JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Success with Extended 8911

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DGG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Success with Extended 8911 Reply with quote

With a little difficulty, I've now programmed my extended 8911 to do just what I want. While some of the things I did are pretty routine, e.g., system set-up for each device mode, I used Toadtogs to record system mode so that I can momentarily use the full remote to "talk" to any device, but, with a single button push, restore the remote to the proper Home Theater configuration (which might not be unique but is pretty neat nonetheless).

As I noted, I had a couple of tool problems along the way. The first was an error in the latest RDF, which I previously reported. The second has to do with IR, and I'll leave it to the experts to decide whether it's a bug or a feature. In either case, upon changing my TV from device type=TV to device type=Cable, (in order to save a few keymoves), IR updated all the keymoves that had been configured automatically by KM (e.g., assignment to SHIFT keys). However, it neither updated nor warned me about keymoves for the previous TV device that had been entered from IR (e.g., assignment to xs keys) and which I still needed with Cable. That had me "chasing my tail" for a day or so.

Under the heading of "wouldn't it be nice to have", I'd like to suggest:
- KM be made extender-aware, so that all keymoves can be done from one place, perhaps even integrating KM and ExtendCodeCalc functionality
- button names in both KM and ExtendedCodeCalc be user- programmable, like function names in KM,
- combining the functions of the Calculator and Breakdown pages of ExtendedCodeCalc on one page to avoid having to copy/paste between them,
- replacing the hex data in the HexCmd column on the IR Keymove page with a list of the corresponding buttons; (since IR uses the RDF file, I wouldn't expect this translation to be difficult); the hex data would still be available form the Keymove Edit dialog; this would significantly assist debug activity;
- if the information is available within the remotes, create another special protocol that would issue one set of commands and start the shift timer, and then issue another set of commands upon expiry of the timer; this would allow for shifting/restoring of a whole keyset or, indeed, all the keysets; and finally
-allow optional entry of a second instance of the Toadtog protocol to allow another 8 bits to be managed.

But, even without these "nice-to-haves", you guys have done a terrific job in developing these tools.

Thanks,
Don
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we establish that the URC-8911 is the Canadian version of the URC-8910, and is otherwise identical? I forget.
DGG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following is the response I received from OFA when I asked them the question:

"There is no difference between the URC8910 and URC8911. Or between the URC8810 and URC8811. They are marked differently simply for marketing purposes. Instructions, technology, codes, etc. are the same. Please include all original messages when you reply. Thank you.

Stephanie Young
Ofasupport@ueic.com
E-Services"
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Success with Extended 8911 Reply with quote

DGG wrote:
- KM be made extender-aware, so that all keymoves can be done from one place, perhaps even integrating KM and ExtendCodeCalc functionality

Key moves in KM are only supposed to allow the user to fill in the gaps that the default key maps have. When you talk about the advanced type of key moves that an extender requires (like a ToadTog), having KM do them becomes quite difficult (KM does NOT use the RDF's; instead the details are hard-coded within). However, if you really want to setup advanced key moves in KM, you can by using the direct hex entry feature on the Functions sheet.

Quote:
- button names in both KM and ExtendedCodeCalc be user-programmable, like function names in KM

Button names are fixed on the remote itself. Why would you want them programmable? I don't see any advantage to that. After all, Play (KM) is Play (IR) is Play (remote).

Quote:
- replacing the hex data in the HexCmd column on the IR Keymove page with a list of the corresponding buttons; (since IR uses the RDF file, I wouldn't expect this translation to be difficult); the hex data would still be available form the Keymove Edit dialog; this would significantly assist debug activity

Not all hex cmds represent button codes. I'll concede that it would be nice for IR to give you an option of specifying buttons for key moves similar to the way you can for macros.

Quote:
-allow optional entry of a second instance of the Toadtog protocol to allow another 8 bits to be managed.

I can't argue with this one. More toggle bits would be nice. I'd settle for a toggle that uses 2 bytes (one for the bit index, and one for the toggle state) followed by the command sequence.
DGG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick comments, Mark.

Re KM being extender-aware, I was thinking mainly of being able to use KM to put pure keymoves on the XS keys, so that all keymoves could be defined in one place, i.e. in KM with its printable key map. (This suggestion is driven by the second problem I experienced.) I appreciate that going further, such a specifying ToadTogs in KM, etc., is a big step - though, it seems logical since DSM's, D/LKPs and ToadTogs are device specific, as is KM. The latter was what I was referring to by potentially "integrating KM and ExtendCodeCalc functionality".

Re button names, the 8910 Extender RDF largely defines (and hence IR displays) real button names - which can be modified in the RDF. KM and ExtenderCodeCalc use standard button names - though the standards sometimes differ, e.g. RDF="HOME_THEATER", KM="Home Theater", ExtendcodeCalc="HT". Allowing users to override standard button names in the latter two tools would allow for consistent naming across all tools. But, admittedly, it's not a big deal; I'm just a fan of "if you mean the same thing, say the same thing."

Re hex data in IR, I wasn't suggesting that keymoves be entered like macros, though, I agree, that would be nice. (If it could, what then would be the need for ExtendCodeCalc?) All I was suggesting is that using the button data in the RDF, it should be possible to translate button codes in the hex data (generated by ExtendCodeCalc) to button names, thus aiding debug activity (or am I the only one who doesn't always get it right the first time). The only alternative, unless one has memorized the button codes, seems to be to go back and forth between IR and ExtenderCodeCalc.

Thanks again,
Don
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGG wrote:
Re KM being extender-aware, I was thinking mainly of being able to use KM to put pure keymoves on the XS keys, so that all keymoves could be defined in one place, i.e. in KM with its printable key map.

I'll give you partial credit on this one... it would make sense IF those buttons were going to be specific to the KM upgrade. The problem is, in my experience, that's not always the case. Many times, things like XS_ buttons are used much like phantoms are.

Keep in mind that the intent behind everything KM does is in regards to physically available buttons. It's not really intended for anything beyond that, though it has some workaround capabilities to do so.

Also remember that the tools have evolved as we have gained more knowledge about what these little gizmos can do. While there are dreams and desires of an all-inclusive integrated app to do all these wonderful things, it's still a long way away, so we make do with what we currently have.

Quote:
it seems logical since DSM's, D/LKPs and ToadTogs are device specific, as is KM.

I have to disagree with you here. Again, in my experience, things like ToadTogs are NOT device specific. Think about a ToadTog or DSM that's used to configure an "all power on" sequence. The settings will likely be referencing multiple commands across multiple devices (turn on TV; set input; turn on Rcvr; set input; turn on DVD; set transport, etc, etc, etc). All those special protocols are designed to cross the traditional device and key set boundaries, thus providing much better integration for the user.

Quote:
Re button names, the 8910 Extender RDF largely defines (and hence IR displays) real button names - which can be modified in the RDF. KM and ExtenderCodeCalc use standard button names - though the standards sometimes differ, e.g. RDF="HOME_THEATER", KM="Home Theater", ExtendcodeCalc="HT". Allowing users to override standard button names in the latter two tools would allow for consistent naming across all tools.

Like KM, the ExtCodeCalc doesn't use the RDF's, it's hard-coded. The easier solution (gives you 2 out of 3 anyway) is to modify the RDF from HOME_THEATER to "Home Theater". The latest RDFSpec allows quoted literals so that they may contain spaces. This way, IR and KM (and RM for that matter) can be kept in sync.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
an all-inclusive integrated app
I presume you'll have this finished and out of beta test by tomorrow morning, Mark? Razz
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
by tomorrow morning

It may take me until the afternoon. Can you wait that long? 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: