JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MCE on URC 8820 not working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rindertp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: MCE on URC 8820 not working Reply with quote

I have built me an Antec fusion HTPC, which is working allright. This case has a build in reciever which works with MCE remotes. I don't own a MCE remote and because I am a JP1 'er I should be able to build an MCE upgrade for my URC 8820 easily. Well it turns out I am not. I also have an old crappy 9910 (buttons are bad) I successfully imported the MCE update from the forum for this one. When I try to do the same in my 8820 I use the same upgrade chanced the remote to 8820, changed the protocol from manual to MCE an set the device code to 4 and the OEM2 code to 15. The remote does give some results. For instance the "play" button is actually a "down" action. I have to press hard and repeatedly. When I reposition the function to the "down" button it does not function at all. Think this has something to do with bits (which I don't understand). So for now I am out of options.
Hope some one can help me.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you started an upgrade from scratch, chances are you have "alternate keyboard" or whatever it says, selected on the General Tab in IR. This produces the symptoms of scrambled buttons on upgrades. You need to change this to standard. Or whatever. I'm at work so I don't have IR to see what the settings actually say.

I don't know what is going on with the need to press hard though.
rindertp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly, you want me to check if the device settings of my upgrade correspond with the IR device type settings (TV, CD DVD etc.)
I did that. I used SAT as in the original upgrade.There might be an inconsistency here as I used SAT/CBL in IR. I then tried an upgrade using PVR in both the upgrade and IR. This is not working either. A lot of functions are still scattered all over the buttons. Tough I don't have to press as hard and as much as before and more functions seem to work. This could be coincidental because the Antec fusion IMON display software is verry unstable
and freezes now and than.
greenough1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the general tab in IR, there's a choice for alternate or standard keypad. Vicky's suggesting to make sure you have chosen standard. The symptom of scrambled functions can be due to this mis-selection.

jeff
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinder, that's not what I want you to do.

Start IR

Go to the General Tab

Look at OtherSettings.

Scroll down and find where it says "KeyMap"

Change the setting to "Standard"

---------------------------------

If you don't have "KeyMap" in your "Other Settings" in the "General" tab in IR, you need to get an updated RDF.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked, and I don't see that the 8820 has a "KeyMap" setting, so I guess I led you down the wrong path.

How did you create your upgrade? RM or KM? Which ever one you chose, make sure its got the latest version to work with.
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your upgrade generating a protocol upgrade?? I had similar problems and
it turned out to be the protocol. The 8820 has a built in MCE protocol and doesn't need a upgrade. I could probably dig up the file I used in my archives
somewhere, let me know if I should look for it.

Mike
rindertp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky
I used KM 9.12, RM 1.82 and IR 7.08 which I believe are the latest versions

Mike
The MCE protocol does not generate a protocol upgrade for the URC 8820 as far as I can see. The original file is for URC-9800 / 8800 with manual settings. It does create extra procol code.
If you think I have the same problem as you had, I most certainly am interested in your file.

Rindert
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8820 does have an alternate keymap. Check your RDF [Settings] Section has the following line:
KeyMap=$01F.5.1.0.0 (Standard;Alternate)

Last edited by binky123 on Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 8820 does have an alternate keymap. Check your RDF [Settings] Section has the following line:
KeyMap=$01F.5.1.0.0 (Standard;Alternate)

Thanks Binky!

I'll change the extender RDF. I checked the RDF in the Main Tools and the RDF folder and I didn't see an upgrade for this.
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the file http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5238 another important thing for the 8820 is to start with a download from the remote and modify from there. Starting a new file from scratch doesn't work correctly for some reason. If you uploaded a file made from scratch you may have to do a reset and then download from the remote.

Mike
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

I'll change the extender RDF. I checked the RDF in the Main Tools and the RDF folder and I didn't see an upgrade for this.

I did post my 10820 RDF but it must have been deleted in favor of the all-in-one RDF.

[General] should also have
FavKey=$18,$00,10,5
rindertp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I downloaded your file (Thanks) Unfortunately it did 't work (scattered buttons again)

I than edited the RDF with Binky's line and.... it's working! So Vicky you were right from the beginning.
Thanks Mike, Vicky and Binky . This forum is great.
Rindert
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: