JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any programmable remotes under $100 to control 5 devices ins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sofakng

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Any programmable remotes under $100 to control 5 devices ins Reply with quote

I'm currently using a RadioShack 15-2117 remote control that has an RF base station that blasts IR. However, I have the base station on one side of my room, and I must leave the cabinet open so that the base station blasts IR to ALL devices.

I need a remote control that I can hookup 5 (or more) IR blasters to each device.

I also want the remote control to respond VERY quickly via wireless (RF or whatever). Finally, it would be really nice if the remote could be programmed with macros or other advanced features like JP1 programming.

I really can't afford more than $100 and I don't care about a fancy LCD screen. A simple one-line LCD screen and all rubber/plastic buttons are fine with me.

Thanks for your help!
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to do this would be to use an IR repeater of some kind, independent of the remote that you use.

The repeater has its IR receiver somewhere outside of your cabinet and then can drive any number of blasters that are stuck to the front of all of the devices.

Then you use a cheap JP1 remote so that you can do all of the fun programming that we do here!
sofakng

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I currently have a RadioShack 15-2117 with has an RF command station but it's slow as heck.

However, the remote control itself is really slow. If I press a button several times it will only send out a couple of RF signals. It's also really slow to respond from when I press a button until the time it gets to the device.

I think I only paid $20 for it though when it was on clearance. It's amazing that the cheapest IR/RF PC programmable remotes are now $200+.

The IR repeater is a neat idea, but may not work for my dedicated home theater room... (unless it had two wireless parts... [a wireless receiver where I am the remote at and a wireless transmitter which gets a wireless signal from the receiver])

*sigh*
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for distance.....

Homecontrols.com (I think that is it) has a system where you have a receiver in one spot, that modulates the IR onto an RG59 coax (can be the one with video on it) and then a separator that takes it off and can have IR blasters connected to it.

I use this for my DishPVR 721 that is in my basement connected by the RG6 in my house to the TV in my bedroom and it works perfect. This keeps the PVR disk where I don't have to hear it when it wakes up in the middle of the night to download the program guide.

-bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: