JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro Ideas?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IBNobody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Macro Ideas? Reply with quote

I'm looking for some macro ideas to increase the functionality of my remotes.

The only macros I've used were for system setup. (Turn everything on, turn the TV and receiver to the correct input for the currently selected device, etc.)

What other macros do people use other than for setup?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always interested in this kind of post too. Most of my macros are pretty much doing the repetitive tasks associated with day to day operation of my overly complicated set up, but one of my favorites was my 'smart mute' which automatically turns on CC and mutes the TV as well as the receiver. My CC function is buried so deep in the TV menu, and used so infrequently that we never used it, because by the time we found it we were ready to unmute the tv. Mad

I see that you are realitively new to the forum. Have you made the most out of keymoves as well? One of the very best tricks I learned here was keymoving TV power to most of my power buttons, and then keymoving the regular power to the ShiftPower. This stops people from turning off the satelite box while I'm recording, and stops people from turning off my recorder right in the middle of recording. So if I really want to turn off these devices I have to hit ShiftPower. This has probably saved my husbands life, Laughing .

And then there is the LKP and nested macros that come in so handy.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) One of my TVs requires an arcane sequence of steps to dig down to the menu which changes aspect ratio. One macro gives me one-button aspect switch;
(2) Similarly, I had a PVR that required a series of menu navigations to get to either the (a) channnel listing, or (b) record setup screen; or (c) list of recorded programs.
I created a macro for each circumstance to ease access to these screens;
(3) The same PVR had no commercial skip function, so I created a macro using a sereis of FWD's to get to top speed, a few Pauses (JP1 pauses, not playback device Pauses), and then a Play to tweak in 30 sec, 2-minute, and 5-minute skip ahead macros.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
jimdunn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
(3) The same PVR had no commercial skip function, so I created a macro using a sereis of FWD's to get to top speed, a few Pauses (JP1 pauses, not playback device Pauses), and then a Play to tweak in 30 sec, 2-minute, and 5-minute skip ahead macros.

Yeah, ditto...

and isn't it just the greatest fun you've ever had trying to get one press of the button to equal the length of the commercial break in your wife's favourite soap ?

I was a helpless ball of laughter when she told me it could "do with being a couple of seconds shorter, usually... except sometimes it jumps just too far"

Reduced to tears ? - not this bloke Very Happy
IBNobody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to try that commercial skip macro out... It will be a good way to cut my teeth on the pause protocol.

But aside from that, it sounds like most of the macros are used to drill down into a device's settings.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimdunn wrote:
[(JP1 pauses, not playback device Pauses)

I used only ffwd (x4) - up arrow x 3 (or 4 or 5)(which has no effect with my device in this state - but slows the remote down) - and play.

I'm not using an extender, and because it worked as described I didn't bother with the well documented pause (on fake device) tricks...
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have macros on my 8820 (using extender) to set up device keys, change input etc. as is common. I also have DKPs on certain keys like:

"guide" as I almost always use the PVR EPG top see what is on tonight/this week; a single press operates guide for the device mode that it is currently in (be it DVD, SAT box or whatever) and a double-press changes to PVR and displays its EPG.

"cc" I use to see what shows I have recorded and, again, a single press of this operates the current device and a double switches to PVR archives.

I tend to use F.REW for "text" (UK television) and F.FWD for access to subtitle menus. Since each device has different menus I place a DSM (Device-Specific Macro) on the F.FWD key and have it call a LKP. Short press access the menu (you never know, I might want Gaelic or Welsh subtitles where available) and long press drills down through the menu structures to reach English subtitles.

Next macro is a "get-out-of-jail" one whereby SWMBO can point the remote in the general direction of the TV and a long press of a specific key takes her to her favourite setup (BBC1 on Freeview digital box, TV on AV1 input).

Other macros are just for laziness's sake such as changing TV to station 1, calling up text and selecting news page (p104) which is something I only do once a day (if the kids haven't got up and usurped the TV first).
beverlyhoward

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toggling the Aspect Ratio on an Optoma Projector

For some unknown reason, Optoma elected to omit an "Aspect Ratio Toggle" button for the 719 which all other projectors I have worked with to date have on the remote.

It takes 11 commands to open the menu, navigate to the aspect ratio setting, toggle it, then exit the menu... (only seven if you use "up arrow" to get to the bottom of the menu where the setting is located Wink)

It takes several seconds for the macro to execute and clear the onscreen menu, but at least it's only a single button press.

I also use macros on several device buttons so that when the device button is pressed, the pioneer amp/switch toggles to the appropriate input setting before selecting the desired device.

The other macros are pretty generic power up's or down's... one is to X10 specific lights on and off for viewing.

Beverly Howard
irs009

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is to use the 'FAV' button on an extended 8910 to toggle my volume control between TV and Receiver. I've got the best of two worlds with one button push.

Jack
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKP on the "Swap" key causes the DVD recorder to open its drawer to either spit out or receive a new DVD. Also changes device, powers on DVDR and sets TV inputs. Single press, naturally, just does native device function. Kids (9,7) can work this feature. Kid (3) knows Swap opens the drawer but is impatient, presses key twice and it has the desired result usually.

Accidental single press not a great problem; the only time I could think of that it might matter would be if I was in VCR mode and VCR was recording but a)I think the VCR only responds to Swap if it is currently playing a tape and b)I don't reocrd onto VCR any more (I have PVR and DVDR for that).

I just picked up a cheap LCD TV for bedroom and think I'll add DKP on the Format key to set aspect ratio to "Cinema" or to change it back to normal.

I have 3 8820's all set up the same now to control 13 devices in 4 rooms (one device is usually linked via an AV sender from one room to another).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good remote design should be really intuitive. One of the best macros I have I learned from ElizabethD. With an Extender and an LKP, she placed a macro on each of the Device Keys.

After a normal press of the SAT button, I can control the satelite functions, but if I hold the SAT button down, it changes the input source on the TV to Sat. That is the most intuitive macro use I've found.

So if I want to watch a DVD, I hold down the DVD button and everything gets setup for DVD viewing. If I want to switch to VCR, press and hold the VCR button.

I haven't had to tell anyone that more than once. That is a very good use of macros. My old system, constantly generated questions. With this system, there is no confustion at all.
greenough1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use that macro/LKP setup also and I agree it's fantastic!

In my house though, I still get questions from my wife... her issue, though, is she'll come into the room, pick up the remote when the TV's already on and she won't know which "device" is setup (pressing INFO for any device displays what input the TV's on so she'll see ANT == straight RF input from cable system, DTV == CBL/DVR HD setup, or INPUT1 == CBL/DVR for non-HD setup). I keep telling her the question shouldn't be what's in, but rather what do you want it to be on, then "press and hold" that button.

A side note, my 7 and 10 year olds both get it. The only key they forget about is how to eject the DVD tray. I put that on REC for the DVD device. Since they're usually near the play getting the DVD that they want to play, pressing the eject button isn't unreasonable either.

Best,
jeff
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put every sound input to the receiver on the 8910 FAV key, so we can surf the sound round and round while the TV is on in order to check if some other things are better, like other radio stations or secondary audio behind public TV.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greenough1 wrote:
A side note, my 7 and 10 year olds both get it. The only key they forget about is how to eject the DVD tray.

That's why I chose Swap (on the 8910 and on the 8820). Kids of that age make good macro substitutes, though, as you can just tell them to change channel for you, go get another beer from the fridge etc. (something even Capntrips' macro's can't do yet according to his sig. Wink ).

So, it would seem that most popular macros are on the device keys to set up device, coupled with switching AV inputs and maybe power-on for that device. Next seems to be changing formats or drilling down through complex menus and then it's selecting sound sources etc. Good to hear about all these ideas.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the house we just sold, I had a seperate stereo receiver that drove outdoor speakers on our deck and speakers out in the garage. I used the Home Theater key to toggle between Indoor and Outdoor mode. In indoor mode, the remote functioned the normal way that a lot of people program (LKP of device key to set up inputs, etc.) and controlled the receiver in our family room.

In outdoor mode, I wanted to simplify things since none of the equipment is visible from outside, so I made a short key press set up everything for CD, RECV (tuner), AUX (iPod dock), DVD and SAT. This way, all the normal LKPs were disabled, as well as all the other devices that should not be accessible from outside (TV, Lutron dimmer, family room receiver, etc.).

Also, since I have two Sony 300-disc players, I use the CD device key to toggle between control of the two players, so I don't have to have a seperate device key for both. Using custom mode name ("SONY CD-1" and SONY CD-2" makes it easy to keep both straight.

I also programmed the remote (URC-9910) to turn off the lights when I push play in DVD mode, turn the lights up to a dim level when I push pause or menu, and turn the lights all the way on when I hit stop or execute a LKP setup macro for a different device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: