JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One for all cannot learn my device properly - can JP1 help?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paoleela

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I have a similar problem.
I got a URC7781 (with modem) and before learning to use JP1 and RM, I liked to get every device basically working. For instance my most important AV-Processor TAG McLaren AV32R. There is one existing device code I entered, but only volume works (weird enough since this manufacture had only few devices all using the same codes). Then I started teaching the remote manually.
But for the Surround-Key (cycling surround modes) the learned button only works once, after that it doesn't work anymore. The original remote works as usual, then the 7781 works again only once, but not cycling. What is the reason for that? Is the learned function weak or uncertain, but why only working once? Is the key on the original some unusual kind of macro?
You already have that device in your database, I'm going to try that later when starting with RM. Just like to understand why some buttons cannot be learned from original.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a learning problem; instead you have run across a feature of the RC-5 IR protocol. It (also its siblings RC-5x and RC-6) uses a toggle bit which flips between 0 and 1 with each button press. Your AV32R expects this behavior and won't respond unless the toggle bit changes, or some other IR signal is received. But any learned signal is just a snapshot, and it always sends the same value of the toggle bit, so the AVR doesn't respond.

The solution is to not use learned signals, and instead use a UEI executor. It knows to flip the toggle bit on each successive button press. Here's how to manually program your remote to send signals to the AVR32R. (Of course, using a cable is quite a bit more efficient).

Use setup code Audio 1089, 1189, 1289, or 1269. These setup codes all use the RC-5/5x Combo executor. The executor notes in RemoteMaster tell us that
Code:
RC5 functions:  You can combine ANY Device number for RC5 functions (all selections are made on the Functions sheet). It can do all 128 OBC's for any device in RC5.
Open a second instance of RM and open the AVR23R upgrade. Note that the upgrade uses the RC-5 executor, which isn't built in to the 7781 because the RC-5/5x Combo executor has superseded the older executor. That means that you need to take the Device number and OBC for each function in the upgrade and enter them into the RM session which has RC-5/5x selected.

I think Surround is device 19, OBC 37. Entering those numbers onto the Functions tab of the RC-5/5x RM instance (ignoring the RC5x columns) yields an EFC of 27321. I'm not familiar with the 7781, but here are generic instructions for entering an EFC into UEI remotes. Now your 7781 should send a properly toggling signal to the AVR32R.

I usually copy entire columns from one instance of RemoteMaster and paste them into the other instance. Saves some time.
paoleela

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice about toggle bits and EFC. This makes it more clear to me. Though the standard guide about how to enter EFC won't apply to the 7781 I guess, since it has a different device selector with menu structure.

Before creating my cable I tried using rmaster offline, but there I already fail. I opened some of the device upgrade .txt files, but nothing is shown in the rmaster after opening. Shouldn't I see the buttons tables there? You said you're working with 2 instances copying some lines manually, but there is nothing to see after opening some device files.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For entering keymoves manually, see the instructions in the URC-7781 manual. Just look for Key Magic (page 25 in the English section). I downloaded the manual from http://www.oneforall.com/support/manual.

To use RM without a cable, roughly follow the instructions in the Wiki, especially those related to Device Upgrades. The screen shots show the expected behavior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: