JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Denon Combo Protocol 0047 not Compatible with 8820
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

binky123 wrote:
No need to use a device key. A keymove can reference a device upgrade that is not assigned to a device button key.
So, all I need is to add the device upgrade to the remote, let's say "1234", and I can assign functions from device "1234" to buttons being used in device "7890"?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
Try this:
Open the upgrade file, select the 8820 remote, copy the upgrade code (ignoring the protocol error). Paste it into IR but before hitting the OK button, change the first byte from "47" to "9C". This will tell the upgrade to use the "official" protocol (which is built-in) with the "hacked" hex commands. If this works then we know that the "official" protocol entry isn't coded correctly.
I tried adding that upgrade, changing 47 to 9C before saving it to the remote. It didn't work with the device.

I also tried adding the HCS08 section to the Denon Combo 0047 protocol, and added it to the 8820 remote. That didn't work either.
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason that I think there is a problem with the Denon Combo (official) 9C protocol is that I learned a few commands, and viewed them in IR. If I enter the EFC into RM using the 9C protocol, it gives incorrect OBC and Hex codes, assuming the ones in IR are correct.

They match the ones I have listed in my upgrade file for a Denon 2805, which I tried with my 2116 on the Denon 3808 with success, so I will assume they are correct. I just want to be able to use my 8820 with the Denon.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a slight difference in the 009C protocol on the 8820. You have to remove the 33 61 bytes from the HCS08 protocol. Try this protocol upgrade:
Code:

Upgrade Protocol 0 = 00 47 (HCS08) Denon Combo Hacked
20 12 1F 4B 02 49 05 08 00 81 01 8B 00 81 03 9D
83 D6 5F B4 AE 03 3C A9 A6 05 01 60 08 BF
6A 55 76 35 74 AE 02 BF 7C BE 60 58 4B FD BF 62
3F 56 33 61 33 62 CD FF 5F 33 56 26 F5 CD FF 92
25 EE 81
End
garypen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try it. Thanks. In the mean time, I just used the built-in UEC code for Denon, and learned a few missing functions. It's been pretty decent like that. But, of course, I'd lprefer to program via JP1.

BTW, the reason I haven't responded is that I couldn't access the forum until today.
markdesmarais

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running into this same issue with my new 10820. . . did you ever resolve it? I've tried some of the suggestions, but I'm not really getting anywhere.

Thanks

Markd
garypen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned the commands directly to the 8820 from the Denon remote, as a temporary workaround. Unfortunately, IR.exe won't let me download from the 8820 after doing that.

My permanent fix was to buy a Harmony 550 from Amazon for $66. I'm tired of jumping through hoops with the JP1/JP1.x stuff. I'm looking forward to it being delivered.

In the future, I'll just use JP1 for my Slingboxes, and maybe the bedroom remotes. Otherwise, it'll be Harmony for my main HT remote.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please come back and file a report on how easy it was/is to set up your Harmony. I've never seen one in person, and know that in general, the experienced users here do not believe that it's programming is particularly easier or more flexible than that available for JP1, so I would be curious to hear a fresh PoV on the subject.

Also, what do you mean by "IR won't let you donwload" after learning to you 8820? What are the symptoms?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markdesmarais wrote:
I'm running into this same issue with my new 10820. . . did you ever resolve it? I've tried some of the suggestions, but I'm not really getting anywhere.

Thanks

Markd

Do you have more details? Upload your .IR file. I have a 10820 and can load it into my remote and then learn the signals to see if anything is wrong.

garypen wrote:
Unfortunately, IR.exe won't let me download from the 8820 after doing that.

IR.exe expects the learn section data to be in a certain format. If it has a bad format, it will have various problems. It's best to reset the learn area to all FF's and start new.

You may want to upload your original .IR file into the remote or do a SET-980 to reset the remote and clear out the learn section but retain upgrade codes.
markdesmarais

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got past the

Upgrade Protocol 0 = 00 47 (HCS08) Denon Combo (KM v9.12)
Code not available for this Remote...
End

in KM to get to an IR file. . .

I started with a Cinema 7, then an 8910, but this is my first JP1.x, and the first time I've had this kind of issue.

binky- I tried your last soln, about removing the 33 61 bytes. . . I take it I am supposed to do this to my Denon.txt file, before loading it into KM. . . or is that where I am going wrong? I got the same error when I tried it.

Thanks for the help!

Markd

ps- I was thinking about the Harmony route too- I wish they would let you mess around with configuring a remote on their site BEFORE buying one to figure out if it will work for you!
garypen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markdesmarais wrote:
ps- I was thinking about the Harmony route too- I wish they would let you mess around with configuring a remote on their site BEFORE buying one to figure out if it will work for you!
I did my research, and it appears it will work just fine. And, any codes it doesn't have in its database can be learned. (Of course, I can learn to the 8820 too. But now IR won't download from it.)

The Harmony software apparently makes it a piece of cake to set up complex macros (they call them "activities"). I'm looking quite forward to it.

I'll post my almost-new 8820 and JP1.2 serial cable in the classified forum once I get the Harmony setup, if anyone is interested.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markdesmarais wrote:

binky- I tried your last soln, about removing the 33 61 bytes. . . I take it I am supposed to do this to my Denon.txt file, before loading it into KM. . . or is that where I am going wrong? I got the same error when I tried it.

Thanks for the help!

Markd

The Denon AVR-2805.txt file does NOT have the HCS08 protocol version. I can add it in if you verify it works. If it works, I would paste it into the Notes: section of the KM file. It would then appear whenever a HCS08 remote is chosen within KM.

You can take your Device Upgrade and paste it into IR and then paste the above Upgrade Protocol into IR's Protocol tabsheet. I have already removed the 33 61 bytes from the protocol.
markdesmarais

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks binky, I will give that a try tonight!
garypen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

binky123 wrote:
You can take your Device Upgrade and paste it into IR and then paste the above Upgrade Protocol into IR's Protocol tabsheet. I have already removed the 33 61 bytes from the protocol.
I believe I tried that, but it didn't work.

Mark - Please post back if it works for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: