JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 15-2116 signal transmission length too short

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivarey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: RS 15-2116 signal transmission length too short Reply with quote

Hello everyone... after spending the better part of yesterday learning about JP1 and setting up my new RS 15-2116 with my equipment, I've hit a very frustrating roadblock. My television (0054 Philips Magnavox) doesn't respond to the power command in macros - which pretty much kills all macros. I think the signal transmission length is too short (or weak), since the power button will work if I manually press it and hold it a bit longer than other buttons. I previously owned the Sony RM-VL900 (non-JP1) and had no macro problems.

Is there anything I can do to fix this without treading into extender territory? I'd hate to lose all that functionality. If not, I'll probably just take the remote back and pick up a new remote that will work well with my RTV (suggestions?).

Thanks in advance.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: RS 15-2116 signal transmission length too short Reply with quote

vivarey wrote:
Is there anything I can do to fix this without treading into extender territory? I'd hate to lose all that functionality.
Actually the reverse. Extenders give you more functionality (toadtog, long/short keypresses, delays, etc)

I think you are referencing the fact that extenders kill learning. You can uninstall the extender, learn stuff, then go back and reinstall the extender if you like. (Or just keep a cheapo $19 wal-mart 8810w in a drawer for learning purposes.)

Somewhere I think I read that you can adjust the duration of signals with the device combiner protocol. Mark? or other experts?
JP1Files
vivarey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: RS 15-2116 signal transmission length too short Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
Actually the reverse. Extenders give you more functionality (toadtog, long/short keypresses, delays, etc)

Thanks for the reply. I should have been more clear in my original post - what I meant my losing functionality is that I'd hate to not be able to use macros because of this problem. As far as not wanting to use extenders... they are just too intimidating for me right now. Wink
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a little strange. Extenders generally make macros run faster (shorter pauses between signals). I have a Magnavox that uses TV_0054 and with a stock remote has never failed to turn on/off the tv from a macro. If it's the last step in the macro and the macro is fairly long, maybe you're turning the remote away a little too soon, ie before the macro finished? I don't think the 2116 sends a shorter power signal than most other models using TV_0054. have you tried creating your own TV_0054 with KM or RM and seeing if it works any better?

Jim
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the KeymapMaster zip file there is a file called "keymap-master-protocols.txt" that discusses how to use the device combiner protocol. Part of the protocol allows you to adjust the duration of the signal. Here is an excerpt from this sacred tome:
Mark and Rob wrote:
Device Combiner (2-byte):
-------------------------
The Device Combiner allows you to combine up to 16 different
protocols into one Device Upgrade for S3C8 and P8/740 remotes. It
is available as a Beta version for M6805 remotes.
There is also an optional Duration Control setting that can be
used for each function
, however, at this time it is only available
for S3C8 remotes.
Good Luck,
JP1Files
vivarey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
With the KeymapMaster zip file there is a file called "keymap-master-protocols.txt" that discusses how to use the device combiner protocol. Part of the protocol allows you to adjust the duration of the signal. Here is an excerpt from this sacred tome:
Mark and Rob wrote:
Device Combiner (2-byte):
-------------------------
The Device Combiner allows you to combine up to 16 different
protocols into one Device Upgrade for S3C8 and P8/740 remotes. It
is available as a Beta version for M6805 remotes.
There is also an optional Duration Control setting that can be
used for each function
, however, at this time it is only available
for S3C8 remotes.
Good Luck,

Thanks Steve... I read the doc and I've been trying to wrap my brain around it, but it's just over my head right now. Ugh... this can really be frustrating! Confused
vivarey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
have you tried creating your own TV_0054 with KM or RM and seeing if it works any better?

Jim

I tried that, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I even tried using the discrete ON and OFF codes found here:

http://hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?TV_0054

But I couldn't get them working.
wwwoholic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: RS 15-2116 signal transmission length too short Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
Somewhere I think I read that you can adjust the duration of signals with the device combiner protocol.

That somewhere could have been here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=730

also:
wwwoholic wrote:
The workaround that worked for me was to create device upgrade using Device Combiner protocol with DishPlayer inside. Delay value of 3-4 was enough to make buttons work reliable in macro. You do not have to put all keys into upgrade, just those used in macro (Power in my case).

Protocol help in KM explains using DC in details, I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: