JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is the forum OK?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Is the forum OK? Reply with quote

Haven't seen any new posts in a couple of days.......
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the following URL to see all the threads that have had activity over the last 2 days...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/search.php?mode=results&search_author=%2A&search_time=2
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Guess it is just extra slow (little activity ) for some reason.......
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Thank you for that link!!!!!!! I do my JP1.x development on a laptop, but I do my interneting on my desktop. Occasionally I need to download things on my laptop and then miss out on reading the rest of the "new posts" I'm so happy that I now have a way to see what's new without going back into each topic. That was extremely helpful to me.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs, I use a link just like that every day. You can change the last digit of the URL to how ever many days back you want to go. (And just FYI, %2A in the URL is really an asterisk *, but the forum software wouldn't make it a clickable link, so I had to convert it to hex).
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, do a Search and stick an asterisk in the Author field and then pick a time-frame under "search Previous".
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, but doing that doesn't give you a URL that you can bookmark, so I figured out what parms were needed and I generated the URL that I posted.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but some of us have way too many bookmarks as it is for functions that we don't use frequently.

Low activity from UK members may be due to local holidays; I have been in the middle of a forest for the past 4 days, here, new baby notwithstanding. Has this been a vacation weekend in the US?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last holiday over here was Labo(u)r Day which was in the beginning of the month.

I like that map site, here's where I'm from...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?Postcode2Map?code=cr0+8da
jimdunn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that's a pretty cool map site, Smile let's all play:

Here's where I was born: Crumpsall, Manchester

But I lived around Croydon for about 8 years as well, Rob - so your map woke a few memories.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever frequent Beanos, the second hand record shop on Crown Hill? As a kid, I used to live there!
jimdunn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Did you ever frequent Beanos, the second hand record shop on Crown Hill? As a kid, I used to live there!

Absolutely Very Happy

I feel sorry for my daughter and her generation that they will never understand the joy of searching through musty old vinyl for a scratched copy of 2 songs, one on each side of a 7 inch disc.

I had special cardboard sleeves with polythene inserts which I used to use to store my acquisitions - after labelling in black biro underlined in red.

I seem to remember being especially pleased with getting a used copy of "Dancing Queen" by Abba from there...

For some reason I'm not sure I should have said that

Rolling Eyes

edited: when I noticed Rob's initial reference was already a link to Beanos - removed my superfluous additional link - damn that subtle blue colo(u)r...

Last edited by jimdunn on Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:46 am; edited 3 times in total
jimdunn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you old enough to discover "Cinatras" night club before you left - or were you spared that ?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I've been to Sinatras, and the Office, Goodies, the Underground, etc. I can't tell you how many bands I got to see at the Underground, some of the names that come to mind include Eddie and the Hot Rods, Sweet, Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Captain Sensible, We've Got A Fuzzbox and We're Gonna Use It and Divine. I used to work for British Gas on Catherine Street and we used to pile down to Goodies after work alot, so I was definitely a regular there.

Wasn't Sinatra the nightclub in the basement of the Croydon Greyhound pub? I don't think I went there as much, but I definitely was there a few times.

What was the name of the nightclub on Crown Hill? They used to let the alternative crowd in on Thursday nights, so that's when I used to go.

Back to Beanos, I've only visited their current location once when I was visiting, so all of my childhood visits where to their old location (which was just around the corner). They had LPs downstairs and 45s upstairs. I used to do alot of "dumpster diving" in their cheap bins. Upstairs they had this huge rack of 45s which were "20 for £1", so I bought a ton of those. Generally, this section had scratchy copies of popular 45s and good copies of not-so-popular 45s. But none the less, I was able to build up my collection of Sweet, Slade, Gary Glitter, etc from that rack. Downstairs they had a junk bin for LPs where they put these stickers on them that had 20p, 40p, 80, £1 prices listed. When they first added LPs to this bin they would be £1, then after a week they would cut the ones that were left to 80p, then 40p, then 20p. I remember picking up an un-labelled copy of the Sex Pistols "Spunk" bootleg for 10p because they didn't know what it was. I remember noticing the matrix number on the run out groove and thinking that it sounded familiar, so I bought it not knowing what it was, so I was quite pleased when I played it and discovered what I had found.

I just read on the Beanos web site that they almost had to close down, so I Googled the story. It's a sad part of life that as technology changes, some businesses will go under. Back in the day, I used to live in record shops, but I can't tell you the last time that I was in one, not now that you can buy CDs online, and of course to the younger generation even that is outdated as they will just download everything.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Yup, I've been to Sinatras, and the Office, Goodies, the Underground, etc.

Wow, I remember all of those places - Goodies I used to drink in a fair bit.

One of our favourite things to do around Croydon was to drive out into the country to a pub near New Addington, I think, called the "White Bear".

The Robman wrote:
Wasn't Sinatra the nightclub in the basement of the Croydon Greyhound pub? I don't think I went there as much, but I definitely was there a few times.

Can't remember the pub name - but it sounds right - it was definitely a basement (had a bit of a ""grab a granny" reputation)

The Robman wrote:
What was the name of the nightclub on Crown Hill? They used to let the alternative crowd in on Thursday nights, so that's when I used to go.

I can't remember - it was 20 years ago Crying or Very sad

The Robman wrote:
Back in the day, I used to live in record shops, but I can't tell you the last time that I was in one, not now that you can buy CDs online, and of course to the younger generation even that is outdated as they will just download everything.

Yeah - memories they'll never have ...
Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Web Site Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: