JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

pioneer receiver help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanzibuz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: pioneer receiver help Reply with quote

Hello,

I have just gotten a 8810 remote for christmas and i have had lots of fun setting it up over the last few days. I have gotten everything in my entertianment system setup appropriately except for my receiver.

I have a Pioneer VSX-D906S receiver. The manual for the remote lists code 1023 to control this device. However this code only has two useful functions, volume up and volume down. all of the other keys are mapped to nonrelevant functions.

So a trick that I used for my other devices was to use the learning feature on the remote, then I could look at the data in IR and determine what EFC was actually used for each signal. For instance the remote does not have the proper fast forward and rewind buttons preprogrammed in for my DVD player, so I used the learning feature to find the EFC that was sent from the original remote. I then used a KeyMove to define the function to the proper buttons on my new remote. I tried to use this same trick for my receiver, but i couldnt get any codes to work.

For instance, if I learn the DVD button from my receiver's original remote on the 8810, IR reports the following data:
Protocol: Pioneer
Device: 165
Subdevice:
OBC: 133
Hex Cmd: 5E
EFC:192

So to use the same trick that worked before, I tried making a keymove to define L1 with EFC 192 using audio code 1023. Unfortunately this did not work. I could not turn any of these learned commands into keymoves. nothing happened at all when I pressed the keys, even though I know that i am sending the proper EFC to the receiver.

So I then found the Pioneer-Master-List.txt over in the audio files section of the JP1 yahoo group. I used this in the keymap-master-v8.06.xls file to generate the code that I can upgrade my remote with. I copied the hex data into the device tab of IR and it setup a new audio device with code of 2004.

Using this program I got support for nearly every key. Everything but the DVD and stereo audio commands work. Although I could get by without the stereo mode button, DVD is a necessity.

So I thought that I might be able to use a keymove to work with this new device. I setup a keymove to map L1 to EFC 192, with the audio device code of 2004. I got the same results as before, the receiver did not notice that any key had been pressed at all. It does not recognize this as a valid command.

So right now I have learned these two functions into the remote, and that works for a temporary fix. I would like to start using the extender program, i have read that it will allow you to setup macros with the device keys. I would eventually like to get it so that if you press the DVD button, the TV, DVD and receiver turn on, tv goes to channel 4, receiver switches to DVD mode. However to my understanding I cannot use the learned commands in extender, everything must be a keymap or a device code. So to get the macros like I want, i would have to reprogram these learned keys as keymovers, or even better somehow figure out how to get the commands from the Pioneer-Master-List.txt. I dont know how to do this.

Sorry if this is long, but I am at a loss to figure out what i should do next. Did I miss something? Can anyone help me determine how to get a keymover to make my receiver goto DVD mode?

Thanks in advance,

Garth
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it would not be a lot of trouble, could you upload a zip file to the diagnostic folder including your KM.txt file, and both IR.txt files:
--the one with the stereo and dvd as keymoves that did not work, and
--the one with the stereo and dvd as learned codes that did work.

HNY,
JP1Files
zanzibuz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im new at this, and im not quite sure what you mean by the KM.txt file. Is that the Pioneer-Master-List.txt file that I used with Keymap-Master to generate my upgrade code?
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's a SAVED KM file. .txt vs. .xls je wants to see a copy of the KM .txt saved file you made for the Pioneer device.

Jim
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In KM on the front page are two big buttons, LOAD and SAVE. use the SAVE button to save your KM file - it will be saved as a small text file, which I can then LOAD after I fetch it from yahoo jp1 diagnostic folder.

(as opposed to IR in which you do a file/save from the drop down list to save your eeprom image as a text file.)
zanzibuz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uploaded my configuration files.

One thing I noticed this time around that I did not notice before is that the stereo button actually has two EFCs associated with the one button press. I dont know how to assign a keymover to do both of these button presses. So lets not worry about that one right now, the solution to the other DVD button will be the solution to this one too, i bet. And i can live without the stereo button without much trouble.

The file is named "garths config files.zip", its over in the yahoo groups files/diagnosis area. The zip file contains three files:

"KM.txt" is the file that the keymap-master program saves.
"learned codes that work.txt" is the file that has the DVD code as a learned code. this configuration works fine, other than the fact that it uses learned codes.
"keymover that doesnt work.txt" this moves the DVD code from a learned code to a keymover. The EFC is the same, but it doesnt work and I dont know why.

Thanks for the help!

Garth
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zanzibuz wrote:
One thing I noticed this time around that I did not notice before is that the stereo button actually has two EFCs associated with the one button press.
Try this: learn 5 keypresses of the OEM stereo key to buttons 1-5, and learn 5 keypresses of the OEM dvd key to buttons 6-0, and see what EFCs you get.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite common for Pioneer signals to contain two different EFC numbers (usually with two different device numbers) in one command.

Each of the various Pioneer Protocols in KM supports some form of compound command. Each has some tricky limits on what compound commands it supports. I never remember which is which, but I think KM includes documentation to tell you.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, when building device upgrades for the pioneer protocols you usually have better luck making your upgrades in OBC mode.

Jim
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure why, but on your KM spreadsheet, there are two entries for DVD: one is on line 58 and on line 95. You want the one from line 95. I'm still looking at the files but have to go run errands with the wife.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, go and download 00_GARTH.ZIP from the diagnostics folder and let me know if it works.
zanzibuz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
Im not sure why, but on your KM spreadsheet, there are two entries for DVD: one is on line 58 and on line 95. You want the one from line 95. I'm still looking at the files but have to go run errands with the wife.

Yes, I now notice that too. That is exactly how they are found on the Pioneer-Master-List.txt file, there are two DVD codes.

Because you noticed htis I fixed the problem. Here's how:

I thought that I would assign the first instance of DVD on line 58 to key 0, and the second instancd of DVD on line 95 to key 1, just to check them both out. I then got the hex code to copy into IR, and I noticed that the code mapped both key 0 and key 1 to the exact same hex commands. Both of them were mapped to the first instance of DVD on line 58, even though I had mapped DVD line 95 to key 1.

So I changed the identification string to line 95 to "input:DVD", so that way the two lines have a different identifier. I got the hex code and pasted it into IR and found that keys 0 and 1 were mapped to different hex values.

and to make things even nicer, the line 95 DVD worked!

I know that I had selected both of these before I posted, and I assumed that the program would know that they were two different commands that just happened to be named the same thing. Apparantly KM does not realize this, and it got confused by these two commands with the same name. Changing the name fixed this!

I am much happier now! I can now start reading up on extender!

Thanks for your help!

Garth
zanzibuz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the Pioneer-Master-List.txt file should be changed, so that the two lines do not have the same name. I know that there has to be somebody else out there besides me who has this very same problem. Can I request that it be updated? Who should I talk to about this?

Garth
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad it is working now.

This is a nice design to set up your extender. (It looks harder than it really is.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: