JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help with the concept of macros... (newbie question)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sofakng

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Need help with the concept of macros... (newbie question) Reply with quote

Please tell me if I'm understanding this correctly:

A macro is bound to a key on the remote. Whenever that key is pressed, REGARDLESS OF THE CURRENT MODE, the macro will be executed.

Is that right?

Does that mean I can't put a macro on the Power button because it will effectively remove the power button from every device on the remote? (eg. I mean, regardless of the mode I'm in, the Power macro will be executed instead of the device-specific power command)

I'm trying to setup macros like this:

SAT: Power = Discrete TV on, Discrete Satellite on, Discrete receiver on, Set receiver to input "TV/SAT".

DVD: Power = Discrete TV on, Discrete XBOX-360 on, Discrete receceiver on, Set receiver to input "DVD/LD".

How would I do this so that the correct macro is executed for the currently selected device?

(By the way, I have a Radioshack 15-2117 remote and I've been using the unextended and extender3 configs)

Thanks for any help...
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer 1: extender 3 for the 2117 has device specific macros (DSM) so you can do what you want, but that requires 2 key presses, first the device and second the power button.

Answer 2: a lot of people put those macros on the device key so that pressing the device key sets up everything for using that device. This means you can do the device select/setup with one key press.
sofakng

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

It does sound useful to set everything up while pressing the device selection button, but that leaves two problems:

1) How do you turn it off? (shift-device button?)
2) If you don't have all discrete codes this won't work, and sometimes you just want to select the device without anything fancy happening.

I'll take a look at the device specific macros function of the extender 3. That sounds REALLY useful!
sofakng

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one more question...

I'm using custom names on the LCD (another features of the 15-2117 extender) but when I press a button it displays the actual device and device code while the button is held down. Once I release the button it returns to my custom name.

Can I have it ALWAYS display my custom name, even when I'm holding down buttons?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sofakng,
I assume by 'how do you turn it off' you mean turn off the device?
On the Power button you can can code power toggle as a short press, and several (all) devices off on a long press. Just use shift-power to avoig infinite loop when you code the commands that go on the power button.

To select device without anything fancy,
If unextended remote, code your sequence on shift-device.

If you could use an extender, it'll be simpler (after a long learning curve)
short press - select device with nothing else, just assign the keys
long press - the sequence of commands you want to run, as you've described

If no discrete codes exist, you will need to manufacture them using the ToadTog protocol.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Cusstom Mode name - no you cannot affect how the remote behaves. Does it really matter what is displayed WHILE the remote is transmitting? It seems to me more important in the rest state for you to know what mode it's in. I've used Custom Mode Name for years and have never found that behaviour to be a hindrance in any way.

As for the macros, it's better is you ask what you want to accomplish overall, rather than asking HOW to accomplish in a particular way.

Many extender users use the following basic structure:

(1) First use ToadTog to create "discrete" On and OFF for those components that do not naturally have codes for those functions:
(2) Use LKPs on the device buttons to (a) do a complete system startup/setup for either short or long press, and to (b) select the associated device mode for the alternate (long or short); and
(3) Use an LKP (or DSMs) on the Power button to provide system "OFF" macro and/or individual device "OFF" signals.

So it's really up to you how you want to structure it, but I recommend experimenting with ToadTog, LKP and DSM Special Protocols to figure out what the possibilities are.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: