JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Upgrade for Samsung Rear Projection TV SP-434JMF, plz ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digital_silence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Upgrade for Samsung Rear Projection TV SP-434JMF, plz ? Reply with quote

1. Device: Samsung SP-434JMF (chassis SPT52A)
2. Type of device: Rear Projection TV
3. Year: ???? (around 2002)
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: URC-8811
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? No
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? No
10. Learning remote question? n/a
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although you used the template (so we know you do not have the original remote from which to learn) it appears that you perhaps didn't read the post from which the template comes:

Quote:
7. Checked the file section?
This is more of a checklist item than a real question. The assumption is that you have checked the file section to see if someone else has created an upgrade for this device but didn't find one. Please provide more details if this is not the case. AND REMEMBER, you don't always need to find the exact model that you have as many manufacturers use the same codeset for all models of a device.

If you have tested the upgrades for similar models and they didn't work, please say so in your post. If you found an upgrade that partially works, please post a link to it. DO NOT refer to upgrades by the setup code number that was used as this is meaningless.

This page shows about 20 or so Samsung TV upgrades, and almost all of them are similar. I would be surprised if any one of those upgrades doesn't provide you with a pretty good starting point.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
digital_silence

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, captain.

I did read and did understand the post you quoted.
(Been to JP1 since 2004, despite my # of posts in this forum :)

I have looked through the Samsung devices list in the files section thoroughly, but did not think that any of the devices in the list would have similar functionality to the subject. That is why I decided to ask the forum first.
Surely, if I don't get anything closer, I'll start trying those upgrades one by one. Looks like this is the case anyway. Thanks for your thoughts.

BTW, the Pronto file section contains something that looks closest of all to my model: SP-403JHA
Can anyone pls convert it to 8811 compatible upgrade? Thanks in advance.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try DecodeCCF.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done that thanks.

Still... If anyone here has an original remote for the subj, could they please reply to this thread if they are kind enough to help me with learning all keys and posting the dump here.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a new bunch of new questions due to the slight scenario change.

I have found someone locally with the original remote, but they are reluctant to just lend it to me for a day or two, so I have negotiated to come to their place in the next few days and "teach" my remote "while they wait" (unfortunately the owner of original remote isn't technical at all and got a bit suspicious even as to what "learning" may mean... :-)

Anyway, I am going to take my 8811 and learn. The issue now is how to do this quickly and efficiently with someone (who is basically doing you a favour) staring over your shoulder... :)

The original remote has 54 buttons ! Hence the questions (all about learning capabilities of URC8811):

1) I understand that NOT only L1 to L4 buttons can be used to learn commands. What other buttons can I use for "learning" on my 8811 ?

2) How many buttons can be used for "learning" per one device in 8811 ?

3) Can I use the same buttons for learning in the next device of 8811 without loosing the learnt commands of those buttons for previous device?
For example, if I "teach" numerical buttons of one device (say, TV commands) and then "teach" the numerical buttons again, differently, for other device (say, VCR), will the numerical buttons be still controlling TV if I select TV device on 8811 ?

4) Due to internal memory limitations, how many "learnt" commands can be stored in 8811 all together ?

5) What would you suggest me in my situation when I am away from home trying to learn 54 commands with 8811 ? What's the best strategy to get the most out of that opportunity?

Thanks in advance for your replies,
:-DS
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I would respectfully suggest that in the three days (now 4) since you started this thread, it would have taken you about 30-45 minutes to try 1 or 2 of the upgrades to which I referred you in the first post, and you might have your working upgrade. I don't understand your reluctance to do so, but if you insist on travelling the more difficult path:
digital_silence wrote:
There's a new bunch of new questions due to the slight scenario change.

I have found someone locally with the original remote, but they are reluctant to just lend it to me for a day or two, so I have negotiated to come to their place in the next few days and "teach" my remote "while they wait" (unfortunately the owner of original remote isn't technical at all and got a bit suspicious even as to what "learning" may mean... Smile

Anyway, I am going to take my 8811 and learn. The issue now is how to do this quickly and efficiently with someone (who is basically doing you a favour) staring over your shoulder... Smile

The original remote has 54 buttons ! Hence the questions (all about learning capabilities of URC8811):

1) I understand that NOT only L1 to L4 buttons can be used to learn commands. What other buttons can I use for "learning" on my 8811 ?
Virtually ANY button except for the device buttons, the "set" or "setup" button, and probably the "FAV" and/or "Exit" keys (I'm not too sure). But all of the numeric, transport, volume and mute, channel up/down, even power can be learned to.
digital_silence wrote:

2) How many buttons can be used for "learning" per one device in 8811 ?
?
There's no "per device" limit. There is an overall memory limitation. Depending on how efficiently your remote learns the commands (depends on the structure of the signal itself, and the strength of the batteries in both sending and learning remotes - ensure they're all brand new fully charged batteries) you may get as few as 15 or as many as 35, TOTAL for all devices combined.
digital_silence wrote:

3) Can I use the same buttons for learning in the next device of 8811 without loosing the learnt commands of those buttons for previous device?
Yes, memory permitting.
digital_silence wrote:

For example, if I "teach" numerical buttons of one device (say, TV commands) and then "teach" the numerical buttons again, differently, for other device (say, VCR), will the numerical buttons be still controlling TV if I select TV device on 8811 ?
Yes
digital_silence wrote:
4) Due to internal memory limitations, how many "learnt" commands can be stored in 8811 all together ?
Answered above
digital_silence wrote:

5) What would you suggest me in my situation when I am away from home trying to learn 54 commands with 8811 ? What's the best strategy to get the most out of that opportunity??
I would wager that you won't learn all 54 due to memory limits.
1.Clear your remote with a 981 reset before you begin.
2.Ensure good batteries in both remotes.
3. Make yourself a little spreadsheet with the names of your 8811 buttons and blanks to fill in what OEM functions you are learning to them.
4. Learn only 2 or 3 numbers, and focus on the functions you will need most, or are "unusual" before you run out of memory.

You will likely find a pattern within some of the more common functions that will obviate the need to learn EVERY numeric button.
digital_silence wrote:

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Very HappyS
But my FIRST recommendation remains "Try the existing upgrades!" It sounds MUCH quicker and easier, and considering the time you have already invested in this, more efficient.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Capn,

Your answers are clear - appreciated.
I thought of a little trick too - I'll take my laptop with me (with IR.EXE in it) and will backup the "learnt" URC8811 once its memory runs out, then learn the rest of the commands -> backup -> and so on...

As to your headline suggestion: what makes you think that I don't try that ? I am just exploring different paths, and trying to be multitasking (like Windows(TM)... sic :)... whichever works first for me...

Anyway, I have by now tried THREE different upgrades (including the one converted from CCF from Pronto site - see above) - all to no avail... And surely I'll keep trying... unless I sooner work it out by "learning from original".

I'll keep you posted. Watch this space. And thanks once again.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
As to your headline suggestion: what makes you think that I don't try that ?
Because you haven't said so previously. Good Luck.

Amazon Firestick
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
digital_silence wrote:
As to your headline suggestion: what makes you think that I don't try that ?
Because you haven't said so previously.

You're right, I probably should've. But when you have "nothing to write home about..."

Anyway, Capn, all in all - you won: I found one of the upgrades from the file section that worked on a subj in the very small part. Then it took me few hours to figure out the rest of functionality (got it pretty much all now, except the teletext functions that I haven't found... not that I need those badly anyway).

Hence, I saved myself a 50 mile round trip to "learning" place.
But I lost almost a day figuring out all codes.
But I gained more experience working with JP1 and a satisfaction of having the job done.
But I lost the virtual battle to Capn Trips... :-)

I'll upload the upgrade when I tidy it up to the stage that is "uploadable".

Thanks once again to all contributed.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did you use the brute force method on the Samsung? I ended up getting into the service menu by mistake when I walked through the functions on my Samsung. Getting into the service menu was more than a little frightening. But what did happen was that I found my Samsung had lots and lots of features that were not on the origninal remote.

I'm not sure what teletext functions are. Did 216 or 00216 give you CC when you send it as an advanced code? Are you perhaps looking for the SAP functions?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about winning or losing. It's just frustrating when the more experienced users' advice is seemingly not given appropriate consideration.

Vicky, teletext is an OTA TV digital information functionality relatively widespread in Europe. Usually relying on the colored buttons of the remotes, it allows you access to text-based pages through your TV that can carry news headlines, sports scores, stock prices, etc. I never used it during my time in the UK, but was peripherally aware of its presence.

On my JVC TV, all of the teletext functions were accessed using a DIFFERENT Device Number from the primary TV functions (In this case, TV used JVC:3 and teletext used a mix of JVC:15 and JVC:35, so I had to create (with help) a hybrid combo upgrade.)

Digital, I don't know what the situation is with your Samsung TV, but it is possible that the teletext functions use a different device or subdevice code from the primary functions, so a brute-force search may not be possible. (or practical - since you could have 256 device codes x 256 OBCs to test).

If NONE of the upgrades in the file section has any teletext functions for you to start a search from, you may still have to make that round trip to learn those codes for subsequent decoding. Evil or Very Mad

P.S. Digital, could you please upload your file to the file section and post a link to it here, so that the next guy (or gal) can benefit from your hard work, as well? Thanks.

Amazon Firestick
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well before you make the round trip, you might want to visit a local appliance store and see if they are selling any Samsung equipment. Its been my experience that Samsung is very steady in there use of codes. The new stuff is still using most of the same codes that my old Samsung uses. Capture the teletext signals and see if they do the trick.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
I never used it during my time in the UK, but was peripherally aware of its presence.
Well put, Capn, that's exactly how I'd describe my relationship with Teletext services. So my motivation for figuring out all those teletext button codes isn't very high... :-)

Capn Trips wrote:
If NONE of the upgrades in the file section has any teletext functions for you to start a search from, you may still have to make that round trip to learn those codes for subsequent decoding.
As I said, it's quite a distance. I'll see first whether I can work them out by learning from the remotes in the local store as vickyg2003 suggested or trying more upgrades.

Capn Trips wrote:
P.S. Digital, could you please upload your file to the file section and post a link to it here, so that the next guy (or gal) can benefit from your hard work, as well? Thanks.
This has been always implied, Capn (see my post above). I can upload it now as it is without teletext buttons, but prefer to spend a bit more time to see if I can get those included too.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
Capn Trips wrote:
This has been always implied, Capn (see my post above). I can upload it now as it is without teletext buttons, but prefer to spend a bit more time to see if I can get those included too.

My recommendation would be that you load the file up now, then if you make improvements to it in the future, you can always update it.

The reason I recommend this approach is that if you don't do it now, there's a good chance that you may forget about it and never load the file. I'm not saying that you would do this, but in most other cases when people promise to load a file in the future, we never get it. For us, an incomplete file is better than no file.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: