JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another Newbie Question -Need remote for uncommon components
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulcalif wrote:
I just finished making a connector, wish me luck

Wouldn't it have been better to ask for the luck before you built the connector? But good luck anyway! Smile
paulcalif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the cable works! (got lucky) Came out pretty nice if I don't say so myself. I got IR installed, downloaded the info from my remote to the program. I've been reading the beginners guide, but it seems like it's based on an earlier version of the program. Are there any other walk throughs? If not, this one is similar enough that I think I can figure it out.

Thanks for the tip on being able to program any of the keys, that should help.

The codes that I have entered as as follows.
TV = 0000
VCR = 0067
DVD = 0623
CD = 0072
RCVR = 0074
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulcalif wrote:
.. but it seems like it's based on an earlier version of the program. Are there any other walk throughs?
uh, no.

if you need any help creating device upgrades in KM (or RM) let us know...
paulcalif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I know that I can use other buttons for learning, I have been making a lot of progress. The Cable box is done. The Receiver is almost done but the remote is having a hard time learning some of the commands. I'm wondering if the batteries could be going bad or if the memory is getting full. Ambient light doesn't seem to make any difference. Any thoughts on that?

I have been using the IR program to backup my progress.

Is there a way to tell if the memory is getting full?

Also, when looking at Learned Signals I get the following warning even though the signal seems to work correctly.

Part of this signal is sent after the button is released. While this could be correct, it may indicate that the signal was not learned optimally. It is recommended that you attempt to re-learn the signal at least once, being sure not to release the button until the remote's LED flashes twice.

Is that normal?
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulcalif wrote:
The Receiver is almost done but the remote is having a hard time learning some of the commands. I'm wondering if the batteries could be going bad or if the memory is getting full. Ambient light doesn't seem to make any difference. Any thoughts on that?

I have been using the IR program to backup my progress.

That's a very good idea.

paulcalif wrote:
Is there a way to tell if the memory is getting full?

When the learned memory gets totally full you will get a single long flash of the led instead of the two short flashes.

paulcalif wrote:

Also, when looking at Learned Signals I get the following warning even though the signal seems to work correctly.

Is that normal?

It's usually a symptom of a sub-optimal learn. You should try with new batteries in both remotes as learning requires a stronger signal from the oem remote than is needed to operate the device.

If it persists with new batteries in both remotes, then it might be a strange protocol that the UEI learning logic has trouble with (UEI is the company that makes all JP1able remotes). In this case post your IR saved file in the diagnosis area on Yahoo. (if you aren't a member you'll have to join the group first).
paulcalif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting a single long flash so I am assuming the memory is full. If that's the case, and I still need to add more, is there a way to use the IR program to move things around and make more space?

I'm guessing that I may be able to use the Key-Map Master spreadsheet with the IR program somehow, but before I deleve into it more I'd like to know that it's possible.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulcalif wrote:
memory is full. If that's the case, and I still need to add more, is there a way to use the IR program to move things around and make more space?

Upgrades, KeyMoves, and Learned signals each use a different part of the eeprom memory, so learned signal memory may be full, but you have plenty of room for upgrades, and probably room for KeyMoves.

The first step is getting your existing learned signals decoded. If you're having trouble with that, you can post a saved eeprom image (from IR.EXE's file/save command) to the Yahoo JP1 diagnosis folder.

The decode consists of a protocol name, a device number, sometimes a subdevice number, and an OBC number. If you have those, post them in a message here for more specific instructions.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
Remember, now that you're a JP1-er, you're only using the learning to see what codes the signals use, after that you'll be creating upgrades to replace the learned signals. So, each time the memory gets full, do an IR.exe download, then reset the remote and carry on.
paulcalif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting over now, boy do I feel like an idiot. I have been reading version 1 of the beginners guide! In looking at the screen shots of rev 1.1, they appear to match the current version of IR. As I'm typing, I'm wondering if I have the most recent version of IR etc.

This should go a long way toward giving me a better understanding of JP1.

Thanks for the help!!
paulcalif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partial success. I was able to create an Upgrade code for my Global Cable box. BUT (and there is always a but) the one I created for my Liteon DVD 2002 player doesn't work. The remote learned everything ok, but IR lists a Sub-Device. I thought I read that KM has had the ability to add a sub-device removed. Is that the case? Could that be my problem? Is there a work around? Should this be a new thread?
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulcalif wrote:
the one I created for my Liteon DVD 2002 player doesn't work.
Take the IR.txt file with the learned codes in it, and ZIP it with the IR.txt file that does not work, and put the ZIP file in the diagnostics folder. Someone (everyone, probably Smile ) will help you.
paulcalif wrote:
I thought I read that KM has had the ability to add a sub-device removed. Is that the case?
No. What you read was that the panasonic vcr combo protocol, which only uses 4 special cases, had the ability to specify those four special cases removed, which was a good thing. The four special cases are still there for you to reference, just you can't change them in that specific protocol.

Waiting for your ZIP file, Smile
JP1Files
paulcalif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I went back to KM, closed it, then opened it again and the sub-device option was there. Now it works and I can go to bed!!

Thanks everyone, this is really pretty cool stuff!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: