JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Alternative to a M74HC266 when making a JP1 interface?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRXBoy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Alternative to a M74HC266 when making a JP1 interface? Reply with quote

Hi There from Australia,

I have been using the simple interface, diode, resistor and Parallel port setup successfully for a few years upgrading URC-7562 remotes for family and friends.

I have upgraded my own remote to a URC-8910 and am now experiencing communications issues when using the simple interface.

Using the previously documented workarounds by reversing one of the batteries to simulate a lower voltage has given some success with interfacing with my new URC-8910.

I have been using the pdf document by Tommy N. Tyler dated 19 August 2007, wow this really did all the hard work finding a solution!

I have sourced all the components and even made my own PCB to mount them, I have however been unable to source a simple 74HC266 IC (quad exclusive nor gate with open drain.) None of the major electronics suppliers in Australia (Farnell or RS Components, Dick Smith, JayCar, Tandy.) have been able to supply a 74HC266 for me.

The logic chip seems easily available in the US for less than a $1.00 however to get this simple small IC freighted across the world to Australia is going to cost over $US 50.00 in freight alone! I don’t doubt that Mouser seem to have hefty freight costs, although this is more than twice what I paid for my entire URC8910 remote!

I was wondering if anyone knew of an equivalent IC or suitable replacement chip that I may be able to use instead of the 74HC266?

Or a chance that anyone reading this might know where I can get a 74HC266 in Australia ?

Regards,

Any help greatly appreciated!

Byron
jimdunn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failing all else, surely one of our American brethren could make arrangements to POST one to the poor soul...

(and possibly to me, too, in the fullness of time - since I am looking at trying 8910s to supplement my 7562s, and presumably I might hit the same snag)
Sad

Is it really so hard to get that part here ?

I've never looked (but I will tomorrow - it's late now)
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about eBay?. The seller of this item says he ships worldwide. At US$1.98 unit cost I'm sure he could send a few in one package and you could become the sole importer for the Southern Hemisphere.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this thread and the Customized 8910 thread, I think you and I should take this offline, underquark...

I sense the beginning of a global consortium here...

(Clatty, maybe, but the profits could run into shillings)

so shush...
TRXBoy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,

I had not thought about Ebay, I will check out the ebay link.

Certainly none of the mainstream suplpiers in Australia are interested in sourcing one.

If one of our US friends could source a chip and post I would GLADY HAPPILY THANKFULLY PAY them kindly for their help!

If you can help Please contact me off list so I can arrange to pay a kind soul that could send a chip.

Cheers!

Byron.
TRXBoy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Guys,

Our friends at RS-Components in Australia have just got back to me, It appears yes they can supply the IC I need!

There was an error in there online catalog,

The RS-Components part number is Australia is 2509627285

Sold as Texas Instruments SN74LS266NE4

Thanks for you efforts guys! I will order from RS-Components.

Regards,

Byron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: