JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8820/10820 Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garypen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: 8820/10820 Questions Reply with quote

I think it's time to move up from my 6131. It has good functionality I need, but not enough devices, and it's kind of small. (I also have 8910/9910's and 2116/2117's at home too, but I don't like the layout of the former, or the functionality of the latter.)

I think that the 8820 and 10820 both look like they might fit the bill. But, I have some questions for those familiar with them, before I buy:

1- What are the dimensions of each model? (LxWxD). I don't see that info listed in their manuals.

2- Do they come with the JP1.2 connector from the factory, or do I need buy modified remotes from Rob. (like I did with my 6131's)

3- Do the serial JP1.2 cables work with USB-Serial adapters? I have no serial ports on my laptop.

Thanks!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1- What are the dimensions of each model? (LxWxD). I don't see that info listed in their manuals.

URC 8820 measures 8.25x2 inches they are also noticably lighter than the other models, partly due to using only 2-AAA batteries.

Quote:
2- Do they come with the JP1.2 connector from the factory, or do I need buy modified remotes from Rob. (like I did with my 6131's)

yes they come with the connector from the factory, no mods necessary.

Quote:
3- Do the serial JP1.2 cables work with USB-Serial adapters? I have no serial ports on my laptop.

I'm using my JP1.2 cable with a USB-Serial adaptor.
kupakai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The URC-8820 is 8.5" x 2" and the depth tapers from about 5/8" at the front to about 3/4" in the back. I suppose your 6131 was the older version, since the 8820 looks exactly like the later 6131.
2. The JP1.2 connector is already there
3. I've used mine with USB-Serial adapter (Prolific chip), and it works fine on my laptop.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10820 has 10 device buttons whereas the 8820 has "only" 8. Internally, however, they are the same and I have one of my three 8820s set up with Shift-CBL and Shift-Aux1 to access the two extra devices. Plenty of memory is available for upgrades.
garypen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great. Thanks for all your help. The 2" is a little narrow. (Still wider than the lower two-thirds of the 6131) But, the 8.5" is over an inch longer than the 6131. I definitely like the layout in the diagram in the manual.

I think I'll check out Fry's today, and, if they don't have it, Best Buy. Of course, I won't have a cable for a few days. But, maybe the factory codes will hold me for a few days.
rickgtx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the URC-6820 "the baby of the family" for $11 at buy.com.

http://www.buy.com/prod/one-for-all-urc6820-6-device-upgradeable-learning-remote/q/loc/111/90144581.html

Need to buy something else for free shipping or use the one time Google checkout $10 off. I got a URC-9960 for $20 using the Google checkout $10 off.
garypen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. But, 6 devices is not enough. And, I'm not a Kameleon lover. I'll check Best Buy and Fry's. Even at $18, the 8820 seems like a damn good deal.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some photos:

urc-6131/ 6131n/ 8820

urc-8810/ 10820/ 8820
garypen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredibly helpful! Thanks Edmund!
andyross

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the x820's have the same sharp edged sides as the 6131n? I have one mainly as a backup and it's non-recessed Setup button while EFC trolling (I have an 8810 (bedroom) and 8910 (main) as my primary remotes). I ended up putting some black vinyl electrical tape on the sides to keep it from cutting into my hand.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 8820 has a sharp edge along the side. It would be very uncomfortable to use as my operational remote (I use it just for JP1.2 experimentation). I guess I could figure out some way to smooth it, if I really wanted to use it.

It seems like UEI really should know better than to put in design flaws like that.
garypen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys mean by "sharp-edged"?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I would sand it rather than tape it, if I wanted to use this remote.

Let me try to describe the shape: I talking about the side of the silver top section of the remote.

If you follow the top surface toward the side, it is nearly level, so there is a sharp, nearly 90 degree turn as it goes into a tiny vertical section. That is the sharpest angle, but not the problem one. That vertical section of the side (which is the widest part of the remote) is just a sixteenth of an inch high. Then there is a second corner about 45 degrees to a segment that cuts in to the indented side of the remote (The seam between the black bottom and silver top is at the top of that indented area).

The problem edge is at that 45 degree turn. It is badly molded and sticks out a tiny bit as a sharp blade. As your thumb or fingers sit into the indent, that blade cuts into your skin.

I think that whole sixteenth of an inch high widest part of the remote (at the sides of the top) is bad design and I would try to sand most of it away, not just the badly molded corner at the bottom of that sixteenth of an inch.
garypen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I already ordered an 8820 from Amazon, so I can't turn back now. But, it sounds like something that can be easily dealt with via sanding, planing, or filing. So, I'm not too worried.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's batch-specific? Mine can't at all be described as sharp. The corner at the seam is easily felt but I can't get it to cut me. I do have tough thumbs but not that tough. I have three 8820s and they have now replaced my 8910s. KAF has also increased to the extent that the kids shun the 8910 now. Vickyg2003's extender (surely soon to be released to the masses) is working well enough that oldest boy (9½ and tech-savvy) can't immediately tell difference between extended and unextended remote except former does more tricks. With the help of the people on here, I think you'll be happy with this remote, garypen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: