JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Where is the ANYKEY?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gstrickland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Where is the ANYKEY? Reply with quote

Tech Support: Thank you for calling, how may I help you?

Customer: My keyboard is defective. It has no anykey. The software is telling me, "Press any key to continue..." and I don't have one.

Ok... I'm not really asking where the anykey is... but something almost as stupid. Where is the shift key? I'm starting to play around with Remote Master and I see that I can assign different functions to the shifted state of keys. Since there isn't a button on my 8910s (or any other remote I own) labeled "shift," I'm at a loss to understand which button actually functions as a shift key.

And while we're at it, do I have to call the ghost of Lamont Cranston to determine where the three "phantom" keys are?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Shift"="Set"=green "P"="Magic", depending on what model UEIC remote you have. I believe it is labelled "set" on the 8910. It's the button you press in order to program the remote manually from the keypad or for direct access to EFCs ("Advanced codes" in UEIC parlance).

Phantom keys are just that - phantoms. They do not exist on the keyboard, but can have functions, keymoves, macros etc assigned to them. They are usually used by people to save functions or macros that are not required to be accessed directly from a keypress, but to include in OTHER macros, DSM, or other key sequences.

And they're not called "Shadow" keys, so I doubt that Lamont Cranston (or even Kent Allard) would have any knowledge about them, but you might inquire of Lee Falk or Kit Walker. Laughing

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
kupakai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to ask about that as well awhile back. Smile The shift key is the SETUP key. Press and release the SETUP and then press the key you want.

The phantom keys are keys that do not have physical keys on the remote, but there is a space for it in the remotes programming. It's useful for assigning functions that is used only in macros.
rickgtx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I missed that too. So to use an OEM's remote setup function could I put it on "shift setup" on the URC-6960? Then press setup two short times. Would the regular remote setup still be there on a long press?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickgtx wrote:
...could I put it on "shift setup" on the URC-6960? Then press setup two short times. Would the regular remote setup still be there on a long press?
Yes, you can assign a Keymove to the Setup button or to the shift-Setup button. I expect that on a long press it should behave normally. You know how you can find out? Give it a try. Wink

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
spinquick

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for asking this question, as I have wondered about the 'Shift' and 'Phantom' keys.
Another area that I do not understand are discrete codes. I have some macros that work well, except do not know how to enter the codes to allow the equipment to remain 'on' if already operating. Someone please explain how discrete codes work, and how to program them.

Thanks.l
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some manufacturers have ON and OFF codes as well as Toggle On and OFF. Many manufactures only have Toggle buttons. For some reason these are called Toads. Toggle only device maybe?

In a macro, if you have a discrete code, you can turn the device on in your macro. If its already on, no harm done.

However if you have a toggle only device, then you have a couple of avenues.

You can use a ToadTog protocol, that keeps track of the state of your equipment. This works if you don't have multiple remotes and nobody turns on/off your equipnent manually.

Or

You can use an LKP. I'm a big fan of the LKP protocol. If my user presses the key normally no changes are made except the remote now controls the desired device. If the user presses and holds the device button, it runs through a macro that does the initial setup for that device.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discrete (meaning seperate or distinct; not discrete which means prudent, modest, or circumspect) codes are seperate codes for specific functions.

Most of us are familiar with the power toggle code. If the device is off, this code causes the device to turn on. If the device is off, this code causes the device to turn on. Some devices support discrete on and off codes. A discrete on code would turn the device on if it is off, but would leave it on if it is already on. A discrete off code would turn the device off it is on, but would leave it off it is already off.

Another example are the input select codes. Most TVs have multiple inputs (e.g. Video 1, Video 2, S-Video 1, S-Video 2, Component, DVI, etc.) Some TV's have only a "input cycle" code, which will cause the TV to switch to the next input. So if the active input is "Video 1", you must send 4 "input cycle" commands to get to the Component input. But if the curent input is S-Video 1, you must only send 2 "input cycle" commands.

Other TVs have discrete codes for each input, so there is a code which will cause the TV to switch to that input regardless of the currently active input. So sending the "Component input" code would cause the TV to switch directly to the Component input, regardless of which input is active.

Discrete codes are only useful for devices that support them. For example, Toshiba TVs are notorious for not supporting discrete codes. There is no discrete on code or discrete off code to which they will respond. There is only the power toggle code.

If your devices don't support discrete codes you can't use them.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)

Last edited by gfb107 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
Discrete...not discrete...
...Toshina TVs are notorious for not supporting discrete codes.

Eh, would that be Toshiba? Toshina:

is a discrete Chinese girl of my acquaintance.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TOAD=Toggle Only Actuated Device

Amazon Firestick
spinquick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
If your devices don't support discrete codes you can't use them.

Excuse my ignorance, but I need some guidance here. How does one tell if the device supports discrete codes? Is there documentation in the beginner part of this forum on how to program for them?

Thanks.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you ever wanted to know about discrete codes:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1744
spinquick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!!
sfhub

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the ANYKEY? Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok... I'm not really asking where the anykey is... but something almost as stupid. Where is the shift key?

The shift key is anykey, you define the button keycode in IR Smile
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is the ANYKEY? Reply with quote

sfhub wrote:
Quote:
Ok... I'm not really asking where the anykey is... but something almost as stupid. Where is the shift key?

The shift key is anykey, you define the button keycode in IR Smile
Not to be anally-retentive, but that's only true for remotes running an extender. On unextended (i.e. normal) remotes, the shift key is fixed.

Amazon Firestick
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: