JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Channels and volume keys mapped to arrow keys
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickgtx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Channels and volume keys mapped to arrow keys Reply with quote

Hi, I mapped the channels and volume keys to the arrow keys on my URC-6820 to simulate the OEM remote.

Now, where is the best place for the arrow keys to go? I don't need them often. I tried shift-arrow, but it is a bit cumbersome.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Rick

BTW, This mapping of channels and volume keys to the arrow keys is the only way I can get my wife to use the remote. Smile
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a numeric keypad, AND you do not usually use direct input of channel numbers, how about 2, 4, 6, and 8 for U, L, R, and D?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
rickgtx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Thought of that but I need to enter channel numbers more than arrow keys. Also this is a TV/DVD so I need the play, stop, ff, rev too. Maybe something with LongKeyPress?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a LKP in the prebeta extender for this remote. If you're interested in testing let me know.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could create two versions of the upgrade, one with the ch/vol functions on the arrows and another with the real arrow functions on the arrow buttons. You could program the 2nd upgrade to one of the hidden device buttons and then switch to it when needed using a macro.
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two different TVs that I programmed a remote for used only 4 keys on the OEM remote that had printed the arrows and beside the buttons printed Vol+, Ch+, ... There were only the 4 codes and the TV did the right thing depending on whether it was displaying a menu or not. In this case, I programmed the same codes on the arrow buttons and on the Ch & Vol buttons.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a radical idea... Surprised

Why not map the functions to the appropriate buttons on the 6820? Wink

Or, if you're really set on having volume and channel control on the arrow buttons, I suppose you could map the arrows to the Vol and Ch buttons.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:

because...
rickgtx wrote:
BTW, This mapping of channels and volume keys to the arrow keys is the only way I can get my wife to use the remote. Smile

Remember Mark, WAF is the only rating that matters!
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help if we could see the OEM remote and know what its target device is because - as pH7 jp1 states - it might not be an issue.

LKP on volume and channel keys wouldn't - IMHO - be a good idea as these are keys that are generally pressed and held for a variable time. Doing something such as putting them on Shift-arrow and then making the Format button a Set or Shift key might, however, work.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Mark Pierson wrote:

because...
rickgtx wrote:

Remember Mark, WAF is the only rating that matters!
At the risk of sounding like a 19th-century male chauvinist pig, for crying out loud, tell her to get over herself, and that THIS is how it's gonna work! And if she doesn't want to use the remote, GREAT!

If the functions are mapped to clearly labeled logical buttons and do not require pressing shift keys nor undue concentration to know the difference between a long and short keypress, how much more straightforward could it be?! A person of normal intelligence, eyesight and manual dexterity will in two or three sessions learn and adapt to the "new" layout. Even a wife.

(on the other hand if there are extenuating circumstances not previously described (i.e. NOT normal intelligence, eyesight and manual dexterity) which REALLY make this a burden or impractical, rather than an individual's stubbornness to change, then keep trying to develop a workaround - but at some point one should weigh the cost vs. gain)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
rickgtx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
You could create two versions of the upgrade, one with the ch/vol functions on the arrows and another with the real arrow functions on the arrow buttons. You could program the 2nd upgrade to one of the hidden device buttons and then switch to it when needed using a macro.
This sounds interesting. Just need to figure out how.

For what it is worth, here is the OEM remote layout. I programed #14 keys to arrows. #30 keys are the ones I'm trying to find a place for. They are used for the DVD. This is a Haier HLTDC15 TV/DVD.

Thanks so much for the suggestions.
Rick
PS. I think this is a good example of bad remote design.
rickgtx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
If the functions are mapped to clearly labeled logical buttons and do not require pressing shift keys nor undue concentration to know the difference between a long and short keypress, how much more straightforward could it be?!

Why do it? Because I can. Wink

This is just a convenience. Many OEM remotes use an up/down & left/right for channels and volume. Channels and volume is probably 98% use of a TV remote. Once you orient your fingers, you do not have to look at the remote - great for those with glasses. I thought this was a common problem that had a clever solution.

Rick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickgtx wrote:
This sounds interesting. Just need to figure out how.

You already know how to create an upgrade, right? So, all you need to do is create two upgrades, one with the buttons arranged for the wife and another with the buttons arranged for you. Then assign the wife's upgrade to the standard device button that you intend to use for this device, and assign your upgrade to one of the hidden device buttons. Then, to activate the hidden device button, you would program a macro to one of the macro buttons (or any other button that works for you) where the only step in the macro is the hidden device button.
rickgtx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about assigning to a hidden device and how to get to it. With ir.exe I show 10 devices for my 6820 and I have 6 devices keys. So I picked the most likely 6 devices to program #1, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8. I left #2, 5, 9, and 10 alone. The AUD device #8 is my TV/DVD 2015.

So I make another upgrade like DVD/2016 and put it another device, like #2 SAT? Then how do I access it?

These are devices I control:
0093*TV Sharp
0490*DVD Panasonic
1039 DVD Pye DVR Mod PY90DG
1314 DVD Apex TV/DVD Mod 1314DV
1330 VCR Tobshiba TV/VCR Mod MV13N3
2015 DVD Haier TV/DVD Model HLTDC15
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To access up to ten devices on a 6820, define a macro for each device you want whose device key doesn't physically exist.

Those extra four device keys do exist in the firmware, so you can include a press of one of those device keys in a macro and it will function correctly even though the button doesn't physically exist.

If you don't have enough extra buttons (such as M1 and M2) to dedicate to those macros, you can use "shifted" buttons. A quick press and release of SET before another button shifts it. Since SET is harder to press than other buttons, you might want another macro for that (I think this trick works in an 6820, but I'm not certain): Dedicate some other key as shift, and make it a macro containing just SET, then you can define multiple shifted keys and they will be easier to use than if you had left SET as the only shift key.

Last edited by johnsfine on Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: