JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

One for all cannot learn my device properly - can JP1 help?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to http://www.oneforall-int.com/?pag=54 and selected URC7555 , VCR and Alba and it listed some setup codes that aren't NEC. Have you tried any of these? Your device is a combo(DVD/TV) so is it possible the remote is sending signals to both devices? It would be easier to look at the learned signal data if you had a JP1.2 cable. Perhaps try getting one from a fellow member in the UK?

URC7555 VCR
Setup Code : 0278
Setup Code : 0072
Setup Code : 0352
Setup Code : 0000
Setup Code : 0315
Setup Code : 0348
Setup Code : 0081
gtg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...

URC7555 VCR
Setup Code : 0278 - nothing
Setup Code : 0072 - nothing
Setup Code : 0352 - channel +/- responds as below
Setup Code : 0000 - nothing
Setup Code : 0315 - nothing
Setup Code : 0348 - nothing
Setup Code : 0081 - nothing

Response:
Power, 3, 9, 7 & 8 <,>, red& green give channel +/-
toggling required for repeat ie, power,1,power,1 etc gives repeated channel up.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're pretty much at the point where w can safely say that your OEM remote sends a signal that is NOT NEC2, but is sufficiently similar to engender the response you are seeing. I believe that without the actual data from a learned signal from the OEM remote, so that an expert here can write you a custom executor, you're not going to make much progress.

You can do this by getting a JP1.2 cable and learning and downloading the results, or by building yourself a digitrace probe (REALLY brilliant trivial Tommy Tyler design!) and learning some OEM signals using IT and having the experts look at them.

The latter option may be faster and cheaper than the former.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VCR/DVD/0352 was already noted as device=128 subdevice=100 so not much else to go on.

You may want to try CaptureIR java program if you have a parallel port and can hook up wires to an IR sensor perhaps on an old VCR. CaptureIR samples the data coming from the IR sensor output.

Do you have a USB-Serial cable? You may be able to open it up and use it as a JP1.2 cable. One person was able to get a PL2303 to talk with a JP1.3 remote.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hmm, if gtg finds out what kind of signal he/she has, how is gtg going to install an upgrade for the remote without a JP1.2 cable? Is this a modem equipped remote?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:

Hmm, if gtg finds out what kind of signal he/she has, how is gtg going to install an upgrade for the remote without a JP1.2 cable? Is this a modem equipped remote?
baby steps Smile

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
gtg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help folks...

The "capture IR" looks like the way to go, unfortunately the only UK supplier I can find so far is Farnell, with the componant costing £0.30 and minimum shipping £15.99 but I'll keep looking for that and JP1.2 cables in the UK.

At least we all agree that there is no simple solution to what looks like a rather obscure OEM remote so I might just have to live with it.

Thanks again.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As vicky points out above, the decode will do you little good unless you have a way to upload any upgrade created from that decode, for which you will still ultimately require a cable. Unless I misread the OFA-Europe website info, but it appears that neither your 7555 nor 7950 is modem upgradeable, are they?

A potentially cheaper (but only 1-time) solution is for you to mail your OEM remote to somebody willing to learn, decode it, build an upload an upgrade for you. Then your only cost is shipping both ways and time. There are a few regulars on this forum in the UK (as I once was) who might be so inclined.

Amazon Firestick
gtg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had considered suggesting sending the remote to someone for analysis, but thought they would need access to the device for testing.

Anyway there are other uses I could put JP1 to if I can source a cable, so I'll keep looking....
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to pick up a USB-Serial cable and see what chip it uses inside. Many have a PL2303 chip inside. A user in this thread was able to hook up directly to the PL2303 and use it to talk with a JP1.3 remote.
gtg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now that I have a working JP1.x interface I can see what the remote thinks it's seeing.

Let's start with the basics, I taught the remote consecutive keypress of the #1 key and this is what I get.

1st keypress of device key 1 gives...
Protocol RC5, device 30, no subdevice, OBC 18, Hex command B4 or B5 or B6, EFC 111 or 103 or 127, Misc T=1 U=1780:1780

2nd keypress of device key 1 gives...
Protocol RC5, device 30, no subdevice, OBC 18, Hex command B4 or B5 or B6, EFC 111 or 103 or 127, Misc T=0 U=1780:1780

Any suggestions as to how I go about implementing a RC5 protocol with toggle function, and is it normal to see 3 possible hex commands for each key?
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtg wrote:
Any suggestions as to how I go about implementing a RC5 protocol with toggle function
If you build an upgrade using the RC5 protocol you don't need to worry about the toggle bit since the executor takes care of it.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtg wrote:
Any suggestions as to how I go about implementing a RC5 protocol with toggle function,

As Mark said, don't worry about that. When RC5 signals are sent by an upgrade and/or by keymoves, the toggle bit is automatically handled. Only learned signals fail to toggle.

gtg wrote:
is it normal to see 3 possible hex commands for each key?

That is because the RC5 executor is a "mini-combo".

When building a new upgrade based on the decode info, just ignore the EFC numbers and hex commands. Use the OBC number instead and let KM or RM figure out the EFC number.

If you needed to base keymoves on an existing setup code (rather than build a new upgrade), you would need to know the right EFC number. It is one of the three listed by the decode, but one can't tell which one without knowing internal details of the chosen setup code.

In each device number, RC5 supports OBC numbers 0 to 127. But OFA remotes support RC5 in a strange way. In each setup code you can have up to three halves of an RC5 device. Each half is one device number with either OBC numbers 0 to 63 or OBC numbers 64 to 127. The EFC number encodes one of the three half devices within the setup code and one of the 64 OBC numbers within that half device.

For example, Audio/1786 in the URC-7555 has the three half RC5 devices:
Device 30, OBC 0 to 63
Device 29, OBC 0 to 63
Device 31, OBC 0 to 63.
So if you wanted to use KeyMoves in that setup code for any RC5 signal that is Device 30, OBC 0 to 63, you would use the first EFC number listed in the decode. If the device were 29, you'd use the second EFC number. If the device were 31, you'd use the third EFC number. But if the OBC number were 64 to 127, you couldn't use that built-in setup code at all, because all three of its half devices are for OBC numbers 0 to 63.
gtg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks, I think that gives me enough info and confidence in the data I'm seeing to have a go at building an upgrade for my device. Might take a while, but if I get stuck I will post back here.
gtg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know I have managed to build an upgrade for my Alba DVD/Freeview combo box A couple of bugs to iron out, but we're just about there.

Once again thanks to all those who support and help out in these forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: