JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR.exe won't detect my remote! Please help.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deanis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: IR.exe won't detect my remote! Please help. Reply with quote

Hi.

I am using an URC-9910 remote. I just got it and downloaded all the files specified on the "beginner PLEASE read this first" thread.

I'm simply following those directions step-by-step and when I plugged in my remote and started up IR.exe, it wouldn't detect the remote. When I pressed the "Download from remote" tab, it told me the there was no response form the interface and that I should make sure I'm using the correct port. IR.exe was using 378 (I tried a couple others, but no success). I'm not sure how to check the parallel port on windows (or via command line) but I went through the start menu > control panel > system, then hit the "harddware" tabe and selected the "device maneger" button.

The only two ports ere the communications port (COM1) and the printer port (LPT1). I went to "properties" for the printer port and in the "general" tab it said it was enabled, and in the "resources" tab it had two lines for I/O Range: 0378-037F and 0778-077F. I tried changing the port address in IR.exe to a bunch of different numbers in those ranges to no avail.

Wierd thing: when I plugged in my remote it had fresh batteries. The power came on with nothing on the display. After nothing worked, the remote was heated up and when I disconnected it, the power went off after saying the batteries are low. The were brand new batteries.

Anyways, plase help. I've given all the info I can think of and have searched your forums but can't find an answer.

Thanks for any info/insight anyone can give.

Deanis
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read thie following, and if so, have you tried all of the combinations...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5849
deanis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I've tried those combinations.

Related? question: Should the remote be powered (turned on, the display lit up,...) when I connect the JP1 cable? My 9910 turns on automatically and stays on while it's plugged in as long as there are batteries in (in the starndard configuration).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. When you download from the remote, the screen will do the "all characters on" thing that it does when you first put the batteries in, but then if you don't do anything else, it will go back to sleep even while connected to the cable.

It's sounds like you may have a short in the cable. Did you make it yourself or did you buy it?
deanis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I connect it, it simply powers on (with ablank screen) and stays on with a blank screen.

I bought it from the DIYgadget.

Is there anyway to double check that it's the cable and not the remote? Could it be anything else? Can I repair it?

Jeepers. I got a JP1 remote because it was cheaper and I thought it would be fun. Looks like it's quickly becoming neither...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deanis wrote:
Jeepers. I got a JP1 remote because it was cheaper and I thought it would be fun. Looks like it's quickly becoming neither...

Wow, you get discouraged quickly. I would suggest that you see if you can return the remote and cable.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had trouble with all of my 28 JP1 remotes. I've got the world's pickiest parallel port. I suggest letting the remote sit with batteries overnight and then remove the batteries press a key, and then give it a try.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case it's of any help, here is my setup on a system that (roll on kiss of death) seems to always connect OK via JP1:

Using IR version 7.02
IR.EXE in "C:\Program Files\JP1\ir702.exe"
RDF's in a subdirectory off that directory
gwiopm.sys in same directory as IR.EXE

PC with serial, parallel and USB ports straight off motherboard (as opposed to being on a PCI card etc.)

Windows XP Home, SP2 with latest updates, latest Java etc.

Parallel port settings (reported from Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Ports...):

ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
Legacy plug-and-pray disabled
Port Settings - Never use an interrupt
Driver Version - 5.1.2600.0 (date 01/07/2001)
I/O ranges - 0378-037F; 0778-077B; DMA 03

I think, from previous posts, that ECP printer setting is important and believe that it can be changed in the BIOS at boot-up.

Sorry if it's obvious and I'm sure you've already thought of this, but plugging the cable in the correct way round is also vital.

Battery voltage seems important in some PCs. I generally use rechargeables in my 8910 and this gives 4.8V as opposed to 6V but I haven't had problems with "real" batteries either.
deanis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still nothing. Anyone know if my remote or the JP1 cable needs replacing?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deanis wrote:
When I connect it, it simply powers on (with ablank screen) and stays on with a blank screen.

I bought it from the DIYgadget.

Is there anyway to double check that it's the cable and not the remote? Could it be anything else? Can I repair it?

I'm not sure what "Powers On" means with respect to an 8910. If the screen is blank, what exactly is "ON"? Is it transmitting something?

Have you tried reversing the connector?

Have you tried opening up the JP1 interface and inspecting it vs. the drawings of a properly-constructed one? The linked document also has some testing steps you could try.

If the interface is indeed bad, discuss it with the vendor to negotiate a return for a replacement.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
deanis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Powers on" means that the screen is blank but the backlighting is on (the buttons and screen are backlit red).

Yes, I've treid reversing the connector.

I will look into the link as you suggested.

Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My money is on a faulty cable.
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with this too and I dont think its faulty cable with me as my cable was working with the laptop I sold. I have a new laptop with no serial port so am trying to use JP1 on my desktop. All my settings are as per underquarks above but when I check the driver status in IR is reads

Serial/Parallel Error:
Problem with NT port driver:
StartDriver: Unable to start service
This driver has been blocked from loading. Please make sure you have Admin rights.

I do have admin rights on win XP64. Is it the driver not loading or something else that is the problem. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Actually I'm wondering if its because I'm using XP64 now.
Ube_Astard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opologies guys, I booted into a XP partition and it works OK. So it wont work on 64bit systems then. Should of realised before but didnt think till I re-read my above post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: