JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Off topic - car keyfob RF Remotes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Off topic - car keyfob RF Remotes Reply with quote

I need some basic information about RF remote controls. A guy in my building just got a similar car to mine last week. They are both about 10 years old. This morning I pushed my unlock button and his panic alarm went off. When he came out we were talking and I tried to set off his alarm again, and it didn't happen. By then I had unlocked my car, so I pressed lock and his car beeped in response! It doesn't happen all the time, just often enough.

I called my dealer to see what can be done, and he said this was NOT POSSIBLE.

It is obviously, possible, since its happening intermittently. I suppose my key could be the problem, it only opens my own car intermittently, or it could just be the weather or some other phenomenon. Anyway, as a female, I have lots of problems getting the service guys to believe I have a problem. I asked the DH to help me handle this, and he just rolled his eyes and says YOU are the remote control fanatic, YOU deal with it! Doh!

Anyway does anyone know anything about automotive RF remotes? Can you point me to good reading on the topic.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Off topic - RF Remotes Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I need some basic information about RF remote controls. A guy in my building just got a similar car to mine last week. They are both about 10 years old. This morning I pushed my unlock button and his panic alarm went off. When he came out we were talking and I tried to set off his alarm again, and it didn't happen. By then I had unlocked my car, so I pressed lock and his car beeped in response! It doesn't happen all the time, just often enough.

I called my dealer to see what can be done, and he said this was NOT POSSIBLE.

It is obviously, possible, since its happening intermittently. I suppose my key could be the problem, it only opens my own car intermittently, or it could just be the weather or some other phenomenon. Anyway, as a female, I have lots of problems getting the service guys to believe I have a problem. I asked the DH to help me handle this, and he just rolled his eyes and says YOU are the remote control fanatic, YOU deal with it! Doh!

Anyway does anyone know anything about automotive RF remotes? Can you point me to good reading on the topic.

I know this is a three year old post... but in trying to figure out what DH stands for, I can't help but to answer. Basically, the dealer used the wrong term because it is improbable not impossible. Anyways, here's a good article to read. Regarding the functionality of those remote key fobs.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry2.htm
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article. I no longer work at that location, so the problem is over, but it was a problem big problem for me for months. I was continually setting off this guys alarm and vice versa. We finally came to an agreement that neither one of us would use the remote while in the parking lot.

Now I've changed cars and am having similar problems. The alarm goes off about 10 times a day while we are in FL. The dealership can't turn it off, so the only way to keep it from going off is to leave the car unlocked. Great security system!

BTW in DH, H is husband the D varies in the context of the post.
Wink
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Great article. I no longer work at that location, so the problem is over, but it was a problem big problem for me for months. I was continually setting off this guys alarm and vice versa. We finally came to an agreement that neither one of us would use the remote while in the parking lot.

Now I've changed cars and am having similar problems. The alarm goes off about 10 times a day while we are in FL. The dealership can't turn it off, so the only way to keep it from going off is to leave the car unlocked. Great security system!

One way around the fiasco is to install a third-party automotive alarm. The idea is to get off of the same system that everyone else is using. I think certain types of alarms will even lower your insurance rates.

vickyg2003 wrote:
BTW in DH, H is husband the D varies in the context of the post.
Wink

Ah, lol... that explains why ElizabethD started talking about her DH. And I was like... wha? Is it the same one? OMG he gets around. lol It was just one of those things that I noticed and drew it up as in inside joke. Anyways, mystery solve. Thanks!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well another abbreviation that had me scratching my head was WAF. That was the wife acceptablility factor. I guess that one was so hard to figure out because my DH doesn't care about the WAF. Laughing
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Well another abbreviation that had me scratching my head was WAF. That was the wife acceptablility factor. I guess that one was so hard to figure out because my DH doesn't care about the WAF. Laughing

Haha. Believe it or not, WAF is in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_acceptance_factor) but DH isn't. I think you need to create a page for it..
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

Haha. Believe it or not, WAF is in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_acceptance_factor) but DH isn't. I think you need to create a page for it..
There's always Urban Dictionary... Wink
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note that neither the UD nor Wikipedia have KAF (like WAF but referring to kids) yet I have seen both WAF and KAF used in the same sentence in posts on this forum:

The Robman wrote:
The WAF and KAF in my household is perfect...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be because I totally made that one up.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here was me thinking that KAF was a perfectly cromulent acronym.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: