or RM will complain that there is no protocol upgrade for your remote, depending on the remote (I think in case of JP1.3 remote, it will be the former).
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If these sony codes 20533, 21533, 20864, 20772, 21033, 21431, 21516 or the harmon kardon code 31289 doesn't work, you can either learn the buttons for each, or wait until you get a cable. Once you have a cable, there are several upgrades on this site you can try. And if they don't work, it's easy to make your own. Don't dispair.

You can get a head start by reading THIS, as well as most of the stickies in the beginner's forum. You'll need Remote Master, a.k.a. RM to build your upgrades, and IR to program the remote. Both are available from the Tools folder in the File section.

And the sony doesn't have to be under a VCR key. It can be on any device key on this remote. The first number in the code dictates the device type. Your code search in the 2xxxx range shouldn't have affected your TV. Although some of the older help docs on this site talk about 4 digit codes, you need to make sure you use 5.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one of these remotes. But on the Comcast JP1.3 the built in code 21070 will control the GX330. Check and see if that code is in your remote. You don't need to find total control. A partially working upgrade will allow you to build the codes you need via keymoves.
mattg568

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this remote also. I've tried the DVD code 21070 that vickyg mentioned and the 15-135 would not accept it.

I rather like the remote alot. I like small buttons on a remote and it doesn't seem like the buttons are flush to the remote. They are elevated some, even as high as the buttons on my 10820.

I am also awaiting my USB JP1.2/3 cable from Tommy. Just make sure you tell him that you want that smaller IDC connector for an extra $5 if you want to use his cable for the 15-135.
sidiko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I set my GX-330 to DVD1 per "kupakai." Codes did not work in the -135 at first. Then I searched, found it. 20533. But hey, that was my first manually input code. Must have fumbled with the buttons.

CANNOT PAUSE RECORD. CAN'T EVEN STOP RECORD ONCE BEGUN WITH THE -135. But, maybe a shift operation involved? I see 2 keys that look like dual use, but nothing in the manual about it!

But, I have a cable on order from Tommy.

And a lot of reading and learning ahead.

mattg568, what was up with you trying vickyg? Just fooling around or do you have a Sony GX-330 DVD recorder too?

Gonna see if I can program a macro now, maybe see what advanced codes are all about. Anybody got a link describing advanced codes?
sidiko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't let this blow your mind! It looks like the code was actually 21533. I got confused because it took a shift P, Power combo to turn the unit on/off. And I got a little fowled up on the key sequence on page 8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: